Quantcast Is going to Universal "cheating" on Disney?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Is going to Universal "cheating" on Disney?

So after our last trip DH is convinced that he needs to go to Universal. He is more of a "thrill ride kind of guy" or atleast he likes to think so. I never even consider it. I feel bad when I look at the website- or think that something maybe looks "cool." It's almost like I have this subconscious hatred for Universal. But then I look and I think that the Dr. Seuss area looks good for my 2 year old, and I can't deny the Harry Potter land looks appealing...

Am I the only one who feels like I am cheating on my beloved Disney World by thinking of checking "the other" place out on our next trip?

Somebody help me- and please, guys, lets keep this between you and me...
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. I think Universal is doing a lot of what WDW is not. They have many thrill rides that WDW is lacking. WDW is still grasping at the kiddie ride concept. IMHO, over half the rides at WDW can be found in almost any State Fair. If more enjoyable rides are your thing, then going to Universal is fine.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is cheating. If so, I will be cheating on our next trip. Only our cheat will be at Kennedy Space Center.

I am thinking of adding 2 or 3 nights doing a split stay. I don't want to use up park time. If I don't have tickets... I am not cheating. and I will still be at a Disney hotel.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

It can't be cheating when it is so delicious. ;-)

Universal parks are great, and Universal hotels are superior to Disney's. I think we are entitled to enjoy all there is to see out there, and it would be criminal to deny yourself the right to go and see what there is to do at Universal.

Have fun !
    -------------
    Numerous day trips to DLRP
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ
    2007 DLRP - Halloween at DLRP, Newport Bay Club Hotel
    2008 : Universal And POR WDW
    2009 : Disneyland Anaheim Off Site
    2010 : Florida, Wilderness Lodge and DCL : 04/22 - 05/06

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheating on Disney

It is not cheating. Universal is a whole different experience. We know why we love Disney. The magic is there unlike anywhere else, but Universal has more thrill rides. Fun in its own way.
    Jen
    Massachusetts

October 1995 - Carribean Beach

November 2007 - All Star Movies

August 2016 - All Star Music/Port Orleans Riverside

August 2019 - All Star Music/Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of think it's cheating. I have no desire to go to Universal, even though it may be fun. But WDW has so much to do and when I get there, I don't leave the ground until it's time to go home! I like thrill rides, but not so much to be disappointed that WDW doesn't have enough. The atmosphere is enough for me
    4 trips from 83-85 Buena Vista Palace
    6/90 CB
    12/91 CB
    6/93 DL
    6/94 DL
    2/95 DL
    12/95 WL
    11/96 Disney Institute
    5/98 DL
    5/00 DL
    11/02 ASM
    9/04 PO RS
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 Off grounds
    5/06 PO RS
    5/07 PC
    4/08 PC
    11/08 PC
    10/09 PC
    Coming 4/10 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Your not married to Disney you are allowed to see what's out there. Plus competition is what helps to keep Disney going. They need to know what people like better about other parks so they can add and change things. Go and have fun- I plan to for our trip in Oct- only I am going to Seaworld and Busch Gardens. Waiting till a little later when DS6 can enjoy Universal to try that park. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

We go to Universal- not every trip or every year. Now that our kids are tall enough and old enough for the rides we will definitely go more frequently than in the past. It offers some things WDW doesn't. Plus DH and I love HHN. We have been to the parks on both coasts.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I always consider it cheating too I call people that go there traitors LOL

The only thing is some of Universals rides are above Disney's in some ways. I am also interested in cheating on Disney when the new Harry Potter park opens up. I can't wait for that.

But yes like previous posts said, Universal hotels are a lot cheaper and I think that their city walk blows DTD away. But that is just my opinion. But I definitely think you should experience it.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to Universal in years, and have never taken my kids. But with Harry Potter and now my boys are taller and more adventurous we are planning a trip in the fall.
    My issue is that we buy the Disney Annual Pass and have only a certain amount of time to spend in Orlando, so we are at Disney every trip. I am actually not renewing my Disney Passes when they run out in the summer and I am buying Universal ones. So we'll see how I handle Disney withdrawl! The good part is Universal has a three month FL resident pass available at COSTCO. So I only need three months away from Disney! I think I can do it!
    I know you
    I walked with you once upon a dream.
    We've Stayed at GF, AKL, BW, BC, CR, FW Cabins, CS, CBR, AS Music, POP, POFQ, OKW,SSR
    Last Trip: SSR April 2015
    Next Trip: Yacht Club Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's cheating at all....However, having said that, I have no interest in going (I might go to Universal CA, to actually see some film history). I'm the anti-thrill ride guy and Harry Potter has never floated my boat for some reason. So, while I certainly don't condemn others for going to Universal, they can have my spot in line when they get there...and I'll take their's at DIsney!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneykid@hrt View Post

Somebody help me- and please, guys, lets keep this between you and me...
    Don't do it! Mickey will find out you've cheated on him, and you won't be able to live with yourself!
    Stay true to your love!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not cheating, but I have never gone myself - not because i don't want to, but mainly because A) transportation - we don't rent a car (we love that we don't need to on-site), so getting there is more difficult. And B) I hate to take any time away from WDW. So basically, I would have to extend my trip to include universal. Of course, then, I'd probably be like, Oh, 2 more days - maybe I should just spend them at WDW.

Now that the Harry Potter area will be opening, though, it might change - I'd like to see it. I'll have to start saving to be able to afford my normal 8-10 days at WDW, plus adding on Universal, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

No, don't go to Universal. You wouldn't like it, and that leaves the lines there shorter for the rest of us that do!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to Sea World but not to Universal Studios. We have been waiting on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, so on our next trip we plan on spending a day at Universal. We'll still spend most of our time at Walt Disney World, but it will be interesting to see what it's like at Universal.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I never wanted to go to Universal, but broke down for a special trip with my boys in 08, as a treat to them.
    They and i were both really glad I took them to Universal because:
    1. new experiences and attractions
    2. Universal overall gave my boys a WHOLE new appreciation for WDW and the magic
    3. Universal helped us lose all the weight we gained at WDW, because the food was baaad
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    No, don't go to Universal. You wouldn't like it, and that leaves the lines there shorter for the rest of us that do!

I agree ~ We stay onsite at Disney but always spend at least 3 days at Universal! It's great and if anything, you learn to appreciate Disney a bit more when it comes to quality of staff and you will learn not to complain about the prices of food onsite WDW because US is ridiculous!! Either bring snacks or prepare to be roasted when you eat! LOL

It's all part of the experience!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

we always spend at least one day at US, but that is usually enough for us. They do have an Emeril's there, which we love and went for lunch in Jan 2010.

Universal has some very good 'rides', Spiderman being the best ride (IMO) in Orlando, but US is missing the 'magic' that Disney has. Quite frankly, Disney has more characters and movies that appeal to the entire family, where US is definitively more for the teenager/young adult audience.

One thing that i have noticed and mentioned before is that at US, the buildings are all built totally to size, as opposed to DHS, where forced perspective is used. This makes DHS more playful and less intimidating than US. Neither park is doing any major filming, so I think DHS went the right way in being more of a 'theme' park rather than trying to be a working studio.
    First visit 1971
    Annual pass member
    Visit 2005
    May 2005 become DVC Member!!!
    Last visit 2006
    Last minute 2007 trip (for my 50th Bday)
    January 1, 2010 for 8 days
    January 2, 2012 for 7 days!!
    November, 2013, quick trip
    October 2014 1st time with future son-in-law

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think its cheating, but I know what you mean, you get that feeling in your gut that its "wrong". Its hard to explain but it just means you are a true Disney fan!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

No.
    Each of the parks brings something to central Florida. They all contribute to making the area a tourism hot spot and all gain from the presence of the others. IE. I go to 8 days to WDW and maybe 2 to beaches and 4 to mix of "others".
    I would not return to Florida so often just for WDW.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: