Quantcast Online check-in skeptic

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Online check-in skeptic

DH and I took an anniv. trip to WDW last April - just the two of us - so I did online check in for the first time. I was so excited to think our wait time at check-in would be shorter than usual. I have to say, it was the worst check in experience I have ever had! We stayed at CBR and when we walked into the Custom House, there was a line to the regular check-in and no line at all at online check-in. Of course, I thought we would breeze right through and leave all those other vacationers in the dust. Not so! The other line of at least 6 families was gone and checked in and DH and I were still waiting. The CM who was supposed to be working with us was helping another guest look for something he had lost while 2 or 3 other CMs just stood behind the counter and looked on! I thought one of them could at least help the other guest while the online check-in CM did her job. (I know, selfish, right?) DH and I just waited impatiently for a long time. Long enough for 6 other families to check in in the conventional way and be on their way to their vacation.

Now, I say all that to say, I am very skeptical about doing online check-in for our upcoming trip. Did I just hit it at a bad time? I don't know what to do. Our first day we will have my mom with us just for that day and I would like her to get as much time in MK as possible since she has never been there. I don't want to be waiting around at online check-in if we could get it all done quicker the conventional way.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with online check-in?
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Checking in at Disney hotels often reminds me of waiting at the DMV. Guests are stacked up 10 deep. There are two CM's actually working check in and about 15 others sitting around, staring at computer screens, furtively poking their heads out from backstage to see if anyone's looking for them, and at least two "managers" standing around with radios clipped to their belts trying to look important.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Today 07:59 AM by Ian
    Checking in at Disney hotels often reminds me of waiting at the DMV. Guests are stacked up 10 deep. There are two CM's actually working check in and about 15 others sitting around, staring at computer screens, furtively poking their heads out from backstage to see if anyone's looking for them, and at least two "managers" standing around with radios clipped to their belts trying to look important.
    Wow, that is exactly what happened to us. You hit that right on!
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like

We did online check-in twice and found it unnecessary both times. First, when you arrive at Pop at 1:30 am there tends to not be a line so online check-in did nothing for us there. And in July when we arrived at WL, there was nobody else in line there either so online check-in was pretty much useless there too. I'm not sure if I'll use it again or not. Probably I will just because it made me feel like my vacation was sooooo much closer to starting to be able to say that I checked into my resort already.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I just decided to check-in the regular way, it's going to be a wait, I know that so I try not to let it bother me...HEY....I'm at WDW....the "Happiest Place on Earth"
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We had a great experience with online checkin. We got to SSR about 6:15pm or so. There was a line for the online checkin... about 3-4 cast members for the regular checkin line. No one in the online checkin and as soon as the cast member saw me looking around for the online checkin line, she waive me right over and welcomed me home.

I was in and out so fast that my DD's didn't get enough time to watch the cartoons in their mini chairs and my sisters were still in the bathroom.

I will be using it again this October. Also, and maybe this is my own folklore, but, my treehouse request was honored even with a later checkin time and I believe that my early checkin had to do with it.... but, that's my own wives tale around getting a room request.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

We did online checkin last Sept. and had no problems whatsoever (POFQ). Our packet was ready and waiting for us. A couple of years ago we stayed at CBR for the first time (not online checkin) and it was the worst check in we've ever had at WDW. Check in lines were unbelievable and we didn't get our room until 5:00. Needless to say we haven't stayed there again.

This September we're staying at WL and I will do onine check in again.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

We've used on line check in twice. Both times we stayed at POP & had no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used online check-in twice in 2009: POFQ in September & OKW in November. No issues at all, no wait whatsoever. Both times I got to the hotel between 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM.
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We used online checkin at POFQ in Dec. and had no wait whatsoever. We arrived about 11:30 AM by car, my sister arrived later that afternoon about 4 PM on ME and my daughters family arrived a few days later on a Saturday about 10 AM on ME. The signs to the online checkin area were plainly marked, when the ME busses arrived the extra CMs from the regular checkin moved over to the bigger group of online checkins and everyone was out in under 10 minutes. Our room assignments were exactly what we requested, all in the same building on the floor and buiding of our choice, which was a first for us. We also were all given riverview rooms which we hadn't requested.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Our advice- have more than one CM checking on on-line guests. We arrived at POP around 10:30 and were the first in line to check in as another couple was being checked in by the sole CM assigned to this post. Well, this couple must have been first timers, because after they had their packet in their hands, they kept asking other questions that weren't even a part of the checking in process. We waited almost 10 minutes while they asked question after question. The only way to remedy this is having more than one CM checking in or have a Q&A area where guests can go to ask their questions.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

We have used on-line check-in three times now and it was a breeze each time. Our packet was always waiting and we had our room available. The last time was CSR and we checked in before 10 am--our room was ready!

Post Thanks / Like

Homeschool mom, it sounds like that was a just a fluke. We did online check-in and were actually helped by a non-online check in CM. It definitely didn't make anything take longer, but I can't say it really saved us much time either. It saved a little time because they already had our packet ready. I would just suggest being ready to jump in a regular line if the online one is held up for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done online check-in 4 times now. The first time was a breeze. The second time made me regret trying that option. The third time was a breeze so I went for it again last weekend. I was at Pop last weekend and online was quick and painless.

I think it's primarily a matter of working out the kinks for each resort. I had my doubts at one time because of that second check-in but I am now a fan.

PS-I'm a homeschool mom as well.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

We used on-line check in December at POFQ. Smooth as silk. No line, our packet was ready and everything was good to go. We arrived at 1 pm in the middle of the week.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

We found online check-in at CBR to be very quick and easy. Sorry that yours didn't go smoothly though.

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I had an okay experience with online check-in when I did it last November at POFQ. No problems at check-in, as there was no one waiting in either line (online, non online). Basically just felt it was unnecessary. Now if it was a peak check-in time, it probably would have been worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't have any problems last July doing the online check-in at POFQ but it seems a bit unnecessary to me. I probably won't do it this year with Wilderness Lodge
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used online check in the last few trips and I breezed through in just a few minutes each time. Twice at the AKL and once at the WL.
    Doug
    38 Trips to Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like POFQ has this down pretty well so I think I'll go for it.
    10/89 honeymoon off-site
    11/93 off-site last trip pre-child
    12/01 ASMovies first trip for kids
    10/04 POFQ
    02/09 Pop and first cruise on Wonder
    03/10 POFQ trip to see CFHS Tiger Band!
    03/14 VWL to see DD2 and the CFHS Tiger Band!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: