Quantcast Disney Ends "Give A Day, Get A Disney Day"

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Disney Ends "Give A Day, Get A Disney Day"

From today's Orlando Sentinel~~

The Walt Disney Co. on Tuesday (3/9/10) ended a promotion offering free theme-park tickets to people who perform a day of community service, after Disney said it reached its goal of 1 million volunteers.

Disney said 1 million people had either volunteered or committed to volunteer just 10 weeks after it launched the “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” campaign. The company said it subsequently closed registration for the promotion.

Volunteers who signed up have until Dec. 15 to redeem their one-day, one-park tickets, though the passes have certain blackout dates.

“By any measure, the ‘Give a Day, Get a Disney Day’ program exceeded our expectations,” Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs said in a prepared statement. “These 1 million volunteers touched their communities with their hearts and hands.”

The 2010 “Give a Day” promotion followed a 2009 campaign in which Disney offered free tickets on visitors’ birthdays. Disney distributed an estimated 1.2 million passes through that promotion
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

From disneyworld.com:

The overwhelming support we received for the "Give a Day. Get a Disney Day." program has helped us reach our goal of inspiring one million people to volunteer a day of service to their communities. The program has now ended. Although you can no longer register and sign up for volunteer opportunities on this site to earn a free Disney Theme Park ticket, you can still continue to give back to your community by locating and signing up for volunteer opportunities through HandsOn Network.

Whether you're recognizing the spirit of volunteerism or a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary, only one question remains,
    What Will You Celebrate?

Post Thanks / Like

Press Release:

'Give a Day, Get a Disney Day’ Reaches Goal – 1 Million People Inspired to Volunteer in 2010 through the Disney Parks Program

March 9, 2010 – “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” – a first-of-its-kind program of Disney Parks – reached its goal of inspiring 1 million people in 2010 to give back to their communities through volunteer service in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Since the program started just 10 weeks ago, on Jan. 1, a million people already have volunteered or have committed to volunteer in their communities, according to Disney Parks and HandsOn Network, the nation’s largest volunteer network and a facilitator of “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day.”

To celebrate the good deeds of these individuals, Disney Parks offered each volunteer who completed an eligible project a free one-day admission to one theme park in Walt Disney World Resort in Florida or Disneyland Resort in California. Although registration is now closed and the program has ended, those who volunteered have until Dec. 15, 2010, to redeem their free park ticket (certain block-out dates apply).

“By any measure, the ‘Give a Day, Get a Disney Day’ program exceeded our expectations,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “These one million volunteers touched their communities with their hearts and hands. Their commitment to service is truly worth celebrating, and there’s no better place to celebrate than at Disney Parks.”

Volunteerism has been a part of the Disney culture since the beginning. Through Disney VoluntEARS, cast members have been giving back to communities for more than a quarter century. More than 5.5 million hours of volunteer service worldwide have been donated, and Disney’s commitment to volunteerism will continue even as “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” draws to a close.

Officials at HandsOn Network credited the “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” program for increasing volunteer activities this year.

“The innovative nature of this program has exponentially increased our capacity to both invite and excite people about volunteerism,” said Michelle Nunn, co-founder of HandsOn Network and CEO of Points of Lights Institute. “The overwhelming participation of families – and youth especially – is a testament to a growing trend. Many of these volunteers are serving for the first time, and some will develop into service leaders who help change the face of our nation.”

Encouraging that kind of commitment was one aim of the Disney program, Staggs said.

“The goal of the ‘Give a Day, Get a Disney Day’ program was to lay the groundwork for a new spirit of volunteerism,” he said. “The need for volunteers across the country is ongoing. We look forward to more people, especially families, carrying on the momentum and giving back to their communities through volunteerism.”
    Neighborhoods in need were the big beneficiaries of “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” – from San Juan to San Diego, Vero Beach to Vancouver.

In Puerto Rico, 500 volunteers cleaned the beaches of Vaciatalega and La Perla located in the vicinity of Old San Juan. In Oakville, Ontario, a neighborhood center got new shelving and a spruced-up mural.

In Boston, volunteers served meals to people in need, knitted and crocheted scarves and mittens for children afflicted with life-threatening illnesses and helped as caregivers at an animal adoption center. In California, San Francisco Bay-area volunteers helped with basic English lessons, painted park benches and planted flowers.

In Jacksonville, Fla., volunteers painted murals and spruced up rooms at a home for women and children, while in Pittsburgh they took on construction tasks – tiling, sanding, staining and painting – to help create affordable housing.

Although the program has ended and a free Disney theme park ticket will no longer be provided, those still interested in volunteering may search for opportunities through HandsOn Network at HandsOnNetwork.org (or in Canada, at govolunteer.ca).

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so here is a question...if you have signed up to "give a day" in April, so you have yet to do your day, but have already signed up to volunteer for the day....do you still get your ticket??
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HndrdPrcnt View Post
    Ok, so here is a question...if you have signed up to "give a day" in April, so you have yet to do your day, but have already signed up to volunteer for the day....do you still get your ticket??
    I am guessing if you signed up before they ended the promotion then you were probably counted in the 1 million, so you should still get a ticket.
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

şoş "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" şoş

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HndrdPrcnt View Post
    See this thread for more on this.

Apparently if you've done 'part 2' of the sign up through the Hands On Network, you should be included in the 1 million and will recieve your voucher when your volunteer project is complete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    See this thread for more on this.

Apparently if you've done 'part 2' of the sign up through the Hands On Network, you should be included in the 1 million and will recieve your voucher when your volunteer project is complete.
    I had registered 2 weeks ago to help with a local autism walk in April. Just yesterday afternoon, I did the "part 2", telling exactly when I would be working and I received the confirmation from Hands On Network that I was committed and everything was set. So, I think if you registered previously, you are good.
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

I checked out the other thread. Not sure what "part 2" is but if I have email confirmation from HandsOn Network and Disney, I should be okay? I haven't heard from the organization yet that I volunteered for...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I'm really glad we got our volunteer opportunity done last month! Thankfully we have our vouchers in hand, too. I'm really surprised Disney didn't extend this program since it only took 10 weeks to reach 1 million volunteers. I wonder if they will catch a lot of flack for that?
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laprana View Post
    Wow! I'm really glad we got our volunteer opportunity done last month! Thankfully we have our vouchers in hand, too. I'm really surprised Disney didn't extend this program since it only took 10 weeks to reach 1 million volunteers. I wonder if they will catch a lot of flack for that?
    May I ask how long it took you to receive your voucher? I have about 10 days between my volunteer work and my trip
    Jen

Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Not sure what "part 2" is but if I have email confirmation from HandsOn Network and Disney, I should be okay? I haven't heard from the organization yet that I volunteered for...
    Hmm. Not sure. My experience kinda worked out in 3 parts - signing up through the Disney website, hearing from the organization (via email) I signed up to volunteer for, then completing the process through the Hands on Network website.

Here is some info I got from the organization I am volunteering for:

PLEASE REMEMBER: There are two parts to registering... The first part you have already filled in under “search for volunteer opportunity” page ~ which is how I got your emails. The second part is now that I am verifying that the project is still open….you go back in to the “click here” portion to complete the sign in process. This is where you include the date and time for the completion of your project. From that point it goes to the “hands on network” page where you will fill in your names and you will get an email thanking you for signing up. PLEASE BE SURE BOTH parts are completed to be secure in the Disney site. I want to be absolutely sure everyone knows it’s IMPERATIVE to do this right away!!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that they ended it at 1million. I mean a million volunteers is huge but what if they could have let it go. Its only March!!!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenemmy View Post
    May I ask how long it took you to receive your voucher? I have about 10 days between my volunteer work and my trip
    We volunteered with Project Linus and made blankets at home that we then mailed to the local chapter. When I registered, I had to pick a specific date and I put in March 1, which gave us about 3 weeks to get the blankets done and shipped to the organization. We got the blankets to them about 1 1/2 weeks early, but we had to wait until March 1 came around for Project Linus to verify that we volunteered.

Once March 1 got here, we received an e-mail from Disney Destinations 2 days later, on March 3, that contained our vouchers! So, long story short, it should take just a few days to receive yours once your organization has verified your service with Disney. Hope this helps!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    Interesting that they ended it at 1million. I mean a million volunteers is huge but what if they could have let it go. Its only March!!!
    Two things about that. The Celebration promotion last year gave away 1.2million tickets so 1 million is about the number they target for this type of promotion. They were very straight up from the beginning about the number.

Second, the math tell you that this type of promotion isn't cheap. It costs potentially 10's of millions (the exact number would require a breakdown between single day tickets, upgrading MWY tickets and fastpasses, info we don't have). GIven promotion costs, staff to process the registrations and vouchers and other assorted costs its not hard to see why 1million is the number they would set. I also suspect they are surprised at how fast it topped out just like all of us are.

I also think they have managed to make many people aware of volunterring who weren't and that might continue on. Of course, we should volunteer to do the good work and not really expect a reward for doing it other than feeling good about helping someone.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

We couldn't find anything to volunteer for here until June and we were unable to register more than 60 days out.

So, we missed this one..
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    We couldn't find anything to volunteer for here until June and we were unable to register more than 60 days out.

So, we missed this one..
    Oh, no Patricia! I'm so sorry, I thought for sure they'd have something for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Two things about that. The Celebration promotion last year gave away 1.2million tickets so 1 million is about the number they target for this type of promotion. They were very straight up from the beginning about the number.

Second, the math tell you that this type of promotion isn't cheap. It costs potentially 10's of millions (the exact number would require a breakdown between single day tickets, upgrading MWY tickets and fastpasses, info we don't have). GIven promotion costs, staff to process the registrations and vouchers and other assorted costs its not hard to see why 1million is the number they would set. I also suspect they are surprised at how fast it topped out just like all of us are.

I also think they have managed to make many people aware of volunterring who weren't and that might continue on. Of course, we should volunteer to do the good work and not really expect a reward for doing it other than feeling good about helping someone.
    The difference here is those 1.2 million were real as a result of people being at the park and utilizing the pass. How many of these one million passes actually end up getting used.

What does Disney do now for the next 9 months for promotions?
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laprana View Post
    We volunteered with Project Linus and made blankets at home that we then mailed to the local chapter. When I registered, I had to pick a specific date and I put in March 1, which gave us about 3 weeks to get the blankets done and shipped to the organization. We got the blankets to them about 1 1/2 weeks early, but we had to wait until March 1 came around for Project Linus to verify that we volunteered.

Once March 1 got here, we received an e-mail from Disney Destinations 2 days later, on March 3, that contained our vouchers! So, long story short, it should take just a few days to receive yours once your organization has verified your service with Disney. Hope this helps!

Perfect! Thanks for answering
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to continue to volunteer..but how lame!!!
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: