Quantcast Passports?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Passports?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Passports?

My Family is taking our first cruise this summer and its a 5 day Bahamian cruise! we are psyched!
    I only have one question are people doing the Bahama cruise with out passports? I believe we can but I want to make sure! Thanx for your help!
    DVC Members since 2006!
    Home Resorts SSR and AKV!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We did the Bahamian cruise twice and had passports. I might be wrong, but I thought they were required. I am sure someone will be along soon that knows for sure.

Have fun on your cruise
    Jodi ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Even if they weren't, Passports would be needed in case you had to be flown back to the US for an emergency. Just something to consider.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Passport travel rules are constantly changing, so it's definitely something to keep an eye on if you aren't planning on getting one. Currently they are not required for sea travel to and from the Bahama's. If you had an emergency though and needed to fly back into the United States, you wouldn't be allowed back in without a passport. They're expensive, especially if you are travelling with a family, but it's risky to be anywhere outside the US without one.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I personally would not travel anywhere outside the US without a passport. It makes it easier if you have any problems to get the proper help. I know they are expensive but adult passprts last 10 years - its the youth passports that get you they are only good for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

One tiny little thing...Yes you can cruise with a "certified" copy of your birth certificate for "closed loop cruises" (cruises that start and end at the same port). If an accident should occur overseas it's going to be some work at the Embassy to fly you home.

Essentially the passport is INSURANCE that you can fly should you or someone in your party get injured or you miss the boat at port...can it happen? Sure it can...do a lot of people go ahead and risk it because it's such a "short" time span...sure...are 99% of them perfectly fine...Yep.

There have been several people that have been "mistakenly" detained at port by officals that were not clear on the passport rules for cruising. Eventually a supervisor appeared and all was well. But it still happens.

Are they really "necessary" for a cruise...not yet. If you like where you went and want to fly to an all inclusive or something later...it's one less thing to bother with. It's a great form of identification for you AND your kids...so that's something to consider...You can't be a contestant on Survivor without it.

I guess it all depends on what you see in your future. Are you going to cruise again? (Passport rules are VERY likely to change again). You think you might like to fly to another country? Do you have anyone in your party that's "sickly".
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked into the Passport Card http://www.travel.state.gov/passport...card_3926.html
    ? While you can't use it for international air travel, the Passport Card can be used to enter the US from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean & Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. They aren't as expensive as Passport Books: $45 for first time applicants 16 yrs of age & older (valid for 10 yrs), and $35 for minor applicants 15 yrs of age & younger (valid for 5 yrs). Not exactly cheap, but definitely not as expensive a Passport Book.
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think if you leave on the ship as a US citizen and come back on the ship that you need one. I know you did not need to take it into the Bahamas and were actually told to leave it in your stateroom safe.

HOWEVER, I got one when I knew I was taking the cruise. It is just a good thing to have really. Getting back into the US coming off the boat was no problem. There was a guy that motioned us back through customs and just took our declaration form. I guess a lot of the customs groundwork is before the ship even comes back. They know who is on it and decide well before you get off whether they are going to give you a second look or not. If there is a problem, however, an official passport would probably make it easier to solve it.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to all your feedback! We got our photos and are going to the post office this weekend to hand in our applications! Your all right better to be safe than sorry! thanx again!
    DVC Members since 2006!
    Home Resorts SSR and AKV!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I mean, who would have thought a volcano could have disrupted air travel for a whole week? Strange things happen and it's always best to be as prepared as possible.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

On our cruise they actually went back to port in the Bahamas to take a passenger off for medical attention. And I can say, that they do not wait for you to come back! They literally dropped and left. I felt so bad for that family and just hoped they had their passports and good medical insurance! I am glad to see you went the cautionary route and got the passports! Have a great time!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: