Quantcast Rain Panchos/Gear?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rain Panchos/Gear?

I know that it generally rains daily at Disney, and was wondering where to get the best/most economical rain panchos? They can all be adult sizes since my DS is almost 12. I don't want to pay a fortune, but want a better quality than the $.99 cent ones. Any suggestions?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some quality yet affordable ponchos at Target. In the past, I've bought cheap plastic but I think I will also be buying higher quality ponchos this year! It is DEFF a good idea to buy some that come in a small case so you can crunch them up and make them compact... otherwise they become a hassle to carry.
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

We used the the .99 ponchos for a few trips, but found that they ripped much too easily. So we decided to go with more durable ones that we found at the sporting goods store (in the camping section) for less than $10.

We used them on a couple of trips last year and were very happy them. In addition to not ripping, they didn't cling to you, so wearing them was alot for comfortable. We were worried that they'd be too bulky to carry around, but they easily folded.

Post Thanks / Like

The one good thing about buying a ponch at DW is if it gets torn, you can get it replaced if you still have the receipt.

We bought ponchos from Walmart last year...they were bigger than the Disney Ponchos and it made it easier to spot our strollers when we had them over the top of them. We bought them not thinking they'd ever make it out of the package.....We wore them proabably 85% of the time we were down there.......we were so glad to throw them away when the trip was over.
    1995 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2002 All Star Sports
    2004 CBR
    2008 Wilderness Lodge and Coronado
    2009 Pop
    2011 Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto the Target suggestion. They appear to have "inexpensive" ones (not "cheap") and "moderately-priced" ones. If you want to go all out, I'd suggest REI either locally or online for the "high performance" ones.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine at Walmart last year. I bought it specifically for Kali river rapids as we always are SOAKED when we get off of that ride. I hate walking around in soggy clothes all day! When I asked my children if they wanted one they laughed and said NO. However once on the ride they made sure they sat next to me and spread my poncho as far over them as they could. I was laughung so hard. In any case the poncho was of good quality was only a few bucks and it came with it own little pouch to stuff back into once it was dry. So I did not have to carry it around all day it folded up nicely and right back into my purse.
    1972 - 1995 - Stayed with family or camped
    1996 - 2003 - All Stars
    2004 - Disneyland
    2006 - All Stars
    04/14/07 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    04/19/08 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    05/02/09 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    08/28/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like my Disney ponchos and umbrella... We use them at the parks and at home too...I don't think that they are overpriced and they are also great for outdoors at home...
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

The Disney ponchos we bought at WDW- while more costly- lasted us for years before one ripped (and only 1 of the 4)! Well worth the small investment and always keeps us dry. Sometimes too some stores have more durable pack-n- wear anoraks that can fold up into a little attached pouch. I have found those on occassion at Old Navy and Gap. They come in different colors and are made of a nylon or poly blend I think.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We always go with the 99 cent ones, simply because they are compact, and most of all - because I don't mind chucking them when we're done. I hate dealing with wet ponchos.

However, Walmart (and I am sure others) have ones in their camping section which are still quite compact, but are made with thicker plastic (rather than the clear, dry-cleaner bag stuff that the 99 cent ones are). They are solid colors (red, blue, green) and not transparent. We have had some for years that we have used over and over again and they haven't torn. They cost about $3 or $4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biodtl View Post
    We always go with the 99 cent ones, simply because they are compact, and most of all - because I don't mind chucking them when we're done. I hate dealing with wet ponchos.

However, Walmart (and I am sure others) have ones in their camping section which are still quite compact, but are made with thicker plastic (rather than the clear, dry-cleaner bag stuff that the 99 cent ones are). They are solid colors (red, blue, green) and not transparent. We have had some for years that we have used over and over again and they haven't torn. They cost about $3 or $4.
    We may check these out...
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

If possible, try on the poncho before purchasing. We found that some seemed to have a smaller hood opening making it uncomfortable to wear.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite quote:

What's wrong? Ain't you never taken a shower before?
    My take is, it's just water, and (if you go when I go), the downpour is welcome, short lived and you dry so quick, I never even bother with a poncho.

I hate sticking to those things, I gave up on them years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I can't remember how much they cost, honestly, the Disney ponchos are quite durable. I have used mine on 3 trips and counting and never had a problem with it!

I don't have kids so I don't how well this would go over but... maybe you could try and pass it off as one of their souvenirs?
    Many trips as a child!
    March 2006 - POR
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - ASMu
    February 2009 - Offsite
    May 2010 - SSR
    February 2012 - SSR
    August 2012 - CSR
    October 2013 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We have the ones from Disney and have had
    them for years. We use them everytime we go
    which is at least two times a year. So they have
    lasted a long time. I think it is worth the money.
    FIRST TRIP 1972
    LAST TRIP NOV. 2009
    NEXT TRIP MAY 2010
    AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    My take is, it's just water, and (if you go when I go), the downpour is welcome, short lived and you dry so quick, I never even bother with a poncho.
    Our problem is that when we go and either rain or K-rapids soak us, if we don't have a change, we stay wet, due to the rampant humidity. For the rapids, we don't bother with ponchos, but we do bring pretty complete changes of clothes and backpacks.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by btharvey View Post
    Our problem is that when we go and either rain or K-rapids soak us, if we don't have a change, we stay wet, due to the rampant humidity. For the rapids, we don't bother with ponchos, but we do bring pretty complete changes of clothes and backpacks.
    I go in July, and still dry quickly with the humidity... If you're talking about sneakers, I don't wear sneakers in the summer. Too hot and they stink after getting wet.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been avoiding buying ponchos for years, but on our last trip we had an entire evening of rain, and we were caught.

Turns out, we LOVE our Disney ponchos. They have lasted quite well, and we even wear them around here, just to bring some of the Disney spirit home with us
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I go in July, and still dry quickly with the humidity... If you're talking about sneakers, I don't wear sneakers in the summer. Too hot and they stink after getting wet.
    I'm afraid we all soak for hours after ... then again we're kinda sweaty people, so the rain or water just melds into sweat, and it feals no different.

Each of us in our own way. Agreed about the sneakers ... we keep them in the backpack and wear flipflops during the rapids.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06

Post Thanks / Like

We got caught in an all day rain this past Sunday at the MK. I bought all of us Disney ponchos even though I did not want to spend the money!!! Turns out, they are great ponchos. They are thick enough and textured so they do not stick to you like the cheap "garbage bag" ones. None of us got even a little wet! It is a great investment!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If your kids are little, you should think about getting non-Disney ponchos, or decorating the backs of the Disney ones somehow - I will never forget the shrieks when my five year old pulled her hand out of mine, and instantly lost the rest of us in a sea of yellow ponchos.

(The five year old is now fourteen, and seems to have survived the trauma)
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: