Quantcast Crowds during thanksgiving vs mardi gras

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Crowds during thanksgiving vs mardi gras

We are trying to plan our next trip. We have decided that May is no longer a good time for us. We are thinking the week of thanksgiving or the week during mardi Gras. I have heard mixed reviews about both of these weeks. My dh is not a crowd kind of person and hates to wait in lines. So I am trying to figure out which week would be the better option as far as crowds go. Has anyone been during these times? How long are wait times for rides usually? Please tell me about your experiences during these times. Thanks
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard Mardi Gras is bad if it falls the same week as Presidents Day but I'm thinking Mardi Gras is late in 2011 so that might be a good time to go.....

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

If he doesn't like crowds DON'T go the week of Thanksgiving.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been during Thanksgiving but have heard it is very busy. I went during Mardi Gras in 2009 which was the week after President's Day week and it was moderately busy. Friends of our went this year during Mardi Gras which fell on the same week as President's Day and they said crowds were the same as in 2009. I would definitely pick Mardi Gras over Thanksgiving.
    Sassy2000

Prior to 2007 off site
    Oct 07 AS Music
    Apr 08 AS Movies
    Dec 08 CSR & POR
    Feb 09 Pop

Nov/Dec 09 CBR &AKL
    May 10 CSR
    Oct 10 Poly!!
    May 11 AS Music
    Oct 11 AKV & BWV
    Feb 12 AKV
    Feb 13 POR Royal Room

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I heard that Thanksgiving week was one of the best times to go. See thats why I need the experts advice- all of my fellow intercotees!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Being from Louisiana, Mardi Gras is USUALLY a good time to go. However, from experience I can tell you that you have to watch when Mardi Gras falls. If it happens to fall during President's week, AVOID going. Also, if it falls during Daytona weekend, we avoid going. This Mardi Gras looks good, because it avoids both of those two dates. We went in early May this year to avoid the President's Week conflict.
    I haven't been during Thanksgiving, but friends have told me that it's crowded. If you don't want large crowds, I'd suggest Mardi Gras 2011. Keep in mind, that it won't be super empty, but it will be less crowded than Thanksgiving. We noticed a lot of people from Rio at Mardi Gras on vacation too. I guess after doing the Mardi Gras thing all of your life, it kind of gets old.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We went during the week of Thanksgiving 2 years ago and found the crowds to be relatively light. I think the longest wait for any of the rides at all the parks was the safari at AK. We waited about 45 minutes. We did however avoid MK Thanksgiving day. We loved the weather and crowds that week and are going back again for Thanksgiving this year. Hope this helps.
    Valerie
    1st Trip:
    Carribean Beach Resort-Thanksgiving Week 2008
    2nd Trip:
    Carribean Beach Resort-Thanksgiving Week 2010

"Next stop, Jamaica!"

Post Thanks / Like

We've been twice for Thanksgiving and it was not as bad as most people make it out to be. Our first Thankgiving trip was in 2007 and we were surprised at how uncrowded the parks were. We did avoid the parks on Thanksgiving day, then the day after Thanksgiving we went to Epoct and it was packed, but that was our only bad day and we still had a blast. Our second Thanksgiving trip was in 2009 and there were even less people than our first Tday trip. Once again we avoided the parks on Thanksgiving day, and decided to try Epcot again on the day after and it was no where near as packed as two years prior. The holiday decorations are beautiful and definitely an added bonus of going at that time of year. We are going for Mardi Gras in 2011 mainly because it appears to fall at a wonderful time, early March this year, and my son's birthday is the day after Mardi Gras and he's always wanted to spend a birthday in WDW. I'm hoping its not crowded and the weather is perfect!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: