Quantcast Old ticket question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old ticket question

I think I know the answer but, I just want to make sure...

We found a old paper ticket from the late 80's with 2 days left. These are very old. The days with only MK and EP. My question is, can use the adult one for me (which was originally used by my mom) and the child one for my DD (which was originally used for me)? And if yes, would it be considered a 1 park or park hopper ticket? If Park Hopper ticket, would I only be able to hop to MK and EP which was the only parks when the original tickets were issued?

I know these are probably very silly and I'm feeling VERY wet behind the ears for asking this question!
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, park tickets are good forever. However, they are non-transferrable which means that can't be used by someone other than the person to whom they were originally issued.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Well, park tickets are good forever. However, they are non-transferrable which means that can't be used by someone other than the person to whom they were originally issued.
    While I totally follow the rules, how do we or they prove who used them? Then the child ticket I have I can't use and will have to be turned into a scrapbook embellishment?

I guess I'll just have to call and ask...
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Those are collectors items at this point. I'd hold on to them, or auction them on Ebay....
    Holiday Villas (2000 & 2001)
    Parc Corniche (2002 & 2007)
    Comfort Inn Lake Buena vista (2008)
    Port Orleans Riverside (2009 & 2010)
    Pop Century Resort (2011 & 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer_and_Chris View Post
    While I totally follow the rules, how do we or they prove who used them? Then the child ticket I have I can't use and will have to be turned into a scrapbook embellishment?

I guess I'll just have to call and ask...
    Honestly, don't bother calling. The weak link in all of WDW is that there is no place to call for general questions. We can call the reservations line, but the cast members there are NOT NOT NOT experts in anything other than resort reservations, ticket SALES, and dining reservations. They are NOT trained to answer questions such as yours. HOWEVER, this doesn't stop many of them from providing answers, anyway. Unfortunately, as you can imagine, they are wrong very very often.

You are smart to ask the question here.

But I'll ignore the question for a moment and ask you a different question instead. How many days will you be visiting Disney theme parks? If you are going for MORE than 3 days, then save those old tickets as a scrapbook embellishment.

The 4th day of a multi-day ticket costs only $10. The 5th through 10th days cost only $3 each. So if you plan to go to Disney parks on 6 days of your trip, the difference between buying a 5-day ticket and a 6-day ticket is only three bucks.

So in this case, in my opinion, it wouldn't be worth it to use those old tickets.

So now to answer your question ...
    Of course, Disney will have no way of knowing who the original tickets were bought/used by. However, they'll know for sure that your young daughter wasn't alive when the tickets were issued, and thus they'll know it couldn't possibly be her ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, check the tickets carefully....I believe that it was a 90's thing that the tickets were not transferable....In the early 80's, we made a trip with another couple who purchased used tickets with days left at a gas station/rest stop on the way down, and they used the tickets with no problems....The old ones, that looked like luggage tags, with spaces for the date used to be stamped. Gloated about the money they saved. I had purchased ours as part of a Disney package, and felt that buying such tickets were a risk not worth taking.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    First of all, check the tickets carefully....I believe that it was a 90's thing that the tickets were not transferable....In the early 80's, we made a trip with another couple who purchased used tickets with days left at a gas station/rest stop on the way down, and they used the tickets with no problems
    But all of that won't help with the OP's child ticket situation. It will be obvious that the old child ticket was bought/used before the OP's child was even born. ... Disney charges adult prices for tickets once someone has reached their 10th birthday, and does not require tickets for children who have not yet reached their 3rd birthdays. So therefore, they'll immediately know that the old child ticket could not possibly have been bought for/used by the OP's child. In this exact case, THAT is how they will know.

It's not that tickets were non-transferable in the past, it's just that enforcement was next to impossible. But the very youngest a totally legitimate user of that old child ticket could be today is about 29 or 30 (9 years old in 1989, making him/her 29 or 30 today).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    First of all, check the tickets carefully....I believe that it was a 90's thing that the tickets were not transferable....In the early 80's, we made a trip with another couple who purchased used tickets with days left at a gas station/rest stop on the way down, and they used the tickets with no problems....The old ones, that looked like luggage tags, with spaces for the date used to be stamped. Gloated about the money they saved. I had purchased ours as part of a Disney package, and felt that buying such tickets were a risk not worth taking.
    Yes, they are the ones that are paper luggage tag looking type with space to stamp the date of usage... thus, knowing that they are from the 80's. I have to take them out of my storage box and read them to see if it says anything about transferring the tickets.

About saving on more days... I totally agree with just buying more days if we go over 3 days. We will be there for 5 days. However, I have one day left from a no-expire ticket, the GAD voucher and this 80's ticket with one day on it. My DH has a GAD voucher and will upgrade to a 5 day at the gate to save $$. for our DD's one is in my same situation and the other we will have to buy the ticket at full price for the 5 days.

Weird situation I know!!!! I'm SOOOOOO not a math problem person but, alas, here I am with a true-real life math problem and am trying to figure out the best use of what we have and $$$....

reminds me of the.... if a train leaves point a and travels this fast and another train leaves point b traveling this fast, and point c is where they are going and located x miles from a and y miles from b when will each get to point c if they leave at 8am from the same time zones.

Post Thanks / Like

From all reports, IF the child ticket is part of a multi day ticket used by a child, Disney will usually upgrade that to an adult ticket for free. The key is, it had to have been used by a child when first used. If it's yours, and you were a child when you first used it, I would be surprised if Disney just didn't upgrade it to an adult ticket.

You'll need to visit the ticket window anyway (probably Guest Relations) to convert it to a ticket that fill be usable by the turnstyles anyway.

I wouldn't bother selling them for cash on eBay. There are MANY, MANY vintage tickets out in circulation, it's best used in a scrapbook.

Post Thanks / Like

Last September, we used a bunch of old tickets.
    Back in the good old days, all tickets were non-expiring park hoppers.
    We simply had to go to guest relations and have the tickets converted to the new ticket types. The whole process took about ten minutes.
    BTW, some tickets were only for MK and Epcot, but we were told they could be used in all four theme parks.
    We still have some more un-used tickets, including two gold pre-opening commemorative tickets purchased about a year before MGM opened.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    You can exchange your old child ticket to a new adult ticket for yourself.
    November 2010 - Fort Wilderness
    August 2008 – Pop
    April 2008 – Fort Wilderness
    November 2004 – Off Site – Cypress Point Resort

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: