Quantcast Spirit Airlines to charge for carry-on bags

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spirit Airlines to charge for carry-on bags

A news tidbit just hit a few websites about Spirit Airlines starting to charge up to $45 for carry on bags in overheads.

Major airlines will be watching this move in anticipation of doing the same.
    Last edited by Strmchsr; 04-06-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: to correct information

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW...$45 for a carry-on. That's steep.

Flying just isn't what it used to be...

Thanks for the info!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

At some point, it might just get cheaper to buy new clothes at your destination!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that this is to combat the surge in people taking enormous carryons on the plane in order to avoid paying the checked luggage fee.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

If it is just for use of the overheads, then it shouldn't affect normal travelling folks. I personally applaud this move, as the bin jamming aisle blocking I'm not paying to check a bag on this flight people really annoy me.

Even when our children were babies, we never travelled with more than one carry-on apiece (as in just 2, one for DH and one for me), and those can be stowed under the seat in front. I am personally relieved to be rid of the bags once we've checked in for our flight.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

The Jet Blue marketing team has already jumped on this:

"In case you were wondering, JetBlue will continue to offer a free first checked bag, not to mention that you can bring your Mickey Mouse ears, your magazine collection, your favorite wrinkle-free slacks, and your lunch onboard, and enjoy free use of the overhead bins and more legroom than any other airline in its class."

JetBlue also suggests – tongue in cheek – that when customers can't use JetBlue, they should consider "our expertly-crafted Extrago Sherpa Shirt special outerwear" for flying an airline like Spirit. JetBlue says the shirt – which it points out is a joke and is not actually for sale – is designed to hold "an entire trip's worth of necessities, including the money you'll save by not checking or carrying on your bag."
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Sherpa Shirt! Now that's funny!

Post Thanks / Like

As awful as I think this is, it probably won't stop me from flying with them. I just checked and i can fly in August r/t Detroit to Orlando for less than a $100.00. I will just make the kids put their bags under the seat in front of them.
    1999 AS Sports
    2000 AS Movies
    2001 Offsite
    2003 Offsite
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 POR
    Feb 08 Offsite Vacation Home
    Sep 08 POP
    Aug 09 AS Sports
    Feb 10 Nick Hotel
    Aug 10 POP

Post Thanks / Like

I bring carry on bags for 2 reasons. One is that one trip my checked in luggage got lost, and we had nothing for our trip, and the other time the luggage got sprayed with water when they were trying to open the door in the frozed winter, and all the clothes were totally wet and ruined. This along with the long lines to check in bags, and the hastle of it all makes me bring carry on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    If it is just for use of the overheads, then it shouldn't affect normal travelling folks. I personally applaud this move, as the bin jamming aisle blocking I'm not paying to check a bag on this flight people really annoy me.
    Agreed. I'd much rather not have to deal with carry-ons other than a back pack, or a laptop case or something of that nature. I've also read articles talking about how disgruntled many airline's in-flight staff have become at having to be baggage-handlers as well as flight-attendants. I really hope this catches on with Spirit and becomes an industry trend.
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why the airlines don't enforce the carry-on rules they already have in place. If they enforced the size of the carry-ons, more bags would get checked and there would be plenty of overhead space. I agree it's gotten a bit ridiculous to see some of the bags coming onto the planes with people - partly because folks don't want to pay to check their bags (which I completely understand - bag fees annoy the heck out of me). But if you have more luggage than you should carry onto the plane, the bag should be checked.

All this being said, I sure hope Spirit gets burned by customers for trying something like this. It's a ridiculous way to hide the actual cost of the flight by nickel and diming customers for bags. What's next? We all climb on a scale with our luggage and pay by the pound? We're getting close to it....

Post Thanks / Like

Charging for carry-ons is ridiculous! I agree that if they just enforced the carry-on rules already in place, they wouldn't have the problems that they do with jam-packed overhead bins. Honestly, I would rather see the airlines roll the price for the first checked bag into the ticket and just charge more in the first place. This garbage is the reason we don't ever fly anymore - it just plain costs too much by the time you add in the fees and baggage prices.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    What's next? We all climb on a scale with our luggage and pay by the pound? We're getting close to it....
    Oddly enough, 3 years back when my wife and I took a vacation with our 2 boys to a small out-island in the bahamas we all had to get weighed with our carry-on luggage. The purpose of that was to balance the plane though. We took a small twin-prop plane that carried 17 passengers. They did seating assignments based on weight distribution. That was a scary flight....
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: