Quantcast POP Century.... pros and cons?? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Got to tell you, not my favorite Value Resort at all..It is newer, but we prefer ASmovies. The food court at Pop is okay, but crowded as PC has 4 floors to their buildings. Also, kind of a funky layout. I got LOST a few times..also stuck down in the 90's section.

Not saying that I wouldn't try it again, but not my favorite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

In previous trips, we've stayed at the Swan and Dolphin because of the teacher discount. We decided to go last spring break when Disney offered the buy four/get three free deal. I started to do research to see where we'd stay after we decided upon a budget.

I decided on Pop and was skeptical because of reading things like "thin walls, you can hear the toilets flush, noisy, etc." I was prepared to not sleep, etc. We paid extra (worth every penny) for a preferred room and got the 60s building, 4th floor on the corner overlooking the Hippy Dippy Pool. I'm VERY HAPPY to report that we never heard a toilet flush (except for our own). The walls are no thinner than a reg. hotel room. I think there are fire codes against thin walled hotels, right? And, we never heard noise from the pool. Ever.

As far as the size of the room...there were three of us: my husband, 18 year old son, and myself. We unpacked, nested our suitcases inside one another and put them under the sink, put our clothes either in the dresser or hung them up and we had plenty of room.

We love Pop and will definitely go back. You can't beat the price. Yes, the walk to the bus after a long day in the parks is longer than the other resorts, but it's very doable.

I hope this helps a bit. Happy Planning!

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I got placed in the 80s/90s area. The other times I was in the 50s, which I liked for location and pool much better. Backside of some of the 50s buildings facing the lake did get a view of some Illuminations fireworks.
    The location is very good to me, as I spend most time at Epcot.
    Food court and gift shop pretty big for a resort. Pizza etc was fine the times I ate there.
    I heard the Icees are gone from the food court though, which hurts me as I used them as mixers in my mug.
    Its also nice to walk along the water.
    Buses did have some long lines at times, the longest to MK. But doable.
    Pop is my pick over Allstars def. Location and its newer. I did hear of a rehab coming also.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofymania View Post
    Can we see the picture of the legendary years please? Just intrested in what it actaully looks like. THANKS
    found the picture

http://i45.tinypic.com/noan82.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

i didnt get a picture of the other buildings off to the side of these, but there is more than one building.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

PROS:
    • Cheap
    • Great QS Food Selection
    • Has it's own buses compared to sharing at other value resorts
    • Everything is slightly newer

CONS:
    • Overly crowded
    • Noisy
    • Tiny rooms
    • Buses take FOREVER at times
    • Service is not helpful
    • Standing room only on most buses
    • Too large of a resort
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess21 View Post
    What view do you get of Epcot? And which section of the 50's building would you need to request to get a view of Epcot?
    When we stayed at POP I requsted 50's top floor facing Epcot. Our room was on the backside wing of the 50's building closest to the lake. During the day you can just make out the top of Spaceship Earth. At night theres a decent view of fireworks from Epcot. The draw back of the location was it was one of the farthest from the main building and food court, and you have a clear view of the closed down construction across the lake. Does anyone know if there are any plans to finish this property. It looks terrible the way it is.
    Mark
    Sheraton World 05/75
    Band trip 01/78
    Sheraton 06/84
    Sheraton 06/87
    Wilson World 06/89
    Comfort Suites 10/89
    Ramada 03/01
    Ramada 04/02
    Ramada 04/03
    Ramada 04/04
    Allstar Movies 06/05
    Vacation Village 06/06
    Pop Century 04/07
    All Star Movies 6/11

Post Thanks / Like

We've stated at ASMu, ASMo twice and POP twice. POP is our favorite.

Pros:
    1. Dedicated bus service - we didn't have to wait long except one time. And then the next day a transportation manager was out front monitoring the bus service (I guess they received complaints)
    2. Clean rooms - great mousekeeping!
    3. Gift Store - we found things here that we couldn't find in The World of Disney (Downtown Disney).
    4. Food Court - we thought better selection and tast than our AS experience.
    5. Management - two trips ago, I son became ill and had to be transported by ambulance to the ER. The manager came to our room, stayed with us until we boarded the ambulance, paid for the ambulance and cab ride back and called the next day offering to send up food/room service.

Cons:
    1. Smoking areas. Our first trip, we stayed in the 50's building facing the bowling pin pool. We had to pass through 2 smoking areas to get to the food court. And, one big smoking area is just to the left of the main entrance to the food court/gift shop. Our family is very sensitive to smoke.
    2. Small beds - 2 doubles, but that is what values offer!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

As far as crowding I think it depends on what time of year you go I have been in OCT & DEC I was there during the first week of December at Pop and the following year I spent the first week of Dec at Sports and I found crowds and noise much worse at Sports but I think its a personal tolerance ie the noise you notice may not be the noise someone else notices. I tend to notice kids being loud and not care I was a teacher however I hate machinery that is loud so when the gardeners come through I can't stand it, you might not be the same.

Crowded yeah kinda. but the resort is the largest value I had a bus driver tell me just the largest but I think that would have been if they completed both sides. I don't tend to notice crowds unless you are right up on me in me personal space type invasion like the parade invasion I have a speical walker that turns into a seat and people think its just dandy cause they can stand real close and see over me ( okay thats a personal vent sorry)

Bus Sorry but it is crowded but I have only waited for more than 15 mins once and that was at DTD not a park.

Thin walls okay yeah I could sya something here but my room at Old Key West was worse for me, we had an exuberent couple next to us

My point still stands it is my favorite resort even over Old Key West, Fort Wilderness Cabins, Beach Club and Sports. But again every is entitiled to their opinion.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Ill be enjoying it two weeks from today. so ill report when back. As i said i like it the best of the values. Not happy about the Icees though. I might have to visit the bar by the pool, dont remember if i visited it before. They used to have Classic Concoctions inside bar that was nice.
    Im going to try for the 50s area
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting how everyone has different views.

For our family, our least-favorite Disney resort is Pop Century. For values, we'll take All-Star Music or Movies any day over Pop.

I've never stayed at a hotel anywhere that was as loud as Pop Century. The walls are paper-thin, and we could hear every word said in the room next door, every toilet flush from the room above us, every word said by everyone walking by our room, and every splash from the pool. Our experience at the All Stars has not been like that.

We only stay on-property, and we would stay at Pop again if it was the only option we had. But since there are many better options, we won't stay there again.

April, 1998 Coronado Springs
    April, 2001 Coronado Springs
    January, 2004 All-Star Sports
    July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
    April, 2006 Pop Century
    December, 2006 All-Star Sports
    March, 2008 All-Star Movies
    April, 2009 All-Star Music
    August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort

Post Thanks / Like

We prefer Movies over Pop, it just works better for us for some reason. Pop is nice, big and bright everywhere. The food court/gift shop set up are better. They designed Pop, using what worked at the other values and made some things better, the main lobby layout, bathroom locations and food court.
    We found the rooms virtually identical to Movies, Sports and Music so no change ther really. Pop Century is actually the 6th largest hotel in the world based on room count and occupancy, so naturally it will appear more crowded. They snuck in a fourth floor, which the All Stars don't have.
    What I found to be the only downside, was that I am so used to staying at All Stars, I would often become disoriented when it came time to drive out, and in. I am very comfortable at All Stars, I can negoriate the roadways much better from there.
    Its a good resort, we just prefer Movies.

Post Thanks / Like

We LOVE Pop!!! As you can see from my signature, I have stayed at many resort categories....but Pop is the place that gives me that WDW feel that I am looking for. Our past trip we upgraded to mod and were not happy. Pop is just fun!!!! We love life and music and people...if you like that you will love Pop. We like to stay in the 60's section right on the first floor.

The best things about Pop are:
    1. Bussing system very organized...the lines and the fact that you do not share busses.
    2.Love their drink refill station...there is plent of room to fill your mug.
    3. Love the food court...just a fun feel!
    4. Theme of the resort is fun!
    5. The resort is well situated around the central lobby area and bus stop.
    6.The best WDW feel to me!!!
    7. The price is right.

Con:

The only two cons I have are:

1. Small Beds
    2.No separation between the bathroom and beds...like a curtain to hide the light.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention one more thing...yes the wall are a bit thin..we bring a sound machine with us. That solves that problem.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

We always stay at POP and love it! The best part about POP is that there is ONE BUS STOP!!! No driving around to different parts of the resort or waiting for a bus that's doing that like at CBR, POR, CS, etc... We love the atmosphere, music, good food court, etc... The rooms and beds are smaller than others, but we don't spend much time in the room except to sleep and relax. We usually stay in the 50's section but have now stayed in the 60's twice and had good room locations. We like the 80's, but it's so far from Classic Hall.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

bumpin since i will be here next week.
    any stays lately? my last stay was in the 80s,90s area but I liked the 50s locations better. And I think Ill try for the 50s again.
    Beverages for the mugs now? no Icees I hear.
    bar at pool? food? would it be better for me to bring some alcohol or have it delivered or buy some in the gift shop?
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Pop We absolutely love it!
    April 6-9 2006 Pop Century
    July 5-11 2007 Pop Century
    September 20-25th 2009 Pop Century
    June10-June 16 2012 Pop Century
    September 5-15 2013 Pop Century Disneymoon
    August 10-20th 2016 Pop Century (Daughter's first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    bumpin since i will be here next week.
    any stays lately? my last stay was in the 80s,90s area but I liked the 50s locations better. And I think Ill try for the 50s again.
    Beverages for the mugs now? no Icees I hear.
    bar at pool? food? would it be better for me to bring some alcohol or have it delivered or buy some in the gift shop?
    I like the 1950s location the best. There is a bar at the pool. There is a food court. Alcohol is expensive at the resort so if there is a way to get it beforehand, you will save money.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member