Quantcast Just how important is your view??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Just how important is your view??

I don’t know why I keep second-guessing myself on this. I have a GV room booked at the Poly. It my first time staying there and I want it to be great. I have high expectations for this resort based on everything I have read. I am tossing around the idea of upgrading to a LV room. I would like a MK room but they are priced a little to high for me. Anyway, the cost difference for GV to LV is about 230.00 I just don’t know if it’s worth it. While I know that “worth it” is different for everyone, just how important is it for you? We will not have any small children with us that have to go to bed early, we are only there for 3 nights so we will watch Wishes from the beach or pool and one night in the park but we want to spend more time in the resort than in the parks while we are there. I keep trying to rationalize the amount. I could use this $$ for dinner, a spa treatment, renting water mice etc… How do you decide? What works for you? Also, if I leave my reservation alone and decide at check in that I want to upgrade if its available can you do this?

Thanks,
    Dana
    76 days! Till the Poly and bwv first time at both!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"
    Upcoming trips
    March 2013 for Garden Festival
    October 2013 Food and Wine!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For us it's not that important. We don't spend that much time in our room to make the extra $'s worth it.

The only time we splurged for a room was when we stayed at the GF for our anniversary. We stayed in the main building concierge floor and having had to wait 4 hours after 3:00pm to get our room they gave us one with a view of MK. It was nice but would we have paid extra for it. No.

There will be one time when we do spend the extra for the view and that is when we take my aunt down to Disney for the first time in almost 20 years. Our plan is to stay in a room with a MK view only because she loves WDW and hasn't been able to go for a long time.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Not that important for me, either. I usually draw the line at looking ata parking lot, but I would even do that if the cost difference was that high.

Post Thanks / Like

The only place that the view is important is at AKL - my DS loves animals and spends every waking moment (that we are in the room) watching the animals - but really how much time do you spend in the room during the day anyway
    GMGDISNEYMOM
    6/14 BCV
    7/13 DL-Paradise Pier
    4/12 AKL
    12/11 SSR
    11/10 VWL
    11/09 AKL
    4/09 FWC
    10/08 - VWL
    6/08 BV (1st DVC trip!)
    1/08 - AKL
    4/07 - FWC
    12/96 - OKW
    5/88- C
    11/84 - LBVV
    11/77 - C

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, if I'm already spending the money to stay at a deluxe resort than more than likely I will spend the extra $$ for an nice view. The way I look at it, if it's a trip where the only time we're going to be at the resort is at night for sleeping, then we might as well just stay in standard view room at a moderate or even a value resort like Pop Century. But if we're going to spend significant time at the resort, then we'll book a deluxe and upgrade the view too (BTW, I love the Polynesian lagoon view!)

To answer your second question--yes, you can leave your reservation the way it is now and ask for an upgrade to a better view when you get there. However, the upgrade cost might be based on rack rates, even if you originally booked using a discount code. It doesn't hurt to ask, though.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

If my room looked out to a brick wall, I would not care. I am only there to sleep primarily. As long as there is no major noise, I am fine with what ever. However, if I am staying at AKL, it is kind of pointless not having a Savanna view.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

There are times I've paid extra for the view and times I opted to skip it and save money. When I want to rationalize it, it always seems like so little extra to pay in comparison to what you're already paying and what you get for it. By that point, I'm like "eh, what's another $230-- it's my vacation!" And really, if I wanted a massage or a nice dinner, I'm going to rationalize paying for that, too, so it's not like saving the $230 is going to get me anything I wouldn't get anyway.

And when I want to save a little money (say, to make the trip seem more desirable to a possibly reluctant husband, not that it happens, ahem) I will skip the view and start trying to cut back where I can. I've been perfectly happy both with view and without. But I can tell you that you never regret spending extra for the view, and it really does add to the vacation. Something about watching that activity on the lagoon, wow, I love it. Even if it's just pre- or after-hours activity and not Wishes. You look out at the water, and just sigh that happy "this is the life" sigh.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling I will wrestle with the decision a little longer till it is no longer an option I always seem to do that, then when I finally make a decision I usually "miss the boat" I guess I need to make a pro and con list.

Thanks for your help.
    Dana
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"
    Upcoming trips
    March 2013 for Garden Festival
    October 2013 Food and Wine!

Post Thanks / Like

The only time we've paid extra for a view was when DS was still taking daily naps. But even though we've mostly been in standard room views, I've never once been disappointed! We always seem to get a view of a nice courtyard area (at POR and WL) or a lush, quiet walkway! I'd save the extra $$$ and treat yourself to something you wouldn't normally justify spending the money on at home!
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

The view is really not that important for us. Like many have said before, if you're not spending a whole lot of time at the resort, why pay extra? The only times we've had a great view was 1.) When we stayed in the Club Level of the Beach Club and they upgraded us to a water view and 2.) our last trip to WL and we were pleasantly surprised by how beautiful our garden view was. IMO, the view doesn't really matter. If you're staying at the beautiful Poly, just take in the grounds and views when walking around the resort.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

View is not important to me at all because i dont hang around the room or the balcony in the room enough to care. If I want to view fireworks from the resort, I will go to an area of the resort to watch it.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

you'll never know until you try it, i say! after years of staying at cr garden wing rooms we're shooting for a tower room mk view this year. it's a little more, and it may not be 'life changing', but at least i'll know...and my husband won't have to hear me say 'next time let's try a tower room' over and over again. i say give it a try!

Post Thanks / Like

I may be a bit contrarian given the other posts but after we first tried the view at the Poly we always pay extra for it. Now we do spend lots of time at the resort and it makes our vacation better.

We spend time in the morning having coffee and reading the free paper on the balcony and usually spend time in the afternoon watching all the activity on the lagoon. At night there is nothing like watching the ELP and the fireworks from the balcony every night and then the constantly changing colors on the castle all night long. And we are still able to get on all the rides every year. For us, it's absolutely worth it.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I admitt that I like having a view - but I love to be out on the balcony. We are Boardwalk dwellers and the first time we stayed we did a standard room - it was great and I was happy. The next time we couldnt' get standard so we did the Boardwalk View - and I was deleriously happy. I loved it - I loved sitting on the balcony early in the morning sipping my coffee and watching the hustle and bustle below me. I loved watching the fireworks from Illuminations, I loved listening to the big band music they pipe into the speakers. There wasn't a thing about it I didn't like. Some places are worth a better view then others - but when it comes to Deluxes like Boardwalk, Polynesian, GF, AKL and Contemporary I think you cannot go wrong upgrading the view. I would not pay extra for a view at any of the moderates or values, nor would I for Beach Club, Yacht Club, Saratoga springs or Wilderness Lodge. But that is just me.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

The view means very little to me. I paid for a "woods" view at WL last summer. We ended up with a view of the service area with the woods beyond that and the top of CR and BLT in the distance. But our room was located above Whispering Canyon overlooking the lobby when we opened our door - THAT'S what made the view for me because my husband was so beyond thrilled to get a room that opened to the main lobby. Regardless of the view, my balcony was still very peaceful to sit out and enjoy my morning cup of coffee.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I would say view is somewhat important. I don't like looking at the parking lot but I never pay top dollar for the best views either.
    Doug
    38 Trips to Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not important to me at all. We're park people and don't spend a lot of time in the room.

That said, a good view is a nice treat, but I am not one to pay more for it. The only one I would consider paying for is a savanna view at AKL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    However, if I am staying at AKL, it is kind of pointless not having a Savanna view.
    I think I agree with this! Location is very important to us , not necessarily view. I'd much rather be closer to transportation, food, mug refill station, pool, lobby, etc. If we do stay at AKL this Oct (BLT is our first choice, AKL is our 2nd), then we will seriously looking at upgrading our view.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dana.
    I love my views at the Poly. We almost always book a MK/Lagoon view. However, the thing about the Poly is..well, its just gorgeous everywhere. We've stayed GV twice, and will stay Garden view club level at Easter time in a month. I have never been disappointed looking at ANYTHING at the Poly because the landscaping is so darn wonderful. So unless the tiki Gods shine upon us at check in next month, we will be facing the beautiful grounds and love it and be very satisfied. It really depends on how much you will truely be in the room. You will be very happy at the Polynesian, period. So if the money is well spent someplace else,don't give it a thought. Chances are you'll be spending lots of time on the beach, the pool, exploring the resort, so the view may not matter that much! It will all be pretty. I promise.
    Lisa
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest sticking with the view you have and just see how you like it once you check in. If you don't, then just ask how much an upgrade would cost. You might even get an upgrade for free if you do it that way???
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC