Quantcast Any advice for my July trip?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any advice for my July trip?

Please don't pelt me with beignets, but I have to admit I'm having a hard time getting totally excited. We've only ever been to WDW, and I've always had the (probably unfounded) impression that Disneyland isn't as "special". I know the parks themselves are smaller than in Florida, and I don't know if that will affect my experience. Also, we're staying at the Candy Cane, which I hear is nice (toss up between that and Park Vue, but I wanted to book a Good Neighbour package), but it doesn't look like the kind of place where you'd really enjoy hanging out around the pool. That worries me a bit since I was hoping to take the heat of the afternoon off and rest up at the hotel. Also, I bought a 4 day park hopper pass reasoning that with summer crowds touring will take longer, but now I'm seeing a lot of people saying 2 days is plenty, so I'm worried that 4 days will be too much! So, any advice about weather and crowds, special things I should not miss, best places to eat, etc? (I'm trying Blue Bayou, don't know where else is a must do. My kids are older - 11 and 17). I know there are a few rides that are unique (Indiana Jones) or much better than WDW (Pirates and Space Mountain), so I'm excited about those. Also - any thoughts on Six Flags Magic Mountain? Kids and hubby want to go there - not sure there's much for me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Candy Cane Inn has a better pool area than Park View. You should be fine with the 4 day hopper. There are lots of nooks and crannies to explore.

The weather is usually hot during the day and will cool off in the evening.

As for places to eat.... my favorites are Storytellers Cafe, Whitewater snacks (both in the Grand Californian), In Disneyland park we love Carnation Cafe, Plaza Inn, and for quick dining Village Haus in Fantsyland.

Attractions: Don't forget the Enchanted Tiki Room- original version, Explorer canoes, Fantasmic on the ROA. Also at DCA you have Toy Story Mania, Screamin, Maliboomer, the new water show (can't remember what it is called), Aladdin will still be playing as well.

As for Six Flags, I am with you My DD loves it though. I am sure I left somethings out. I am sure someone will be along with more info. Have a fun trip
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL - if it wasn't for you, I don't think I'd have ANY idea what I'm doing. I really did kind of want the Park Vue because of the bunk beds - I know the girls would be more comfy. As it is, Kiana will probably end up on the floor, since they can't seem to sleep well together! But otherwise the Candy Cane looks nice.

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I've always had the (probably unfounded) impression that Disneyland isn't as "special".
    Reasons Disneyland is more "special" than WDW:

It is the only park that Walt was directly involved in and walked in.

Disneyland blows the Magic Kingdom away in terms of charm, attractions and tired feet.

The two theme parks, Downtown Disney & Hotels are literally steps apart. No waiting at bus stops for buses. No more travel time between parks.

Several attractions are 10 times better at DL. Pirates, IASW, & Space Mountain are the main examples.

No humidity.

There are numerous attractions not available at WDW: Roger Rabbit, Mr. Toad, Indiana Jones, California Screamin', Captain EO, The Walt Disney Story: Featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln & Nemo Submarine Voyage to name a few.

Walt Disney's Apartment at Disneyland.

If your into the history of the park, Disneyland is chock full of nooks, crannies, hidden gems and charm.

The fireworks: Remember...Dreams Come True. Is the BEST firework show in history.

Fantasmic! is 10 times better at Disneyland.

You've got plenty of time to research and explore before you go, I know you guys will enjoy Disneyland Resort so much!

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to all those rides, they also have: The Matterhorn, Pinnochio, Alice in Wonderland, Monsters Inc., and California Screamin.

And The Blue Bayou is super-fun. The food isn't anything amazing, but it's so cozy and you really feel like you're in another world while you're in there. There is also a cute table service restaurant near New Orleans Square that has a Ratatouille theme going on.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Hit DL in the morning. It doesn't start filling up until about 10:00. Do Fantasyland first thing and you should be able to get all the rides done in an hour. Space Mountain is another good one first thing. If you want to do the submarines do those early as well because it's a SLOW ride, takes a lot of time to load and unload and the line stacks up really fast.

For food in Disneyland I really recommend the Mexican restaurant next to Big Thunder. Don't remember the name, but huge portions, fair prices and good food. You can easily split a plate at this place. Remember, DL does not sell alcohol, so don't plan on any wine with meals.

Head over to DCA when it starts to get crowded at DL. It never seems very crowded there. A word of warning, especially in July. DCA is a HOT park. A lot of cement, not a lot of shade.

Grizzly River Run is a great way to cool down, but the line gets long. Definately a fast pass option, or Single Rider.

If you're comfortable with it, take advantage of the single rider option whenever possible. Specifically Indiana and Grizzly River Run, you'll save a TON of time. I usually go with my sisters. All told there is usually four of us and at Indiana especially we've all riden in the same car, if not the same row, all but once. GRR there are often two of us in the same boat. Word of warning about that, when you're single rider there you'll be on the 'edge' and will get VERY wet. I would recommend having a ziplock or other plastic bag to put your camera in. I ended up going to the store next to GRR and got a bag from them before going on the ride to keep cameras and cell phones safe.

It seems that every time I go early in the morning Indiana is down, so if you head over there first thing, have a back up plan just in case it's closed.

Toy Story Mania is fun but it doesn't have a fast pass and the line isn't shaded (at least it wasn't the one time I was on it) so be ready for that. Also, the line gets long fast.

Oh, if you go to the Mission Tortilla factory they give you a tortilla (or a bag of three if it's youre birthday). Yummy!

Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there!
    Just got back from WDW and while it does have more appeal then DL, I found the while at Magic Kingdom I missed the DL charm. July is a busy month for the parks. But a 4 day hopper is a greta way to "beat" the crowds. You have the luxury to take your time and not rush to do it all in one day.
    Bring your patience. You will run into people (locals) who are in a rush to do everything in the same day and there will be times when it seems like it is wall to wall people (walkway thru Adventureland to New Orleans square can feel tight at certain times of the day).
    It is often said that you should get your fast pass first thing in the morning. This is great advice. We always get our fast passes for Space Mountain as soon as we get there and then head over to Nemo & Autotopia. Once your fast pass time has come, you can return at anytime during the day.
    Pay attention to Fast Pass return times. Often the Standy By line is only 60 min, which seems like a lot, but sometimes the Fast Passes being distributed are for 8:00 pm and it is still only 2:00 in the afternoon. This happens on Indy alot, and the Indy line moves fast. So sometimes, stand by line is much better.
    Candy Cane Inn is still a very acceptable choice to have some down time during the day. At WDW, their hotels are themed to be an attraction themselves. Last July, we were there on the 4th and stayed across the street at the Fairfield Inn, we didnt think much of the pool area, but didnt let that deter us from some down time. Candy Cane Inn has a nicer pool area than Fairfield. You should be OK.
    There are alot of dining options at DL. I love Steakhouse 55 at Disneyland Hotel. If you want a Cali Grill type experience, then you will like Napa Rose at the Grand Cali hotel.
    DCA has Ariels Grotto. We always request an outside table to sit by the water and enjoy the breeze. The Disney Princesses come around to the tables and the food is pretty good.
    We also like doing the Breakfast in the Park at Disneyland at the Plaza Inn. This is a buffet with alot of characters. In the afternoon, the Plaza Inn sells the greatest Fried Chicken.
    I live near Magic Mountain, and I never go. Dont care for it. I like Knotts or Universal myself.
    While DL is no WDW, there are still plenty of things to get excited about. Especially the fact that this is a first time experience. And you will see and do things you havent before.
    Safe travels and hope you have a great time visiting "our weekend home"
    Adina
    DVC Since 2007 - AKL, BLT, VGC
    WDW Feb 2010 -BLT
    Poly - Feb 2007
    All Star Sports - Aug 2005
    DL Prem AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robnadina View Post
    I live near Magic Mountain, and I never go. Dont care for it.
    Same here, about 15 min south in the north SFV. I guess we are neighbors.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

A word about GRR.

You don't need to ziplock your personal items.

They offer FREE lockers. They are located right next to the entrance. They are free for I think 3 hours.

I take a pair of flip flops in my backpack and change out of sneakers, put the sneakers in the locker with your other items and you don't have to walk around in soggy shoes all day!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    A word about GRR.

You don't need to ziplock your personal items.

They offer FREE lockers. They are located right next to the entrance. They are free for I think 3 hours.

I take a pair of flip flops in my backpack and change out of sneakers, put the sneakers in the locker with your other items and you don't have to walk around in soggy shoes all day!
    Wow, I never knew about the lockers. I guess there's always something new to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Wow, I never knew about the lockers. I guess there's always something new to learn.
    One of the BEST things about INTERCOT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a big fan of DL food in the parks with one notable exception -- the Pacific Wharf cafe at CA where they serve salads in sourdough bread bowls. We don't even consider lunching anywhere else. I also love Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in DTD, best food I had by a mile the whole week I was there last year. As for the hotels, I would not be too concerned -- we have come to enjoy taking our pop up camper and resting at the RV park pool every afternoon (and yes, I have stayed at BC and WL at WDW).

The best thing about CA is the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail -- the BEST interactive playplace in the Disney universe, by far (in the US anyway). It is unreal and the kids love it. The "park rangers" have fun and games randomly scheduled during the day, like rubber ducky races. It is crazy fun.

DL has the original Tiki Room, which my soon to be 9 year olds think is a blast. I also think DL's main Street is better, and New Orleans Square is the best themed land at either WDW or DL, IMHO. they have a jazz band that parades through all the time.

BUT THE VERY BEST THING DL HAS OVER WDW --

THE BILLY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check them out on youtube, they made me laugh so hard last time I was there I could have almost starred in a Depends commercial.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: