Quantcast "Lost" Island?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: "Lost" Island?

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Lost" Island?

Well, this is just wierd...

Found: 'Lost' Petition for Disney Attraction
    By Claudine Zap, Y! Buzz | Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 5:38 PM

Could "Lost" become a Disneyland ride?
    ABC/Bob D'AmicoSpoiler alert: "Lost" may find a happy ending after all, at Disneyland.

That is, if some hardcore fans of both the happiest place on earth and the weirdest show on TV have anything to say about it. A petition for a "Lost" island attraction to replace Tom Sawyer Island has gone viral on the Web. It is making the rounds among those feeling a sense of, well, loss, at the idea that their beloved TV show will go dark as of May 2010.

So without word of a "Lost" movie in the works and looking at a grim future minus the completely engrossing world of plane crash victims stranded on a tropical island, fans' last hope is the Big Mouse. After all, Disney is the parent company to the ABC network, which airs the series. So, why not take over the sadly outdated mash-up of Tom Sawyer and Pirates of the Caribbean and imagineer something rabid obsessive lovers of "Lost" would actually appreciate?

The wishful thinkers behind the petition are making it easy for Disney: As the OC Weekly points out, the organizers even suggest components to the ride, including ruins, a smoke monster, Jacob's cabin, and a submarine ride. Clearly, a lot of thought has gone into this plea to let "Lost" live.

It's not a completely crazy idea, either. No offense to the American icon who ruled the Mississippi on a raft, but that's not even retro cool. That's just plain out of date. More puzzling, the Tom Sawyer Island is now shared with Pirate's Lair and, these Disney 2.0 types argue, the whole thing could use a refresh. Maybe Disney would be open to a social-media inspired attraction attached to one of their amazingly successful TV shows.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I could see them doing something like this on Discovery island at WDW, but the logistics of putting a major attraction type thing on an island you have to take a raft to, is a nightmare.
    May 2007 All Star Music
    Oct 2003 All Star Music
    May 2000 Old Key West
    June 1996 Dixie Landings
    May 1987 Offsite
    May 1982 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention that Lost (and I am a big fan) is full of murder, lies, and downright scary stuff. Not really something Walt would do. DL is a park for kids and adults to play together, and this probably would not be a good place for that.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Post Thanks / Like

True, Lost is full of a lot of 'dark' themes. But then again, so is Pirates - pillaging, rifling, looting, burning down a city... there was a time when the pirates were chasing the women so they could 'hoist their colours' on them! That's not very Disney-like either.
    I could see it, but they'd have to get a better way across than a raft. I'm thinking a bridge would have to be built.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    True, Lost is full of a lot of 'dark' themes. But then again, so is Pirates - pillaging, rifling, looting, burning down a city... there was a time when the pirates were chasing the women so they could 'hoist their colours' on them! That's not very Disney-like either.
    I could see it, but they'd have to get a better way across than a raft. I'm thinking a bridge would have to be built.
    Pirates, however, is done in a silly way -- you can't say the same for Lost, nothing silly about it. Even in the POTC movies there is little or no blood, and they are more campy than anything depicting real pirate life. Truly, the worst and most disgusting thing about POTC is the lack of dental hygeine. And "hoisting your colors" means to identify something as your own, like putting your own flag (colors) on the ship you just captured.

Post Thanks / Like

I love and will miss Lost as much as the next guy, but this idea is just....silly. Yuck.

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    I love and will miss Lost as much as the next guy, but this idea is just....silly. Yuck.
    What she said!

Post Thanks / Like

I never saw that show (or had the interest in it). I guess I would be LOST on that island.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard this rumor too, and was excited to see it on Intercot!

In theory this sounds great. I LOVE Lost, and its fans are quite dedicated. In fact, I remember quite a bit of Lost merchandise being sold in the ToT gift shop as well as the one after the Backlot Tour/AFI exhibit. Some of the crossover books were flying off the shelves and we couldn't locate one as a souvenir for a friend before the end of our trip!

That said, I do not think the development of such an attraction would be practical (particularly for the MK). It would be a major renovation/build for a show that is soon coming to a planned close (as other posters have mentioned). I can't really see Lost fitting into the theming of the are either... Not to mention, it would be changing an old school attraction which probably would not go over well.

If there was an appropriate spot in the Studios for this, I could see this idea somewhat coming to fruition. However, I think it would be on a much smaller scale. Maybe a set plus some sort of interactive hatch maze or something of the like. There's no jungle-like area there, so that's out. But, I can't see this something Disney would sink a lot of money into because it just wouldn't make good financial sense. TV shows are tough - I think that's why were rarely see a TV show attraction at theme parks other than the Simpsons for obvious longevity reasons.

It would have been far more prudent for Disney to create some short of attraction or experience during the height of Lost mania - the show has been on for about 5 years with significant breaks in-between season.

But, it is interesting to note that I read that the show's producers have signed the petition! It's fun to think about, but I'd have to venture this will be a "no go"...

It's fun to think about, though!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    In theory this sounds great. I LOVE Lost, and its fans are quite dedicated. In fact, I remember quite a bit of Lost merchandise being sold in the ToT gift shop as well as the one after the Backlot Tour/AFI exhibit. Some of the crossover books were flying off the shelves and we couldn't locate one as a souvenir for a friend before the end of our trip!
    I am a huge Lost fan and was excited about this rumor when I heard it. Is it true they are selling Lost merchandise at WDW? If so where exactly??? What is ToT? First trip in 28 days!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjewelcat View Post
    I am a huge Lost fan and was excited about this rumor when I heard it. Is it true they are selling Lost merchandise at WDW? If so where exactly??? What is ToT? First trip in 28 days!!!
    ToT = Tower of Terror -- they sell LOST merchandise in the gift shop you walk through after the ride.

I am a LOST junkie, for sure. At first, the idea was pretty exciting to me, and I still think it has merit. But, like another poster (or two) said -- the timing is waaaaay off! Also, if the series ends in a really unsatisfying way (hope not!!) all of us fans would be too ticked to go! LOL
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

To me, it also comes down to this -- Lost has a niche audience. It is not necessarily an enduring show on reruns forever (like MASH). In five years it may be long forgotten -- or it could be like Star Trek (but I doubt it). More likely it will be a cult fave like Twin Peaks. If so then in a few years people look at Lost Island and go, "Huh?"

Tom Sawyer -- everyone knows who he is (or should in the US, as it is a defining piece of American literature), and Pirates, well if you go to Disneyland and know nothing about Pirates then you have probably been living in solitary confinement

Disney wants an attraction with wide spread appeal. That's where the money is. No way this would take off without that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I am still getting the lingo down on the message boards.
    TO ALL LOST FANS.... (edited per TOS)
    This is hilarious if you are a fan of the show. If not it may not be so funny.
    Last edited by NotaGeek; 01-10-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: TOS outside link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjewelcat View Post
    I know after the first year of LOST, that there was lots of merchandise for sale in the Tower of Terror gift shop. Of course at that time we didn't buy any. We tried to get the numbers Tshirt a year later......but there was none to be found.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the ToT gift shop is your best bet. In September, I seem to remember seeing a Lost trivia game and maybe a Tshirt.

You may also want to check the AFI gift shop (the end of the Backlot Tour at MGM, excuse me, Hollywood Studios). These items seem to come and go and it's a gamble, but worth checking.

Also for a chuckle, you may want to check out the ABC Commissary quick service also at HS. They have a value meal named after "Lost". I think it's a seafood dish.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    Also for a chuckle, you may want to check out the ABC Commissary quick service also at HS. They have a value meal named after "Lost". I think it's a seafood dish.
    Hmmmm... they should name a fried chicken dish after the place Hurley used to work at. Or maybe since it burned down it should be a blackened chicken dish.

I KNOW, maybe they should combine the old and the new and just rename the island...

James Sawyer Island

ROFL, just kidding

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: