Quantcast Proposing in 3 weeks at WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Proposing in 3 weeks at WDW

Hey everyone, about 3 weeks til my girlfriend and I go to WDW for a long vacation. I have been with my girlfriend for about 2 and a half years now, and I will be asking her to marry me on our Vacation(she already knows, but doesnt know when i will be doing at while we are there) Sooooo....I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some ideas of places to do it and where to do it. We are eating at Coral Reef the second night we are there and was thinking about doing it there(having one of the divers come up to the glass with a sign that says "will you marry me") but i am still undecided....Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, I will keep everyone posted!
    May 2009 CSR
    Febuary 2010 CBR
    Next Trip HoneyMoon May 2011

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, WOW you're a really good boyfriend! I have heard of several people that did that. If she has, too, then you might want to go a different route. You want her to know that you're a good and *original* boyfriend!
    Unfortunately, I am not a blissfully romantic person as it's been 16 years since I was proposed to, nor am I very imaginative, but I am sure someone will come along shortly who is. Congrats and I hope she says YES!
    Frequent WDW visitor since 1976!
    Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age.And dreams are forever.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Castle proposal.

Congrats and good luck. I did it at the Magic Kingdom, in front if the castle at the start of the fireworks as tink was sliding down the wire. She never saw tink "fly" before and while she was looking up I was kneeling down. Worked for me, now i got 2 darling daughters who love Disney too. The 1 1/2 just had her first visit in December.
    Mmmmmmmmm Egg roll cart!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really get a chance to propose to my DW. She screwed all the plans up. So, she got the worst proposal ever. It is all her fault and she admits it.

This is just my .

Since she already knows it is happening but she doesn't know when, you have to do something completely dramatic and unexpected. I would definitely not do the proposal at a meal thing. She already knows. Here are some ideas I would do:

1. ToT: Right as you are getting our to where the doors open and before the drop. Yell it out so everyone hears you and then it falls. Of course, you need to secure the ring to a chain or something.

2. Get front row for a parade. Once the front is getting close and gives you the time to get out in the middle before being yelled at by CMs (kind of act like you are going ot get a quick drink or something), get on a knee and yell it out to her.

3. In front of MK where the kids play in front of the train station before rope drop. Right before they do the opening, you can do it there in front of huge crowds.

4. Talk to a CM or contact WDW before hand to see if you could get in the pre-show at DHS. While they do the "family of the day" thing in front of the rope, they may give you a minute in front of everyone to propose before rope drop.

5. See if you can coordinate her favorite character at one of the meet 'n' greets to get on a knee and show her the ring.

6. You can do it in front of the castle where Mickey and Walt are. Talk with the camera guy at first. Tell him what you are doing so he can kind of play along. You can have he point to the ground like you dropped something. You can get on your knee, act like you are picking it, and then show her the ring. This way you will have pictures of the entire proposal. This can really be done anywhere, but in this location you have Mickey, Walt, and the Castle.

I would try to come up with one of the most unexpected times to do it. Something and somewhere a bunch of people will witness it.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I propose in during the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom. We were in front of the roses as you bridge to tomorrow land. She was very suprised. She ran over to the lights to lok at the ring. People were asking if I really had just asked the question. I love the Magic Kingdom and couldn't think of a more speacial place to ask. When we go back we always stop and reflect and tell our kids. Best wishes
    Have a zippity doo-da day!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My husband proposed to me in front of the fountain of nations in Epcot. He knows I am HUGE Epcot fan. So he asked one of the Disney Photo people to take a picture of us in front of the fountain and while they were taking the picture he got down on one knee and proposed. We got a really great picture of the moment that is framed in our living room. When we went to pick up the photo the CM told us the guy who took the picture was so excited that he was able to experience it.
    If you can dream it you can do it!!!

01,02,03,04,05 x3 (plus Disneyland),06,08,10,11,12

Been there done that going back!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the above posters had mentioned doing it in front of people in the parade, or on a ride, or at rope drop, etc. I know that if my husband had proposed to me yelling in front of a big crowd, I would have been embarrassed... I'd rather have something quiet and more romantic. More 'personal' if that makes sense. So you've got to decide what kind-of lady you've got there.

If it were me, I'd love to be strolling around the little quiet pathways around Cinderella's castle at night when they're just slightly lit up... not many people passing through. Maybe during fireworks or during Spectromagic when nobody is really staring at us wondering what we're doing. If she suspects something, tell her you're just taking a short-cut to Fantasyland or Liberty Square or something and then stop half-way down the path.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

If she knows it's coming, I recommend doing it either first thing, to get it done and enjoy the vacation and each other without her suspecting every move. Or, do it last thing-- build the anticipation and make her think she had it all wrong. You know her best. Would the anticipation drive her crazy in a good way or would it be better to start on that high note?

Also consider, does she like the drama of a public move or would she rather it was just a moment for the two of you? It really isn't every girl's dream to share her engagement with the whole world. But it is the dream for some. Just make sure you get it right for her.

Best wishes!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the front of castle is going to be refurbished (I know it will be worked on when my family is there Jan 30-Feb 6 - not sure if it will be when you are there).....that being said, if that is your preferred place of proposal, you may want to have a back-up location.

And really like the other posters have said, know your girl...public is not always better...

She will be thrilled!

Congratulations!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Well I proposed to my wife at WDW back in 2005. I did lots of research as to different ways to make it special, so I will go through what I did, maybe it will spark some ideas.

I did the actual proposal during a nighttime horse drawn carriage ride at the POFQ/PORS. I spoke with the carriage driver weeks before hand and asked if they could stop at a secluded location about half-way through the ride. They stopped at a pond that was way away from people, roads, etc. We got out and walked around the pond away from the carriage. I told my wife to close her eyes, and I got down on one knee and proposed.

Following the proposal, we went to dinner. I was surprising her w/ the location of dinner. Dinner was at the California Grill. I had spoken with the reservations folks way far in advance and let them know I was going to be coming from proposing to her. I made the ressie during the time when they would be doing the MK fireworks. You cant request a window seat until you get to the restaurant. So I requested one then. When we got seated, not only did we have a PRIME window seat for fireworks viewing, but they had put mickey confetti on our table and gave us complimentary glasses of champagne to celebrate (good thing she said yes!!)

While all this was going on, I had arrange with the hotel weeks before (we were staying at the POFQ) to place some items in the room while we were out at dinner. They put a bottle of champagne (on ice), balloons, an engraved glass slipper (I had it engraved with our names and the date) and engraved (again engraved w/ names and date) champagne flutes. The glass items and engraving were done through Arribas Brothers at Downtown Disney (they do GREAT work and it is affordable).

Without me asking, Disney also put an autographed (by Mickey and Miney) and personalized letter w/ picture in the room congratulating us on our engagement.

Seems like a lot, and it took a decent amount of work, but Disney will help A LOT.

• If you make ANY dinner reservations, are staying at a WDW hotel, etc. inform the CMs that you will be celebrating an engagement. They will do a lot on their own and will also accomodate as best they can any requests you have.
    • Disney has various "gift" baskets, items, etc. you can buy and have placed in your room while you are out, delivered while at a restaurant, etc. Again just call and ask!
    • Arribas Brothers at DTD does a great job with personlization of hand-blown glass items. They are also relatively affordable. I think they have a website where you can see what they offer.

Of course I should say, before planning any of the POST engagement festivities...best be sure she is going to say yes

Good luck and congratulations!!!!
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the advice, a lot of great ideas. My girlfriend would probably kill me if i did it during a parade or during a show with lots of people around. I think it will be best to do it at the Magic Kingdom on the first day we are there. I like the idea of getting a Photo pass castmember to capture pictures of the whole event(Thanks for that Idea), now i just have to pick out the spot at MK.......The front of the castle is going to be refurbed during that time?????? Anyone have any other locations at MK where we wont have maintence going on in the background of picture...Thanks again everyone.
    May 2009 CSR
    Febuary 2010 CBR
    Next Trip HoneyMoon May 2011

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any suggestions on a place if the front of the castle is being refurbed....unless tou get the photopass photographer to concentrate on the Walt and Mickey statue.

On a side note, I just have to say that you men with all of your great ideas and planning to make the proposal special....are VERY SPECIAL!!!! Thanks for keeping romance alive!
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen any pictures of the scrim up yet in front of the castle so I can't be sure, but I would bet the photographers will be able to take photos without the crane or the scrim in them. Especially at night, I doubt the scrim will even be noticeable since it looks just like the castle wall.

Maybe you could do it on Dumbo. The backside of the castle is very beautiful as well. Not sure if the Photopass people can do that while you are on a ride, but it never hurts to ask

Good luck! I was planning to propose to my DW there as well back in 2000. Unfortunately the ring was burning a hole in my pocket and I couldn't wait the three months until our trip so I did it at Christmas instead
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

The Castle's Rose Garden might still be relatively unaffected by the work done, or it might be closed.

Does she have a favorite ride or land? You could think of something in her favorite area. If pictures weren't an issue, I would suggest maybe the magic carpets (Symbolic. I can show you the world...). Or at the end of Pirates, near the treasure room. Or outside Space Mountain in Tomorrowland. Marriage is a lot like Space Mountain, a wild ride in which you can't see what's coming, but lots of fun and you can get through it together.

Or have you considered the countries in Epcot? On the bridge with the Eiffel Tower in the background? Or near the koi pond in Japan? There are so many possibilities.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    You can do it in front of the castle where Mickey and Walt are. Talk with the camera guy at first. Tell him what you are doing so he can kind of play along. You can have he point to the ground like you dropped something. You can get on your knee, act like you are picking it, and then show her the ring. This way you will have pictures of the entire proposal. This can really be done anywhere, but in this location you have Mickey, Walt, and the Castle.

I would try to come up with one of the most unexpected times to do it. Something and somewhere a bunch of people will witness it.
    This is a great idea!!
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

We sat a table over to a couple at Cinderella's Royal Table. The guy got down on one knee and he had the ring on a glass slipper! The whole place erupted in cheers and tears. It was a really amazing thing to be a part of.

I think if you call ahead to the restaurant, they will help you arrange it!

Best of luck to you both and have a wonderful marraige!!!!
    Polynesian and Wonder 3/14-3/23

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this will be affected by the refurb or not, but my favorite place would be Cinderella's fountain, off to the side of the castle on the walkway to Fantasyland.

Good luck!!
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The castle at the MK sounds wonderful to me.
    One time when we were at WDW we were at
    the Beauty and the Beast show and someone
    went down in front of the stage with his girl
    and asked her to marry him right there. I am
    sure that he must have talked to a cast member
    before hand. I think anywhere at Disney would
    be great as most of us love it all!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congrats to you and your girlfriend. Many
    blessings.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I just LOVED BigRedDad's ideas! What a hoot and vey original!

But if she'd be more comfortable with a more intimate setting, if you can find any place around the castle, that would be nice. Also I've read about the hot air ballon ride at DTD. ? DIfferent! Are you going to Epcot? So many pretty & perfect places for photo op locations there! What about during a boat ride, particularly at night, maybe from the Wilderness Lodge, in time for the viewing of Wishes from the lake? We did this a few years ago, we had just watched the Floating Electrical Pageant at the WL & then boarded the boat to MK & it was a magical viewing of Wishes! Could be very romantic! Good luck & Pixie Dust to you & yours! Please let us know what you do and surprised she was!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Last December, my dd Amy recieved a proposal in front of the castle. It was priceless to see the look on her face! Her dad and I were there.
    The photographer captured it all.
    Dustin just stopped with Amy in front of the castle with a photographer had their picture made and then dropped to one knee--
    Wow, the photographer went into high gear then!
    The next morning we had breakfast ressies at Crystal Palace before the park opened and they had a reinactment photo made with less people in the picture.
    They were married in October and went to WDW on their honeymoon.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: