Quantcast 2010 Phillies thread

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2010 Phillies thread

For those new to the Locker Room, we had a Phillies thread last year, as well as Yankees thread for fans of that team. Any team can have a thread, there aren't any exclusions! It was decided last year that as the board has many vocal Phillies and Yankees fans, it sort of took over the general MLB thread. So, we thought it would be better if we had fan threads for specific teams so people did not have to read through pages on teams they could care less about (except Locker Room moderators, we have to read all Locker Room threads).

So, with that disclaimer, I am starting the Phillies thread. Scuffling a little bit (except when Halladay pitches), we did get some great news today:

Howard signs five-year extension
    Slugging Phillies first baseman guaranteed $125 million
    By Todd Zolecki / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Phillies took an enormous step Monday to keep the main power source in their lineup through 2016.
    They announced they had signed Ryan Howard to the largest contract in franchise history. It is a five-year, $125 million contract extension, which keeps him in Phillies pinstripes through 2016. The contract also includes a sixth-year club option for 2017 that could raise the value of the deal to $138 million.

Howard, 30, currently is in the middle of a three-year, $54 million contract extension, which he signed in Feb. 2009. He will make $19 million this season and $20 million in 2011. The latest extension begins in 2012. He will make $20 million in 2012 and '13 and $25 million from 2014-16. The option in 2017 is worth $23 million with a $10 million buyout.

The deal includes awards bonuses and a limited no-trade provision.

Howard, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and manager Charlie Manuel will hold a news conference at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday at AT&T Park, where the Phillies open a three-game series against the San Francisco Giants.

Howard won the National League Rookie of the Year in 2005 and NL Most Valuable Player Award in '06. He made the NL All-Star team in 2006 and 2009, won a Silver Slugger in 2006 and earned NL Championship Series MVP honors last season.

PHILLIES ALL-TIME HR LEADERS
    RANK PLAYER No.
    1. Mike Schmidt 548
    2. Del Ennis 259
    3. Pat Burrell 251
    4. Chuck Klein 243
    5. Ryan Howard 225
    6. Greg Luzinski 223
    7. Cy Williams 217
    8. Dick Allen 204
    9. Bobby Abreu 195
    10. Johnny Callison 185

Since Howard replaced Jim Thome at first base July 1, 2005, he leads the Majors in home runs (222) and RBIs (650). Howard is just the fourth player in baseball history to have four consecutive seasons with at least 40 home runs and 130 RBIs. Babe Ruth, Ken Griffey Jr. and Sammy Sosa are the others.

Howard also was the player fastest to hit 200 home runs, which he accomplished in 658 games. Ralph Kiner held the previous mark, hitting 200 homers in his first 706 games.

Thome and Chase Utley both signed $85 million contracts with the Phillies, which had been the biggest contracts in team history until Howard's deal.

Originally selected by the Phillies in the fifth round of the 2001 Draft, Howard enters play tonight with a career .279 batting average, 225 home runs and 656 RBI in 750 games, all with Philadelphia. He currently ranks fifth on the Phillies' all-time home run list, behind Mike Schmidt (548), Del Ennis (259), Pat Burrell (251), and Chuck Klein (243). His .583 slugging percentage is the best in club history.
    Thoughts?
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

i bet the phillies are overpaying him by the end of the contract $25 mil for a 35-36 year slugger (not taking steroids) could come back and bite them
    Contemp '78
    Offsite '84 & '88
    GF 11/02
    Beach Club 11/04
    GF 7/05
    GC DL 7/1-7/4/07
    BWV 11/3-11/07
    SSR 5/15-20/09
    BLT 11/6-14/10
    BLT 5/9-13/11
    BLT 6/23-7/1/12
    BLT 8/17-25/13
    BLT 8/23-31/14
    BLT 6/20-28/15
    GC DL 6/21-25/16
    BLT 8/26-9/3/17
    BLT 8/25-9/2/18
    BLT 8/24-9/1/19
    GF 8/28-9/5/21

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by andypooh View Post
    i bet the phillies are overpaying him by the end of the contract $25 mil for a 35-36 year slugger (not taking steroids) could come back and bite them
    Nah. With the way MLB salaries are escalating I can almost guarantee people will look at Howard as a bargain by the time 2016 gets here.

Actually, this is a genius move by the Phillies and I'll tell you why. Pujols' contract is up next year and the Phillies know he's going to get the richest contract ever for an MLB player. Given that that would have benchmarked Howard's deal against the new standard, they would have been on the hook to pay him a whole lot more than what they just gave him.

I'm actually not the biggest Ryan Howard fan (I'd prefer they trade him for another stud pitcher and re-sign Werth ... too many strikeouts and too many lefties in our lineup), but any way you slice it this is good news for the Phils.

Too bad their pitching is a mess right now.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Nah. With the way MLB salaries are escalating I can almost guarantee people will look at Howard as a bargain by the time 2016 gets here.

Actually, this is a genius move by the Phillies and I'll tell you why. Pujols' contract is up next year and the Phillies know he's going to get the richest contract ever for an MLB player. Given that that would have benchmarked Howard's deal against the new standard, they would have been on the hook to pay him a whole lot more than what they just gave him.
    Agreed; it was a good business move by the Phillies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm actually not the biggest Ryan Howard fan (I'd prefer they trade him for another stud pitcher and re-sign Werth ... too many strikeouts and too many lefties in our lineup), but any way you slice it this is good news for the Phils.

Too bad their pitching is a mess right now.
    Here is where I disagree with you. Werth wants big money. He is definitely going to want a contract like Bay got from the Mets ($17-18 million a year) and they weren't going to do that with Ibanez's contract still around for another year. Honestly, the Phillies are looking for someone to basically fill in next year in right field until Dominic Brown is ready. I saw him play this spring training and he is an offensive machine. He needs to work on other aspects of his game, which is why he is in Double AA this year. He could be ready next year, but that is a long shot.

I am not going to push the pitching panic button just yet. Blanton should be back in a week, which will help matters. Ultimately, the biggest question is Hamels.
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Any team can have a thread, there aren't any exclusions!
    I would start a Mets thread, but I can talk to myself anytime.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I would start a Mets thread, but I can talk to myself anytime.

Scar, you would not be alone. Carol (the moderator formally known as PolyGirl40) is a big Mets fan as well. I am a believer in standing by your team, no matter what. When I make fun of the Mets and Braves, it is all in good fun!
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

I for one am ecstatic over the Howard deal. Howard is as hardworking as they come. He is more than just a slugger. His defense has picked up tremendously the past few seasons, no more of the "Ole" moves. Each season he comes back more slender and more agile. The other night he almost went into a split to keep his foot of the bag. We actually rewound the play a few times. He's had a few great plays this season already, in addition to his moon shots. I firmly believe he is a Hall Of Famer in the making (and maybe a few others on this team as well).
    Barring serious injury (knock on wood) I think this was a GREAT move. But only time can tell.

I would love to be able to keep Werth as well but I'm just not sure it's gonna happen. Some team will offer him big bucks that the Phillies will most likely not be able to match, and if that team is remotely competitive, I don't see him taking a "hometown discount." I am expecting him to go, but will be thrilled if he stays.

I could go on and on about the Phils but I really should be getting to bed. Thanks for starting the thread Christine, and GO FIGHTINS'
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Heard a stat on Mike & Mike this morning that was pretty amazing. Ryan Howard currently holds the second longest streak in MLB history for consecutive seasons with at least 45 home runs and 135 RBI's.

Howard's done it for four years in a row (and barring injury will almost definitely see a 5th with this season).

The guy who holds the record at six seasons? You may have heard of him ... one Mr. George Herman "Babe" Ruth, Jr.

That's heady company, my friends.
    Ian șOș

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Okay, Scar, enjoy it for now .

The Phillies bats seem to do this about the same time every year. Pelfry did not pitch better than Hamels last night; the team did not take advantage of the opportunities they had against Pelfry. He gave 5 free passes last night and the Phillies did not convert. You can't keep leaving so many runners in scoring position with less that 2 outs.

Phillies are still in first, but they need to right the ship (and get Jimmy back).
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Further proof that pitching is not an issue for the Phillies:

MIAMI -- Roy Halladay's illustrious career has captured its grandest feat: A perfect game.

The Phillies' ace retired each of the 27 Marlins he faced in order on Saturday night to notch the 20th perfect game in Major League history and the second this season in the Phillies' 1-0 victory.

"Early in my [pregame] bullpen, I felt like I was hitting spots more than I have been, and I just carried that over," Halladay said.

Halladay has compiled 155 wins and an American League Cy Young Award through a phenomenal 13-year career, but he's never been better than he was on this night.

The 33-year-old Halladay joins Jim Bunning as the only Phillies pitchers to throw a perfect game.

Halladay, making his 11th start in a Phillies uniform, struck out 11 batters and didn't issue a walk despite getting into seven three-ball counts.

"There's days where things just kind of click and things happen, and it's something you obviously never go out and try and do," Halladay said. "But it's a great feeling."

The Phillies also made a couple of nice plays behind him. In the sixth, Wilson Valdez fielded a chopper off the bat of the speedy Cameron Maybin and completed a bang-bang play at first base. And in the eighth, Juan Castro made a nice pick on a short-hop from Jorge Cantu.

"About the fifth or sixth, I was just following [catcher Carlos Ruiz]," Halladay said. "I can't say enough about the job he did today mixing pitches."

Halladay, who had never thrown a no-hitter, went into the bottom of the ninth with 103 pitches under his belt and a standing ovation from the 25,086 in attendance at Sun Life Stadium -- many of which were Phillies fans.

"I think you're always aware, from the first inning on, but I don't think you're ever really thinking about throwing a no-hitter until probably the eighth or ninth," Halladay said. "I think once you get there, you realize you're close, but you're still a long ways from it. I think once I got two outs in that ninth inning, I felt like I had a chance to make some pitches and get it."

Halladay then proceeded to get pinch-hitter Mike Lamb to fly out to deep center field and pinch-hitter Wes Helms to strike out looking. Ronny Paulino grounded out to third for the final out.

"It's absolutely amazing," manager Charlie Manuel said. "That's good. That's amazing. It's one of the biggest feats a pitcher can do."

On the other side, Marlins ace Josh Johnson was also dominant, giving up just one unearned run through seven innings. The Phillies took a 1-0 lead in the third on a dropped line drive by Marlins center fielder Cameron Maybin, which allowed Valdez to score from first base.

As it turns out, that was all they needed.
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

WOW is all I can say about Roy. We were at a bar to watch the Flyers. Before the game started we were casually watching the Phils in between conversation. My friend points out in the 4th "I don't think anyone is noticing, but Halladay has a no-hitter through 4!" I replied "Wait, no one's even been on base... Oh my gosh, he's pitching a perfect game!" Thankfully the bar had side by side screens and the atmosphere was just nuts between the two games. The perfect game finished just as the Flyers were coming back from intermission but everyone was glued to the Phils (And by that time, the buzz had spread so everyone knew what was at stake). It was just so exciting!!!
    Congratulations, Mr. Halladay.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

So I was flipping over to the Phils half-heartedly while waiting for the Flyers to get in gear and around the top of the 7th I started to realize what was happening.

Not surprisingly, the announcers weren't really talking about it in specifics (a lot of vague references to "Halladay flirting with history" and things like that).

But let me tell you ... once I realized what was going on I completely ignored the Flyers and watched every single pitch from then until the last out. What a special moment ... when you consider that there have been somewhere along the lines of half a million professional games played over the years and only 20 of them have resulted in a perfect game ... that's something to see!

Way to go, Doc!!
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: