Quantcast Animal Kingdom Early Opening: Good idea/bad idea?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Animal Kingdom Early Opening: Good idea/bad idea?

So, my family is making yet another trip to the World in July. It will be trip number 20 something for most of us (but trip number 2 for my son!).

Since times are a little tough, we're not going to add the park hopper option to our tickets, saving us in the neighborhood of $200.

We were wondering if Animal Kingdom is significantly less crowded on the mornings that are NOT early opening, and should we go to AK the day before or after early opening? Any suggestions?
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is to hit the AK on the day after an evening EMH. If you're not hopping, I would not go on an EMH day.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have park hopping, why not do AK on a day with an evening extra magic hours... I don't think the extra monrning hours are all that great. Well they are, but I wouldn't lock myself into the day there for only one hour.

AK really is a different park at night, worth seeing it at least once, and without hopping, you won't have the option to otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    If you don't have park hopping, why not do AK on a day with an evening extra magic hours... I don't think the extra monrning hours are all that great. Well they are, but I wouldn't lock myself into the day there for only one hour.

AK really is a different park at night, worth seeing it at least once, and without hopping, you won't have the option to otherwise.
    I agree with DizneyRox. Our recent trip we decided to not get the park hopping option too to save on $. We chose parks that only had even EMH. Actually, we only ever park hopped so we could see evening shows like Fantasmic more than once (and that was when they were doing them nightly). We otherwise really didn't "hop" so it was a good savings for something that we never really used much. Now we just make sure to choose nights with our show preferences in mind. It is really not so bad being "stuck" in one park. We used our FP really well and had a great time! We are planning to skip the PH option for our up and coming Dec trip, so planning parks in advance is important and matching our ADR's conveniently too.

Have fun!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

I made plans for my coming trip based on what show (fireworks) we wanted to see over the course of the week, and the EMH (evening only - we like to sleep in). That way we could avoid Park Hopping. Things worked out very well...but glad I made all my ADR's on my 180th day out.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

One thing I will say about the morning EMH at the AK - it's a bit unique with the ability to do the morning safari. The animals always seem to be most active when they first come out on safari. So we've found it to be a real treat to do the safari during the morning EMH.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with the comment above. Since its SOOO hot here in FL, the early morning is when the animals tend to be up and roaming about. EMH days are the only times that I go to AK, to go on the safari ride. Enjoy!
    acts: "It all started with a mouse..."-Walter Elias Disney

May '15 Offsite;Dec '14 AKL; Aug '14 GF; May '14 ASM; Aug '13 CTMP; May '13 YC; Dec '12 ASM; Apr '12 AKL; Feb '12 CBR; Mar '10; 2009-1975 Too many....

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it was a fluke or not, but in Jan we tried AK early entry for the 1st time & the buses from AKL where we were staying were ridiculously packed. When we got to the park however, we rode Dinosaur with noone else on the ride with us, Everrest twice with literally no wait, getting off, getting right back on and hit the safari with about a 5 min wait & saw TONS of animals. We were finishing up the safari right at regular opening time. We then went to the 1st Lion King show, had lunch and left. It was AWESOME!
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Default works for us

We get there at rope drop. Go straight to everest. Wife gets FP while we ride 2-3 times with virtually no wait. Do the FP. Then over to safari, not much wait (unless not all the busses running). Then to dino land for Dinosaur. take in Lion King, Finish with ribs at Flame and done by noon or alittle after. on to another park or rest at resort .

Post Thanks / Like

Just to point out, the OP doesn't have park hopping, so they won't be able to go to another park...

If you're looking to get AK over with, yes, going in the morning will get you out an hour sooner. While I do't understand the desire to fly through this beautiful park, many people do.

I suggest picking the evening EMH day to visit so that you can extend your day in the park. It usually closes earlier than the others, often before sunset and seeing AK with the lights on and the insects chirping, etc, is just fantastic. It's a totally different park at night, and without park hopping, you wo't be ale to just stop by and see what the hub bub is all about.

For many, park hopping is for AK and MGM, both 1/2 day parks by many standards, but at least with AK, you really can get a full day plus out of the park. On our upcoming trip I expect to spend about 4-5 days at AK.

Post Thanks / Like

I would definately say go on the day with EMH. The animals on Kilamanjaro Safaris are more active in the early morning and later in the evening. You would be surprised at how many more animals you would see. And since your not park hopping you could enjoy the park at a more leisurely pace.
    PharmD
    Off Property 76,82,92,97,98,99
    ASMov 5/00,1/02,9/03,1/06,12/03,8/08
    ASSports 12/01
    ASMus 3/02,7/02
    PopCe 4/04,5/04,10/05
    PORS 10/06,10/10
    CSR 10/09
    POFQ 11/11
    CB 6/12
    CB 5/13
    Disney Fantasy 10/15

Next Renewal of Magic:
    PopCe 8/16

Post Thanks / Like

We never get park hoppers so I know exactly what you mean about saving money. We found that the EMH early hours were not really crowded. Of course I have never been in July so I am not sure how they are then. However in May we found that alot of people didn't take advantage of the EMH morning hours.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbwillie View Post
    We get there at rope drop. Go straight to everest. Wife gets FP while we ride 2-3 times with virtually no wait. Do the FP. Then over to safari, not much wait (unless not all the busses running). Then to dino land for Dinosaur. take in Lion King, Finish with ribs at Flame and done by noon or alittle after. on to another park or rest at resort .
    Wow... you have missed so much...
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: