Quantcast Shamu kills a trainer

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Shamu kills a trainer

Just saw on cnn that one of the killer whales in Sea World Orlando killed one of the trainers It happened before a show so no one saw it happen they said that they evacuated the park.
    So sad...
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"
    Upcoming trips
    March 2013 for Garden Festival
    October 2013 Food and Wine!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww, the poor trainer!! Prayers go out to both him and his family/friends.

Post Thanks / Like

While I would never wish such a thing on anyone -- and I am so sorry for the trainer's family and friends -- this is exactly why we have no business creating entertainment from these titans of the seas. These are great, wild creatures who are not loving, tame pets, and we tend to lose sight of that when we humanize them and give them cute names and make them into adorable stuffed animals.

Captivity for conservation, not for capitalization.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

This is awful!!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Jennifer. Going to sea world last year made me realize that I do not find those shows entertaining. I didn't enjoy myself and thankfully my kids didn't either so we won't be going back. It just felt very wrong to me and I hardly consider myself an environmentalist or anything. While this is sad news for the trainers family and friends, this type of wild animal behavior should never come as a surprise to anyone.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I read that it happened during a show and the audience had to be evacuated? So sad, in any event. I just wonder what exactly happened, with conflicting reports out there. The article I saw also named the whale and said they had had issues with this particular whale in the past.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad..

I think it's long overdue that these types of shows are stopped all together.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I have read a few conflicting news stories as well. From the most reliable, it seems like there wasn't a show going on, but there were people in a viewing area, and the trainers were giving some sort of lecture about the whales. So, there were witnesses. However, witness accounts differ from Sea World's "official statement", which is extremely vague (something to the effect of "a trainer slipped and fell into the tank and drowned"). Sea World is denying "foul play", whatever that means, but then goes on to say that there has never been an incident of this nature at their park. Figures...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

How tragic! My heart goes out to the team that cares for them.

I am of two minds of the shows, though. I don't think that we need to see them doing 'tricks' like a dog. But I think being able to observe them in a semi natural environment and watch them is a good thing. It makes them 'real'. Unfortunately, we seem to need be able to see and touch things to care for them and be alerted to the plights that the creatures have in our world. I feel that it's easier to dismiss them and their existence if we haven't seen how magnificent they are in real life.(and no, a TV documentary doesn't cut it).

Just my opinion though ~ not trying to start something.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I read that it happened during a show and the audience had to be evacuated? So sad, in any event. I just wonder what exactly happened, with conflicting reports out there. The article I saw also named the whale and said they had had issues with this particular whale in the past.
    Watching the news right now, they had some interviews from witnesses who said it happened just before the show, and the trainer was grabbed by the whale, pulled underwater and shook around. Very sad. We were at Sea World San Diego a few months ago taking my in-laws to see the show for the first time. They were really amazed to see such a show.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

How horrific. Our thoughts are with everyone that was there.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

I highly agree with some of the previous posts.
    Went to Sea World San Diego in 2008 and I was just so upset watching the show...I felt awful for going. To see these animals doing tricks just isn't right Its one thing to study these animals and another to make them perform.
    I am so sorry for the trainer that died and their family.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvDaMouse View Post
    Just saw on cnn that one of the killer whales in Sea World Orlando killed one of the trainers It happened before a show so no one saw it happen they said that they evacuated the park.
    So sad...

It was not Shamu. It was another whale that has killed others already.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jennifer and BrerGnat and this is why I haven't been to Sea World since my parents took me as a child. These are wild animals and no matter how much their trainers love them (which I really do believe they form a bond with them) they will always be wild and unpredicable. Plus, it is really cruel to put them in those tanks instead of them being out in the open sea. I know if I was never able to leave my house again I would go stir crazy and I think that's what happens to some of these animals. Especially the ones in circuses that are beaten while being "trained".

Wild animals belong in the wild and not doing tricks for our entertainment (that includes circuses) and I am hoping one day these kinds of shows are no longer in demand.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Our prayers go out to Dawn's family & her Seaworld family. The park has no plans to put the whale down at this time.

The whale's name is Tilly (which is a shortened version of the whale's name) and while there has been 2 other incidents with this whale, you have to take each incident on its own. For example, in 1999 a man broke into Seaworld in Orlando and was found in the tank with Tilly. his death was ruled from hypothermia. I am going to guess that he ended up in the tank somehow and couldn't get out.
    Last edited by NJGIRL; 02-25-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: outside links no allowed
    1974-1983 WDW day trips*92 WDW *94 Contemporary*97 WDW*97 Poly*98 DL PAC*99 DL DLH*2000 POFQ & CR*01 WDW*02 DLR DLH*02 WDW*03 POR*03 WDW 06 DVC Member*06 DLR*07 VBR*07 OKW*07 VWL*08 GCH*09 BLT*09 AKV*10 OKW*10 DLP-DH*11 BLT*11 AKL*12 BWV*14 Aulani*15 VGC*17 VGC*SDL TSH*17 TDR DAH*18 BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    Shamu is a stage name many of the whales have used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    And this is a pretty harsh statement. The whale in question has not "killed others"... it just so happened that a man snuck into the park ten years ago, stripped down to his skivvies, and was eventually found dead in Tilly's tank, officially due to hypothermia.

I am extremely saddened to hear of this news, and the fact that we don't hear about these incidents every week, or more than once every decade, proves that these trainers and animals have great relationships. I am interested to hear the final report...the eyewitness accounts are all over the place (which, I suppose, is to be expected considering the traumatic nature of the event).

Either way, my prayers go out to the family, and to all those who had to witness this.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

This event is such a tragedy in many respects.

As a keeper in an aquarium it is so hard to watch the animal, Tilly, villanized in this case. Within the captive animal field it is always the case that the animals are never responsible, we the keepers are . As an animal trainer I can't help but feel that the trainer in this story would be horrified that an animal she loved and respected was being turned into a monster. We go into this field for the love of the animals we work with and we understand every single day the risk we take in working with them.

In working on a daily basis with sting rays and introducing them to human visitors I constantly have to defend a peaceful animal due to the tragedy with Steve Irwin, a legacy he too would have been horrified to find linked to himself.

For the "witness" accounts that the animal was agitated or acting out, I can only say that animal behavior is so easily misconstrued in one's mind when you have not been trained on that particular animal. Tilly's trainers would have picked up on any outward behavior that was unusual, as a trainer and a keeper that is a constant thought. I'm sure this will be found to be a tragic accident or mistake on the part of the trainer.

My thoughts and prayers go to her family, Sea World employees and those who are left with the task of defending Tilly.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    And this is a pretty harsh statement. The whale in question has not "killed others"... it just so happened that a man snuck into the park ten years ago, stripped down to his skivvies, and was eventually found dead in Tilly's tank, officially due to hypothermia.
    Actually this particular whale has killed another trainer. It was up in at a park in British Columbia a quite few years ago. Tilikum has had a history of other issues as well.

While it is a VERY tragic event, these animals are still wild. You can take every precaution but when you are dealing with intelligent beings, anything can happen.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    And this is a pretty harsh statement.
    There is nothing harsh about it. The whale did kill another in Canada. The man who broke in and was found dead is another issue. He was stupid. Regardless, this whale has now killed two people at least.

I am completely against keeping any whale in captivity. These mammals roam thousands of miles on their normal migrations. Keeping them in tanks that are essentially smaller than a prison cell is ridiculous. I have not been to a Sea World since I was a toddler. I will not go to one any time soon.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: