Quantcast WDW-when were you hooked? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default March 1972

I was 12 years old and we stayed at the Contemporary Hotel. I remember looking up and seeing the monorail go thru the lobby. That was the coolest thing I ever saw in my life and I've been hooked ever since. I remember watching the Wonderful World of Disney and they showed pictures of WDW being built. Like the song says: a dream is a wish your heart makes. And my dream comes true every time I go. LIKE JUNE 2009! 93 DAYS UNTIL TAKEOFF.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, its as long as I can remember....

See my signature. I think just hearing all of the sounds and fun influenced me!
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

For me I guess it was October 1976 on my honeymoon. It was only the MK then but what a great time I had, hubby not so much. We landed there 10 yrs later and Epcot was open. DH started to agree that it is a 'nice' place to visit. His family took trips to the beach every year which he did not like either but he still would not agree to go to WDW every year as I would have liked. So here we are 30+ years later and my DH has told me to start taking solo trips as he prefers to stay home on his vacations (huh?). Well too bad for him as I will be going down in Jan 2011 and hope to do a Xmas trip in Dec 2011 solo. I look forward to many more memories of WDW.

Feb 26 - Mar 5, 2019 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 13-19, 2015 at CBR
    Jan, 2011 - off site
    Jun 16-21, 2009, ASSports
    Dec. 7-13, 2008, Royal Plaza at DTD
    April 16-20, 2007 ASMusic
    Feb-Mar 2005 Off Site
    Oct. 1986 Ft. Wilderness 10th Anniv
    Oct. 1976 Honeymoon Off Site

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I went to Disney World when I was in 4th grade, and I was talking and talking about Disney all the time, and one of the kids in my class called me a Disney Freak - the name just kinda stuck!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get totally hooked until I moved to Florida. I grew up in Mass. and had only been twice, once with my family in 1978 and then my first without parents trip in 1986. I moved south in 1996 but it wasn't until 2001 that I got hooked. Now I use my 3 weeks vacation at WDW, nobody even asks me where I'm going anymore.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

I had gone to WDW 2 times before my wife and I went in 1992. We only went to Epcot on that trip but it got us interested again. We went back in 1997 and I'm not sure yet what it was but I think it was walking into Magic Kingdom and looking down Main Street that cemented it. That and of course the magic of WDW. Since then we have been 16 times with our 21st trip coming up in Oct. . I guess you could say I am a certified WDW fanatic.
    PharmD
    Off Property 76,82,92,97,98,99
    ASMov 5/00,1/02,9/03,1/06,12/03,8/08
    ASSports 12/01
    ASMus 3/02,7/02
    PopCe 4/04,5/04,10/05
    PORS 10/06,10/10
    CSR 10/09
    POFQ 11/11
    CB 6/12
    CB 5/13
    Disney Fantasy 10/15

Next Renewal of Magic:
    PopCe 8/16

Post Thanks / Like

My first visit to the world was when I was 14. Although, my time there was limited (we were doing a kinda Florida tour), I knew then that I would come back. But the 1st time I knew that I was a WDW repeater was on our honeymoon. We stayed on property (@ the Golf Resort). All that was there was the GR, the Poly, the CR, and the Magic Kingdom! (now I'm givin away my age). But it was the most...magical, wonderful, albeit too short, 4 days I'd ever spent anywhere. Or so I thought! Now 31 yrs and 15 trips later, we still love it as much as we did then! And so does our DD, and my in-laws. We love the classics, and with all the refurbs and new attractions, dining, and resorts, it's always exciting coming back! So, for us, it truly is the most "magical place on Earth". So, we'll be seein you again,WDW, in October!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

We really did not know what to expect on our first trip. I got Birnbaum's from the library and tried to find out what I could from people who had gone there (no internet then), but we just were not prepared for what we found. We had only planned 4 days there and one day was for Universal Studios. There were only 3 theme parks at Disney at the time. We were so overwhelmed when we got there. We started early morning and stayed until closing. When it was time to go back, we kept saying that we did not get to do everything and we wished we could stay another day or two. But that was not an easy option since we flew. So we decided to come back the next year. By the time our second vacation of 6 days was coming to a close, we were already planning trip number 3. That's when we knew we were hooked.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hooked before I ever went. From the moment as a child when I heard Disney was building in Florida I was super excited. I finally got to go over New Years in 1976 when I was almost 13. It was so exciting! I dreamed of going back for many years, but things didn't work out until my DW and I went on our honeymoon in 1991. We have been back many times since with the DKs and have no intention of stopping any time soon!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I was hooked from the first sight of Main Street during my first visit and was born again when I took my kid for the first time in 2005! We watch the planning dvds like we are breaking down game tapes!
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone gets hooked as a kid but my hook line and sinker was seeing my 4 year old DD at the opening ceremony to the MK take her hands and grab my face and look at me in my eyes and scream "look it's mickey!!" That made me and my husband tear up and that special moment hooked us on Disney for life, or at least until the kids request not to go. That will be sad day though

July 2001--FW
    Christmas 2005--Offsite
    Oct 2007--GF
    May 2008--Pop
    Oct 2009--Poly
    Oct 2010--BW
    Nov 2010--CS
    Nov/Dec 2011--BW
    Feb 2012--GF
    April 2012--AS
    Sep 2012--WL
    April 2013--Fantasy (eastern carribean)
    Sep 2013-SS
    Sep 2014-Fantasy (western carribean)
    Jan 2015-CS
    May 2016-Fantasy

Post Thanks / Like

I was hooked on anything Disney since I saw the Bicentennial Parade in Disneyland. I was 9 years old. It also helped that we watched the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night. I grew up on Disney and luckily my husband did, too. We went for our honeymoon and have taken our own kids almost every year. We just can't get enough.
    Daisy712

Caribbean Beach Resort 1989, 2010
    All Star Movies 1999, 2000, 2002
    Dolphin 2001
    Fairfield Cypress Palms 2003
    Port Orleans French Quarter 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Wilderness Lodge 2005
    Pop 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010
    Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TikiLounger View Post
    I was hooked on the first day of our first trip with our children. My son was in second grade and my daughter was in kindergarten. We flew down a day later than the family members we were travelling with, so my brother in law picked us up at the airport drove us to the Shades of Green. The moment we started to see signs of "The World" on the highway and I looked over to see the looks of awe and anticipation on my kid's faces? That's when it all started for my family.

I feel you. I totally related to that commercial they used to run about the kids thinking their parents were superheros for bringing them to WDW! I felt 10 feet tall the first time I brought my son when he was 4 (and really every time since) And planning the trip together is nearly as much fun as being there...well, maybe not as much but it is great!
    Disneyland every summer of my childhood!
    Disneyland Paris May 2003
    All Star Movies - February 2004
    All Star Sports - August 2006
    Pop Century - January 2007
    THE MOUSE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was hooked from the moment I was able to see Mickey himself in the flesh! I just could not beleive as a child that the real live Mickey was in front of me!
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I think before I was born.....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say the third time we stayed at the CR probably did it as a kid for me, we went back to back years then. Then again I went with my friend family two summers later so it was perfect, those trips made me love WDW back then.
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I went when I was 12 with my grandpa and didn't really appreciate it. I am not sure why, but it just didn't feel magical to me at all. We decided to give into the hype, what we thought was over the top, in our first trip to fortwilderness. My cousin came with us for extra hands and her personal issues ruined our trip. We decided to return the following february to re-live it by ourselves, in hopes to fix what had been so rudely interupted during the previous trip and we were hooked. We stayed for 9 nights at Fort Wilderness on the dining plan and we fell in love with the food, FW, the resort, and the ability to just lose yourself in this wonderfully magical place. Now when my husband tells me that he thinks we should take a year off and catch up on finances, a small piece inside of me shudders and he knows it.....with a bit of a sigh and an endearing smile, he knows that he too cannot let go of the 1 week of perfection that disney offers our lives.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenoughdisney View Post
    I have to say the first time I went was when I got hooked. That's when I was 35 years old and I took my kids who were 3 and 5 at the time. I have to say though, that the first time I REALLY fell in love was when we went one September and there were no lines. We have been back every September since. I love it when you can actually enjoy the parks without bumping into people. We have gone 13 times now, and will definitely be back in September, although, this year I am adding a 50th birthday trip, given to me by my sisters, in April! 49 days to Disney World!!!!
    Haha! I totally agree. I got hooked when I went for a long weekend with my mom last September (took two days off school!). It really makes a difference when there's less people there. The minute we walked into the Magic Kingdom on the first day (and headed to the Pirates of the Caribbean, as tradition dictates), we knew that we were home! And have fun on your trip!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was hooked May of 1984. It was our first real family vacation (other than camping or other close to home things), we got to take an airplane and everything!

The thing I remember most vividly is taking the ferry from the parking lot to Mk. We were just about the only people on the boat, so we sat up front...as MK came into view, I just remember thinking that it was about the best sight I had ever known! We have pictures of that moment, and it still brings tears to my eyes! Every trip, I have to take the ferry at least once in honor of that moment.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

I had been several times as a teen and I didn't think too much of it. Not that I didn't like it, just that I didn't LOVE it. My father was diagnosed with cancer three years ago, so the decision was made that my father, myself, and my brother and sister would go on a vacation together. My father picked Disney. I went with an open mind and we had the best time I have ever had on vacation. Disney offered us a place to escape the reality of life, if only for a short time. We felt like kids again. My father passed away a short time later but he instilled his love for Disney in me. Disney remains my escape, my happy place.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: