Quantcast Mission Space - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mission Space

Post Thanks / Like

Neither DD or I found it to be scary. I think for first timers all of the signs in the line can be a bit daunting, but they have to post them for legal reasons.

Having said that, though, DD can't handle the full strength side. I was completely fine, but she has problems with spinning rides, and didn't feel quite right the rest of the day afterwards. Not falling down sick or anything, just a bit of a headache and slightly nausous. And this is someone who LOVES roller coasters and other thrill rides. She could happily ride ToT or EE all day long, but put her in a gravitron or those octopus arm spinning rides (midway fair rides), and it's city.

If someone is clausterphobic, though, I would say STAY AWAY. There is literally no room to move once you're strapped in.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Mission Space is probably the most intense ride on Disney Property by a long shot. The warnings are there for a reason! I enjoy most thrill rides, so I figured MS would be really cool. After the first ride, I felt OK. The second time through I still felt OK, but things were a little off. After the third, that was enough (thankfully there was nobody else I had to go with).

By a little off I mean, I felt OK, but I was a little light headed. The third ride I was done with rides for the night. Anything else and it could have ended bad for the janitorial staff.

This was before Mission Space Lite. I've since gone on MS Lite and it is very different than the full monty version. It's still a great experience, but it's really nothing like the original. The original is definitely worth checking out if you can hack it, but I would start with the lite version for sure.

I'll check out the original again one of thses days, but it's not a ride that I need to go on each time I visit. . That's the problem with MS. It's too good/real for it's own good. Not that I know what it's like to launch into space, but if it's anything like MS then a lot of people aren't ready for space travel yet.

Post Thanks / Like

It put me out for 36 hours -- after I redecorated the bathroom at Electric Umbrella

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I have ridden this ride three times. And each time, I loved it and I do get motion sick.

Not so bad that it ruined my day, but enough that I had to sit down and have a drink. Usually we toured Innoventions after I sat down for a little while.

Post Thanks / Like

When I went on Mission Space for the first time my DS who was 8 years old. He is naturally tentative about new things and did not want to go on the ride after seeing a commercial. I knew that he would love it based on prior experiences so I "talked him into it" after some encouragement. We did the more intense side (were there 2 versions then, not sure??). Well he loved it and wanted to go get back in line for Round Two. I, on the other hand, was nearly ready to "loose my lunch". Luckily I was able to suggest we ride Test Track first before returning... I have ridden many times but never twice in a row. If you have trouble with spinning rides I would opt for the less intense version.
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

For the many times we have been to DW and the variety of people we have gone with ranging from 5 to 75 that have rode mission space, no one in our group has ever gotten sick. If this type of ride make you feel bad, this one will. If not, it is worth the try in my opinion.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastpasssteve View Post
    If you can ride a tilt-a-whirl and teacups, you should have no problem. The G-forces as you "leave earth's gravity" is so cool.

Now, obviously, there are a few basic rules:
    Don't ride it if you've just had a huge meal.
    I've found riding Mission Space is a lot like martini's: One isn't enough, two is great, and three is too much.

Have a great trip!
    Those are more like guidelines, really.

It really comes down to how well you handle spinning. If the teacups bother you only because they don't go fast enough, then the Orange version of the ride probably won't be a problem. If looking at the teacups makes you dizzy, then skip the ride.

(FWIW, the last time I got the chance to ride it, it was after cruising around the Food & Wine festival for a while. I was rather full, of both good food and various libations, but three quick rides of the Orange didn't bother me in the slightest. But I had ridden it in rapid succession on previous trips, so I wasn't worried about it.)
    Current running streak - 551 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 233.13. Last update: 2/21/10.

Post Thanks / Like

The teacups do make me VERY dizzy. However, if you follow the instructions to the letter the video screen will trick your mind into feeling like you are going in a straight line and not in a circle.

If you look away, you will feel what is really happening and get sick.

I feel dizzy in the same way I feel dizzy when I ride too many roller coasters in a row.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ???

Myself and my kids were OK but my FIL was sick for a few hours? Depends on the person

Post Thanks / Like

When I first went on MS, was back when, before the Green Team was there... it was intense but exhilarating... but afterwards, I just had that "off" feeling people have described... it went away after about an hour... as someone has already said... the trick is to keep your head still and eyes open at all times!!! From then on, I have been doign the green side, everytime I go back I _think_ about doing the orange side but haven't been able to grab that card... maybe this time ... maybe..
    SorcererJim

Post Thanks / Like

My 1st time on Mission Space, there was no green side, and I gotta tell you, it was tough for me, (I'm not much for the spinning stuff), and I can see why there was bags onboard! but DH and DD LOVED it! Although, DH did admit later on, that he felt a little nauseated for awhile afterwards! But, now, I'm all about the green side, and can' wait to get back "in space" in October.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have been on MS one time on the less intense
    side and that was enough intense for me. I did
    not like it so I have only been on it one time.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: