Quantcast Where would YOU want to live?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where would YOU want to live?

Okay, cost of living and job availability NOT being an issue, which of these two places would you PREFER to live in and why?

Washington D.C. area (northern VA, Maryland)

Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area

Opinions, thoughts, etc. welcomed!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What the heck is in Miami for you guys?

So for me personally, hands down DC area.

Just from the times I've been to Miami (which admittedly has only been a few times, but as recently as last fall) and word of mouth since living in Florida, both my DH and I are in agreement we'd never live there. It just feels different than the rest of Florida to me. In fact, last month at the WDW Press Event I attended, I actually met a couple and another man both from Miami who didn't enjoy living there. The couple is counting the days until their daughter graduates high school and they can move back to LA where they are originally from.

Regarding DC, except for the traffic (which is definitely a huge issue) we loved it. We lived in So. Maryland for 3 years on a small Navy base. IF we ever move from here, it will be to the Quantico area, and I wouldn't mind a bit. We're big history folks, so the opportunities are endless, and you are close to NYC and other big northeast cities. Miami is close to....not much.

Oh, and No VA schools are supposedly really good. I have a lot of friends there now that are very pleased.

Post Thanks / Like

Mel: we are up for PCS next summer. Right now, DH has two opportunities available to him. The one in FL is as Commanding Officer for Marine Corps Recruiting SE Florida, which is based in Ft. Lauderdale. He'd be in charge of all of Southeast FL as well as Puerto Rico recruiting depots. Since he's Puerto Rican and speaks fluent Spanish, they are looking his way for this one. Career wise, it would be a great opportunity. We've looked into the area and there are three cities with exceptional schools, all located less than ten miles from where he would work. We were convinced this would be a good fit for us. Weather is similar to here, and seems like the opportunities for fun diversions in the state are great for our young kids. Since they have lived with DLR in their backyard all their lives, it would be a plus to be within driving distance to all of FL's attractions.

But, DH just got a job offer (basically an open offer) from his former CO to work with him at the Pentagon, for USMC Planning, Policy, and Operations. And THAT would be an amazing opportunity as well, to work at that level.

The only other assignment we'd possibly get would be at Quantico, for DH to attend EWS.

What worries me about DC is the weather and traffic issues. Honestly we both hate the cold and snow. Plus, I'm so not into history. . Our kids are both on the autism spectrum and it will be a cold day in you know where before we are able to take them into a museum or to visit historical landmarks where they are expected to look and not touch! They are so young that in our time there, I don't forsee us really having a chance to enjoy all that the area has to offer.

Just edited to add: I've been to Miami a few times, and DH once. He LOVED it there! Something about the "Latin vibe" perhaps? I don't know. He just loves warm and tropical, and is MISERABLE if he's not living close to an ocean in some form. Although we hardly ever go to the beach, he has this psychological need to be able to see the open ocean every once in awhile.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Miami area for sure. No more harsh winters. Beautiful beaches. Five hour drive to Disney :-). Sunshine Sunshine Sunshine Sunshine Sunshine
    1972 - 1995 - Stayed with family or camped
    1996 - 2003 - All Stars
    2004 - Disneyland
    2006 - All Stars
    04/14/07 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    04/19/08 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    05/02/09 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    08/28/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree...Miami/Ft. Lauderdale for sure. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton for 6 years and LOVED IT. Moved back to the DC area to be near my parents in their later years and now can't wait until my retirement time to move back to the warmth and sunshine!!!!!

The winters in DC are really cold and the traffic is really awful and commuting to the Pentagon is a nightmare!!! IMHO.

I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been to Miami but after spending a few months living in the Woodly Park area of DC I can tell you its nice but I would love to escape to a warmer climate. I actually don't drive but DC's Transportation in the city is wonderful. But how can you give up an oppertunity to be that warm and close to the mouse!!
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the schools first for special needs to make sure your boys are getting the best they can get.
    Given the choice I would choose the FT Lauderdale area because you don't like cold or snow and this past year DC has been slammed and they don't know how to deal with the snow like we do in the Boston area.
    Also, because your kids would not benefit from the museums and history they would enjoy the beaches better and you want to keep them happy!
    Which job would advance your hubby the most?
    Where would he be happiest?
    good luck on your move and let us know where you finally end up.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Washington!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Mel: we are up for PCS next summer. Right now, DH has two opportunities available to him. The one in FL is as Commanding Officer for Marine Corps Recruiting SE Florida, which is based in Ft. Lauderdale. He'd be in charge of all of Southeast FL as well as Puerto Rico recruiting depots. Since he's Puerto Rican and speaks fluent Spanish, they are looking his way for this one. Career wise, it would be a great opportunity. We've looked into the area and there are three cities with exceptional schools, all located less than ten miles from where he would work. We were convinced this would be a good fit for us. Weather is similar to here, and seems like the opportunities for fun diversions in the state are great for our young kids. Since they have lived with DLR in their backyard all their lives, it would be a plus to be within driving distance to all of FL's attractions.

But, DH just got a job offer (basically an open offer) from his former CO to work with him at the Pentagon, for USMC Planning, Policy, and Operations. And THAT would be an amazing opportunity as well, to work at that level.

The only other assignment we'd possibly get would be at Quantico, for DH to attend EWS.

What worries me about DC is the weather and traffic issues. Honestly we both hate the cold and snow. Plus, I'm so not into history. . Our kids are both on the autism spectrum and it will be a cold day in you know where before we are able to take them into a museum or to visit historical landmarks where they are expected to look and not touch! They are so young that in our time there, I don't forsee us really having a chance to enjoy all that the area has to offer.

Just edited to add: I've been to Miami a few times, and DH once. He LOVED it there! Something about the "Latin vibe" perhaps? I don't know. He just loves warm and tropical, and is MISERABLE if he's not living close to an ocean in some form. Although we hardly ever go to the beach, he has this psychological need to be able to see the open ocean every once in awhile.
    I see nothing in here at all why you would choose DC then.

Post Thanks / Like

DH would choose DC for the comfort level associated with working for and with two people he's worked with before, and where there is mutual respect. Job and schools being comparable, it's really a lifestyle quandry.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am dying to leave here so I can not reccommend Mia/ftl. However I don't know that I would leave for DC. I have only been to DC once, but the weather is a huge turnoff.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    Well I am dying to leave here so I can not reccommend Mia/ftl. However I don't know that I would leave for DC. I have only been to DC once, but the weather is a huge turnoff.
    Care to elaborate? What are some things you don't like. This is what I'm after; real personal experiences. Although it's DH's job, we all know who REALLY makes the decisions. . There's a reason why we've managed to stay stationed in Southern CA for 10 years...But our time has come to go elsewhere.

DH will put his preferences in line with what I think would be best for, mostly, the kids. Of course, being the military, we could very well end up going to some random place at the last minute.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I would pick Miami just because I am tired of the cold weather and I can't remember a vivid picture of a snow storm in D.C. recently.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly the people, there are way too many people here. The mentality of some of the people here is very self centered and inconsiderate. The public school systems are horrible, I am looking into putting my kids into private school right now (maybe even homeschooling, if private doesn't work out). That is the bulk of it, as I can think of more I will post.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of schools, too. I would make sure I checked into the schools pretty thoroughly before making a decision. Other than that, it sounds like you're really happier with the FL options and leaning that way. Best wishes with the big decision.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    Mostly the people, there are way too many people here. The mentality of some of the people here is very self centered and inconsiderate. The public school systems are horrible, I am looking into putting my kids into private school right now (maybe even homeschooling, if private doesn't work out). That is the bulk of it, as I can think of more I will post.
    Thanks for your feedback!

I think there are going to be WAY too many people in D.C. area too. Right now, we live in Orange County, which is the MECCA of self centered and inconsiderate people. We've done alright, since we just brush those people off. Pretty used to that type of society by now.

The schools are a concern. I'll admit that. FL schools are notoriously bad, from what I've researched.

We would most likely live in either Weston or Davie (or possibly Plantation or Pembroke Pines). Heard those schools there are about the best you can get in Broward County. Our kids will only be in Elementary all the years we will be there.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I have only been to Miami area a few times. A big plus is closeness to the Keys, I think you would love that. Miami tends to have a mixture of people like where you live now. It's a plus that your husband speaks Spanish. I am a product of Florida schools and sometimes I think it's what you make of it half the time. I truly am glad I was exposed to diversity early on. You might want to check out Great Schools dot com to see specific details about what schools are like where you are looking. Is there any chance he could get to Patrick base? That's up the coast a little in Cocoa and is safer and cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

I have lived in the DC area now for over 15 years.

Although it is a big metro area - - it is not as "compact" as big cities, mostly I think because of the fact that buildings cannot be so tall, therefor DC area is more spread out than other of the eastern cities.

Working at the Pentagon is a very prestigous and interesting place to be.

But, reading your post, I really think that you might be more happier in the lifestyle of Miami area. There is a hustle, bustle here of commuting, traffic, etc. Plus, to get to the ocean, you have a couple of hours to drive. Although, you can get to the Chesapeake Bay easily.

Good Luck!!
    Candi, the Pooh fanatic!

4/2010 - Pop Century
    9/2005 - Pop Century
    1/2005 - Pop Century
    1/2004 - Offsite
    1/2001 - Offsite
    9/2000 - Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon
    5/1983 - Offsite
    Disneyland - 1980,1981,1982

Post Thanks / Like

I would choose DC in an instant, but I would live in the suburbs. The metro system is wonderful and you can get anywhere easily and economically. The schools are terrible in Florida, no matter where you live (we lived there for 3 years.) Children would get a much better education in the DC area...I would look at Bethesda or Gaithersburg. Also, you have so much culture available in DC. The Smithsonian, concerts, public performances, festivals, etc... I found South Florida to be culturally dry when it came to educational opportunities. Very few museums and so forth, compared to what I am used to in PA. The summers in DC are going to be as equally hot and humid as FL but you don't have the worries of a hurricane season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

The schools are a concern. I'll admit that. FL schools are notoriously bad, from what I've researched.
    I have to disagree with this generalization. There bad schools and school districts in Florida, the same way there are bad schools and school districts in any part of the country. But there are some very good ones too. My son went to a fantastic elementary school in east Central Florida and got into a wonderful "school of choice" junior/senior high school before we ended up moving to Texas. I would hold up his education as comparable to any other area, at least as far as I've seen (based on the children of friends and relatives that live up north).

You did mention in one of your posts that you found some towns with exceptional schools in South Florida. What about those as possibilities?

We enjoyed living in Florida, although I was ready for a change by the time we moved to Texas. I have to say that the area we lived in had some of the friendliest people anywhere. No one was self-centered or inconsiderate that I can remember.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: