Quantcast Best shoes for water parks?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best shoes for water parks?

Hello all!

DH and I are throwing together a very quick, two-day visit when we're down at his aunt's next week. I have very little time to plan, which is not the way I like to roll. I've never been to either of the water parks and am wondering if someone can recommend a good pair of shoes/sandals for the TL? I've never been there and not quite sure how shoes work on the water slides. I don't want to walk around barefoot but I'm not sure what I would wear on slides.

Any advice about this would be appreciated!
    1990 - Shades of Green w/ mom, dad, sister and Grammy
    1994 - CBR w/ mom, dad, and sister
    1998 - Pleasure Island w/ sorority sisters
    2004 - CBR
    2010 - One day at MK with my new husband
    2015 - 40th anniversary celebration with my parents, my sister's family,and my family...can't wait!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a lover of the standard-issue flip-flop. I wear them walking around, but take them off to go on water slides and such. I don't know if there are rules governing footwear on the slides and other attractions...like the lazy river innertube float thingy.

Post Thanks / Like

we walk into the park in Tevas...but tend to go barefoot most of the day
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We're going to be at BB tomorrow for the first time! We've also never been to either water park, but I plan on bringing my croc flops to wear into the park, but assumed we'd be barefoot most of the day.
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I swear by water socks - or water shoes - they're usually a stretchy material on the upper and rubber soles. Designed to get wet. We seldom go barefoot and so have very tender feet! We wear our usual sneakers or Crocs to the park and change into them there.

We get ours at Canadian Tire, but I saw them in the Buffalo Walmart last time we were visiting our friends. Generally about 5 to 8 dollars. We take the insole out - it tends to slip and bunch up. Works amazingly for us.
    Once as a kid
    Sept 1992 with hubby offsite
    May 2005 Disneyland Paris!
    Sept 2005 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2007 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2009 with hubby - AS Sports!
    Sept 2014 with hubby - POP!

Post Thanks / Like

We did the Croc thing the last time we were at Blizzard Beach.

Now, I'm not a huge slide person, but I did wear them in the wave pool, in the lazy river and on the slide that I did go on.

We've also done the water shoe thing, and found it worked great too! I wouldn't go barefoot, there are lots of places where the ground is really hot on the bottom of the feet.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We will be wearing Tevas when we're there next week.

Post Thanks / Like

I also recommend (and use) Water Shoes, specifically. Crocs are a good second choice. I wear crocs to our pool a lot, and you can even swim with them on! However, they are bulky, and you can't so much "swim" as just walk underwater.

On the slides, you can leave your shoes on. They don't make you take them off, except on the speed slide.

You can buy water shoes at the water park, or at Target, Walmart, etc. They are easy to find this time of year and they are so cheap that they are disposable after a few uses.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I use water shoes. We go in August when the sidewalks are very hot. The water flows through the shoes on the water slides just fine.

I think I got the shoes from Lands End.

Post Thanks / Like

Please have some type of water shoes for your children at the water parks! A boy behind us was saying, 'I'm burning! I'm burning!' His dad replied, 'Walk in the shade!'

Dad, it was in the 90's that day. There was no shade..

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for the water shoes. Keep in mind TL has lots of sand. Getting that caught between the footbed of a sandle and your foot could cause problems. Water shoes are enclosed and resist the sand better. Now if I could just get someone to design them so they mimic the look of sandles or sneakers I'd be in . The gaudy colors and icky styles make them uglier than crocs!
    Goofy Texan

August 2010 AS-Movies • June 2008 Pop Century • June 2006 AS-Movies
    May 2002 POR • May 2000 AS-Music • May 1998 AS Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing that Fastpasssteve does. Flip flops and then take them off on the rides. I've tried the water shoes but don't like the way they feel on my feet and I really hate it when they get sand in them.

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never worn footwear around the water parks, too much hassle. The paths do get hot over the course of the day but I've managed, normally by finding patches of the path that either have water on them or are in the shade every few steps. If all else fails it means I walk faster so get more done.

If that doesn't work for you then it would make sense to get something you can put on with wet feet. This will save you having to dry your feet off between moving from one place to another. For example flipflops would be better here than sneakers.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Last time we were at Typhoon Lagoon was August. Yes, it was hot. But it was such a pain to keep flip flops on in and out of the water, that I ended up sticking them in a locker. It was absolutely no problem to go around barefoot. The pavement was wet almost everywhere and we never had a burning feet issue. Not to say it can't happen, and the water shoes are good to have for kids, especially kids who don't like to watch where they step. But a group of adults shouldn't have much trouble navigating barefoot if going without shoes is the preference.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    On the slides, you can leave your shoes on. They don't make you take them off, except on the speed slide.

You can buy water shoes at the water park, or at Target, Walmart, etc. They are easy to find this time of year and they are so cheap that they are disposable after a few uses.

Right... DH bought his at the park and only had to take them off on the speed slide. I went barefoot, it's much easier for me...
    "Thank you for choosing Magic Carpet for all your travel needs. Don't stand till the rug has come to a complete stop. Thank you, good bye now, good bye, thank you, good bye..."

1984, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008,
    2010 x 3, 2011 x 3, 2012

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: