Quantcast WDW Weather Forecast - January 31-Feb 16, 2010

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Weather Forecast - January 31-Feb 16, 2010

Each day in January, I'll update this first post with the forecast, both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment, which is why I call it "voodooland." If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Updated Sunday pm, January 31, 2010
    We've got a very interesting and challenging forecast ahead this week. Today is staying mostly cloudy, which means the high will end up 58-60. Tomorrow will be 66-68 after a low of 42-44. An isolated shower isn't out of the question, but not too likely. Tuesday is the big question. There will be a low pressure system moving across Florida, but where it goes is still up in the air. Most of the models are taking the system north of Orlando, but it's still possible it comes a little further south. This will be one of those systems determined by 100 miles or less and that's impossible to forecast. We just don't have the tools to handle that kind of microscale details. So, I'm going to tell you to be prepared for thunderstorms on Tuesday, but it is also possible you'll stay completely dry. It's impossible to say for certainty one way or the other. My gut feeling is that WDW won't see much rain, but, again, be prepared just in case. Now, Wednesday through most of Friday will be sunny. 66-68 will be the high on Wednesday with a low 46-48. Thursday will be 73-75 and Friday will be 75-77 with lows around 50 both days. The next front will move in late on Friday. Again, timing is still a little iffy. My current thought is that the storms will move in during the evening and be gone by park opening on Saturday, but that's not 100%. Some of these storms could be severe so stay tuned to the conditions while you're in the park. Saturday's high should be 67-69 with a low 48-50. Sunday will be cooler with a high 58-60 and a low 38-40.

Long range...Total insanity out in voodooland, so ignore everything I'm about to write. Feb 8-9 will be clear with highs in the low to mid 50s and lows in the low 30s. The flow goes more zonal for Feb 10-12 so highs should warm into the mid 60s with lows in the low 40s. A powerful system moves in on Feb 13 with strong thunderstorms. Feb 14 clears out with a high in the mid 50s and a low in the mid 30s. Feb 15-16 warms into the mid to upper 60s as WDW will be in the warm sector of the roller coaster before the next big system arrives on Feb 17. They key here is not the exact dates. The only thing you need to concern yourself with is that the pattern looks very active with the potential for some cold snaps.

Travel Impact
    No major delays at 12:40 pm CST. I don't foresee major issues tomorrow, but the potential exists along the TX coast as well as WA and OR.

Any of you who are nervous about flying, especially related to turbulence, go here and here to learn a lot about turbulence. Those two articles should be very helpful in allowing you to understand turbulence and flight safety when it hits. Hopefully all of this will help you relax and enjoy the trip to WDW more!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks strmchsr!!! I will be checking in as I am going to WDW (a surprise Christmas gift) the last weekend in Jan. I've never been at this time so your weather report will be helpful. Also my DH & DD are flying home to NY on Sun so your travel impact report is helpful too! Thanks!
    ~Allison
    ~~Allison~~ °O°
    Snarky will miss VMK!!!

Happy DVC BWV owner since 1998!!
    PoTC: Rusty Saber, a Proud Seafury!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I do appreciate the forecast of no rain for the next 7 days in Disney as we are heading down there tomorrow morning for our first stay at Kidani Village!!

And I suppose I should be thankful that 58 - 59 degrees is still about 30 degrees warmer than it's been here in Pennsylvania the last few weeks . . . but Holy Moly, what has happened to Florida??

Trip Report and Dining Reviews when I get back! Happy New Year to All!
    DVC Owner since 2005: SSR
    DVC Owner since 2011: AKV

Post Thanks / Like

You know, Chris, I start REALLY getting excited about my trip when I noticed your weather reports are nearing my time there! Thanks for your hard work!

Tab
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBeetle View Post
    but Holy Moly, what has happened to Florida??
    El Nino. Oh, and probably global warming, too. Have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by MushuGrl View Post
    You know, Chris, I start REALLY getting excited about my trip when I noticed your weather reports are nearing my time there! Thanks for your hard work! Tab
    Tab, I know the feeling. Our arrival date is almost out of voodooland now and it always gets me excited. It's one of those special Intercot only milestones. I suppose since I've been doing the forecast for 3 1/2 years now it's becoming a tradition to look for your dates to appear.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

We start the drive from PA on the 15th and plan to arrive in FL on the 17th. The voodooland forecast has me a little nervous for the drive. I'll be watching it obsessively for the next 2 weeks...
    Tam
    12/03-offsite 6/04-offsite
    11/04-FW Campground
    6/05-offsite
    12/05 Magical Gathering!-House rental
    6/06-offsite 10/06-offsite
    1/08-First trip with baby!!
    Universal-11/08 HRH. Added MVMCP and a day at Epcot for my Disney fix!
    1/2010, 11/10-offsite

6/16-Booked at POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rt207 View Post
    We start the drive from PA on the 15th and plan to arrive in FL on the 17th. The voodooland forecast has me a little nervous for the drive. I'll be watching it obsessively for the next 2 weeks...
    As far as driving it doesn't look like too big of a deal right now. The storm system looks far enough south to not be a major snow issue until more like the 19th or 20th. You may just have to deal with rain when you get there, but almost always expect at least 1 rainy day in January.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your work.
    right now my trip is planned for the 25th. hope no snow here in Philadelphia or Allentown to mess that up
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alligirl View Post
    Thanks strmchsr!!! I will be checking in as I am going to WDW (a surprise Christmas gift) the last weekend in Jan. I've never been at this time so your weather report will be helpful. Also my DH & DD are flying home to NY on Sun so your travel impact report is helpful too! Thanks!
    ~Allison
    ditto! we're going down 1/24-1/31 and flying in and out of LGA.

thanks!
    1/07 - POP : 1/08 - POR : 9/08 - POFQ :3/09 - POFQ : 1/10 - POFQ : 9/10 - BWV First Trip Home! : 12/10 - SSR : 1/11 - THV!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
    ditto! we're going down 1/24-1/31 and flying in and out of LGA.

thanks!
    Hey we are also flying out of LGA and going from 1/29-2/2!! Have a great trip!!
    ~~Allison~~ °O°
    Snarky will miss VMK!!!

Happy DVC BWV owner since 1998!!
    PoTC: Rusty Saber, a Proud Seafury!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I hope that storm system for the 18th breaks up I really appreciate your hard work but it is making me very sad Our trip is planned for 16-23. We had a cold front come in on our last trip in Oct 2008. I think it was record lows! I sure hope that can't really happen twice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fanofdisney View Post
    Oh, I hope that storm system for the 18th breaks up I really appreciate your hard work but it is making me very sad
    Well, don't get too worked up just yet. Voodooland can and does change. However, just given the current pattern you need to be prepared for at least 1 day with rain. Not necessarily record lows, but in January in almost always rains every 3-4 days a little. Just grab a poncho and go, though. No need to let it stop you!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris, what's your best guess for the last wk. of Jan.? We're taking my older parents and they don't do really cold. Of course, I don't do hot. At. All. I know it's a long way off, but looking into the crystal ball, what do you see?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BiloxiMom View Post
    Hi Chris, what's your best guess for the last wk. of Jan.? We're taking my older parents and they don't do really cold. Of course, I don't do hot. At. All. I know it's a long way off, but looking into the crystal ball, what do you see?
    As you noted, it's impossible to say right now. However, the current pattern shows no signs of going anywhere through at least the 18th, though it moderates somewhat. If that holds through the end of the month expect highs at or below normal and a rain event every 3-4 days. How much below normal I can't say right now. There's a significant snow cover over the US and more to come, though, which means air coming south doesn't have much time to moderate. It won't be blisteringly cold, but highs in the 50s aren't out of the question. But, if the flow goes a little more zonal neither are highs in the upper 60s.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris. I'll keep watching your posts. I'm hoping for warmish weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's all do our "stay away snow" dance - we're leaving the 20th out of Tennessee, heading down towards southern Mississippi.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MushuGrl View Post
    Let's all do our "stay away snow" dance - we're leaving the 20th out of Tennessee, heading down towards southern Mississippi.
    Right now it looks fine, but we'll see how things look in a few days. The main storm track is staying mostly south of TN for the next 10 days or so.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

We fly out of Philadelphia on 1/20 for our Disney World trip. The current Philadelphia forecast is Buffalo for the next week followed by 10 days of Alaska

The real concern is the long range forecast for Disney World. We need to know how many bathing suits to bring
    1993 Disneyland 1 Day Trip
    2005 Disney World Beach Club
    2006 Disney World Boardwalk
    2007 Disney World Polynesian
    2010 Grand Floridian

Next Trip:
    Currently Being Discussed

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, are the rains in Jan like the rains in Oct? We have been in Oct when the rain came so hard and fast that even a poncho was useless, it was crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fanofdisney View Post
    Chris, are the rains in Jan like the rains in Oct? We have been in Oct when the rain came so hard and fast that even a poncho was useless, it was crazy.
    Usually not. Those rains in October are due to the tropical airmass over Florida. During January it's more of a continental airmass so you get "normal" rains. You can still get some heavy rain from a front moving through, but not like during the summer and early fall.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: