Quantcast R and C and eating with picking kids

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb R and C and eating with picking kids

I REALLY want to eat at the Rose and Crown in Epcot and my 3 DS dont like anything on the menu. Can they get something else like (i hate to say it) chicken nuggest??

I was just wondering.
    I hope you have some Pixie Dust in every day!
    1st trip - 1970's-Off Site
    2nd trip -Dec 91-Honeymoon - RRI
    3rd Trip - Nov. 2004 - All Star Movie
    4th Trip - Feb 2010 - All Star Sports

God Bless,
    Jennifer

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Most WDW restaurants are very helpful when accomodating picky eaters. No guarantee but I think they would be able to provide something. If not get your 3 year old something else from somewhere else before or after dinner.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

When DS was 8/9, he was a really picky "plain meat and potatoes" kind of kid. On several occasions within WS, we asked for a simple meal for him, such as baked/grilled chicken or a burger. Unfortunately, not one place, LeCellier & Nine Dragons included, would accommodate us. They told us that they simply didn't have items available in their restaurant to make him anything - contrary to everything we'd heard and read before. Menus may change, but if they don't have the items on-hand that your children like, they can't make them for you. We thought it very strange that you could order tempura chicken or a grilled steak at these locations, but we couldn't get a plain chicken breast or burger at these same locations.

Now that DS is almost 12, he's more open to trying new foods so it's not as big of a deal - unless it's really exotic, he'll try it (and usually like it). However, if we know that we'll be eating at a location that's just not his style, we'll get him something to eat ahead of time to ensure that a) we're not wasting money on something he's not going to eat; and b) he can enjoy the things that he does like the most and we don't have to worry about our string-bean going hungry! I would ensure that if you do make the ressie at R&C that your kids aren't uber-hungry before you walk in, just in case they can't accommodate you.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post
    When DS was 8/9, he was a really picky "plain meat and potatoes" kind of kid. On several occasions within WS, we asked for a simple meal for him, such as baked/grilled chicken or a burger. Unfortunately, not one place, LeCellier & Nine Dragons included, would accommodate us. They told us that they simply didn't have items available in their restaurant to make him anything - contrary to everything we'd heard and read before.
    That is really disappointing to hear. I know one time at the Concourse Steakhouse, DS(6 at the time) wanted a chicken leg so badly, but all they had was strips on the meal. I will never forget the waitress saying "We'll see what Disney Magic I can find." 20 minutes later, DS had 2 chicken legs sitting in front of him!!!

Anyway, at RandC they do have the normal kids' menu...I know DS had pizza there...If not, isn't there a McDonald's location not far from there???
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

Usually the resort restaurants can accommodate these types of special requests, since there are so many restaurants in-house to choose from. The Concourse Steakhouse could have potentially "shared" with Chef Mickey's, Cali Grill, or Food & Fun Center. That's oftentimes why you hear of so many successful orders of simple foods - the resort restaurants have access to each other's. I think that Ohana's "kids items" may actually come from Kona Cafe'. However, the World Showcase restaurants are more limited in their items on hand. We were told nicely, but absolutely, that they didn't have these items in their kitchen to draw from. They weren't being difficult, they just didn't have the items in their kitchen. I am curious to know of others' experiences at the WS restaurants . . .
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

We were at R & C last month. My one son is picky and I recall there was pizza on the kids menu, and buttered noodles or noodles with sauce. I don't recall burgers or chicken.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We went there and I got chicken and french Fries
    Brittany

I Love Disney

been 23 times 24th is coming soon!!:)

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if this will help your son - but we were really surprised they didn't have fish and chips on the kids menu (since, of course, the whole English pub thing is practically ABOUT fish and chips ) but when we asked, they were totally happy to serve her that.

Post Thanks / Like

When my kids were younger they too were totally picky (it DOES get better I promise!). We have actually stopped and picked up chicken nuggets and fries at the old McDonalds kiosk just before you walk into the World Showcase and brought that with us to places like Rose and Crown. There really is not much for kids on the menu at Rose and Crown and we too have had the experience of not being able to get something plain or simple at some of the WS restaurants. By grabbing something ahead of time for the kids, DH and I could enjoy a restaurant that we wanted to try.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's hard with picky kids and not always possible without causing a fuss-- but we tried to use those situations as opportunities to get the kids to try new foods. We would ask them to try something, even if they just ate the side dish or took one bite, and if they didn't like it, we would buy them something else after the meal-- as long as they made an effort to try something new. This always worked for us, and my kids started trying new things (even though it occasionally resulted in buying another QS meal later). A lot of times, they found new foods they liked and ended up eating the whole meal. By the time they were preteens, they were happy to be adventurous and try new things without prompting or bribes. Good luck!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: