Quantcast Ian's No ADR Trip - A Summary

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Ian's No ADR Trip - A Summary

Just thought I'd post this little review of our recent trip, since there's so much discussion these days about the need to have ADR's for every meal, over-schedule, etc.

This last trip that we just finished we decided we weren't going to make a single ADR for our entire stay. Not one. We decided that we were just going to wing it and hope for the best. We're tired of being slaves to our dining reservations and having to say things like, "Sorry kids. You don't have time to meet Mickey, because we just have to get to Epcot or we'll miss our ADR." Ridiculous.

So how did it work out? Quite well, actually. We were able to get in at every place we tried without exception. We ate breakfast at Ohana, Hollywood & Vine, and 1900 Park Fare, dinner at Teppan Edo, Le Cellier and Chefs De France, lunch at Rainforest Cafe and The Plaza. We even had ice cream and snacks at Beaches & Cream. No ADR's, no problems.

And boy was it really great not having to worry about being in a certain place at a certain time. We ate when we got hungry and picked a place close by and were never turned away. Not once.

Now admittedly January is pretty slow. I don't think I would try it during the summer or over Christmas. But from now on when we go during a down time we are definitely passing on the ADR's and playing it by .
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for you. I'm glad it worked out. January is a great time to try that.

We used to make ADRs for every day. The last few trips we left a day or 2 open and that plan worked well for us.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

That is fantastic, and you got into some wonderful places!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

A few years back, we did just fine on a last minute June weekend trip. Because it was last minute, we decided we'd just wing it with dining so didn't even attempt to make dining reservations before we left. We figured we'd just be prepared to be turned away from some places. Despite the lack of dining reservations, we were able to have lunch at Le Cellier and Liberty Tree Tavern. I don't remember any other places we dined but we were pleasantly surprised with our experience.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We usually don't do the dining plan (with the exception of free dining) and we don't make adrs. I've always had decent luck but I would never wing it during free dining. I had a hard time getting adrs and when we got there, I couldn't change any of our times.

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely love to try that if we go back during a slower period. Our last two trips were in the summer and then Thanksgiving day week so ADRs were necessary. But we feel much the same, kind of tired of having to tell the kids to get out of the pool because we've gotta be ready to be back in the park for an ADR. We cancelled a few ADRs this past Nov. because we were just having too much fun to go get ready for dinner. Glad it worked out for you and your family.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Glad this worked out for you and you got to eat at some nice places. While you note that this was feasible due to the time of year, I also wonder if the time of day mattered as well. For dinner, what time did you try for a walk-up? As I like eating dinner at around 7:30 (as does the rest of my family), I would think it would be harder to obtain a walk-up table than say 5:00-5:30.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm not the norm.. but I still never make ADR's. I never have a clue where I'm going to be and have no desire to switch parks if I'm having fun. We always eat what we want.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ian! Always enjoy learning from your experiences! We only make a couple of adr's - only for the 1 or 2 places that are a must do for that trip, the rest we wing! I can't imagine having those restraints on our day - everyday!

We always enjoy our dining experiences in WDW, but we aren't there for the food, so for us dining is second fiddle to our time doing everything else we want to do whenever we want to do it!

Thanks for reminding us that it's ok "wing it" sometimes!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Glad this worked out for you and you got to eat at some nice places. While you note that this was feasible due to the time of year, I also wonder if the time of day mattered as well. For dinner, what time did you try for a walk-up? As I like eating dinner at around 7:30 (as does the rest of my family), I would think it would be harder to obtain a walk-up table than say 5:00-5:30.
    It varied. We definitely ate dinner most times between 5 and 6, but I think our Teppan Edo meal was more like 7 or so.

I agree with you, though, that a willingness to be flexible with when you eat is critical if you want to go with no ADR's. If you're picky about what time you eat, I wouldn't try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink#64 View Post
    Thanks Ian! Always enjoy learning from your experiences! We only make a couple of adr's - only for the 1 or 2 places that are a must do for that trip, the rest we wing! I can't imagine having those restraints on our day - everyday!
    I think we may do this next time. Just make one or two "important" ADR's and then wing it the rest of the way.
    Ian șOș

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's really cool that you were able to do all this without ADRs. Good to know what's really possible. In a quieter season, of course, but it's still inspiring. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering where your trip reports were!!
    I'm so happy that you reported on this! When we did the dining plan in December not only are we never doing the dining plan again but it made me realize how ridiculous all the ADR's were. I dont' like planning my vacation around eating, it drives me nuts because we miss out on so many other things. Plus we don't get to do the order of the parks the way I want because it depends on where we are eating that day and that too drives me nuts!
    For future trips I am only planning on making 1 or 2 ADR's and that is it...I'm tired of stressing out over where we have to be and how long its going to take me to get there.
    Now that I have a child its even more difficult because half the times I made an ADR it wasn't a time that the baby ate and ended up having to feed him before or after our ADR anyways. This way if I don't have an ADR and he needs to eat at a certain time I will just get any counter service for him if need be. This just allows for more flexibility and less to be running around for. Thanks Ian for posting this! I really appreciate it!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

My last two trips to WDW I felt like a "slave to ADR's" and it was one of the reasons I didn't enjoy my trips as much as I would have liked.

I felt like we were running here and there just to eat and didn't have time to relax and enjoy the trip.

Thanks for posting this, on my next WDW trip I am gonna try and do it ADR free!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind having a few ADRs but never like being tied down on vacation so I often go ADR free. I can always find some place to eat and if I can't get a TS I can survive on CS since there is still enough variety. Glad to hear it worked out for you. After travelling with my cousin and her twins last year I realized how silly it is for families to be a slave to the ADR.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to hear.
    I'm looking forward to being able to go at a non super busy time someday. I would love to not have to have o make ADRs.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes wondered this last trip just what good ADRs where - we waited several times well past our ADR time and watched what were clearly walkups be seated before us. The only place we saw a walkup turned away was La Cellier.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you. ADRs do take a lot of itme out of your day. We found that the ADRs at resort restaurants were especially time consuming but other than Epcot, that's where the best places seem to be.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Great news! So glad to hear this worked out for you.

We've done the everyday ADRs and the dining plan and won't be doing either again. I would much rather make just one or two ADRs, have more freedom and take our chances on walk-ins, or just get CS.

Post Thanks / Like

that's awesome that it worked out so well! for my trip i always have to make reservations because the places i love are usually the popular ones
    Just call me Jen ;)

2/11-8/11: WDWCP DHS Attractions - GMR
    Current - GMR/JTA/Star Tours

Previous Trips:
    10/21/10-10/24/10 - Halloween Party
    9/10/10-9/12/10 - Tink Weekend :D
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sndral View Post
    I sometimes wondered this last trip just what good ADRs where - we waited several times well past our ADR time and watched what were clearly walkups be seated before us. The only place we saw a walkup turned away was La Cellier.
    Yeah, it's funny you mention this, because when we ate at Le Cellier we walked up to the reservations kiosk out front (the one that's set up actually outside the gate there, not the one inside the restaurant) and stood in line behind a couple who had ADR's and were checking in.

When it was our turn, we almost jokingly asked, "I don't suppose there's any chance you have a table available?" and the CM was like, "Oh well we could seat you right now if you'd like?"

So when we went inside, the couple that had been ahead of us was speaking to the hostess and I heard her telling them, "The wait could be up to 30 minutes." Not wanting to wait that long, I checked in with her and was told, "Oh you're next to be seated!" and we literally had a table inside of 2 or 3 minutes.

I watched and it took close to 20 minutes before the couple with the ADR's were seated.
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: