Quantcast Captain EO Returns to Disneyland 2/23/2010! (UPDATE -- dates announced!) - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I briefly considered heading over there after I dropped my kids off at school, but since the park doesn't open until 10am (and I figured there would be a HUGE line), I decided against it. My youngest comes home from preschool at 11:30, and I didn't think I'd have time to see the show and get home on time.

I'll be there tomorrow, definitely. But probably won't see the show unless the line is manageable. 3 year olds are not much for waiting in long lines.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

DS sent me a text from Disneyland this morning stating . . .

Just got out of the first showing. Since the theater had been fitted with environment effects for the HISTA show they used some of those a few times to add dimension. Things like the room shaking or little blasts of air. Other than that, it's the same as I remember. (Note: he was probably about 12 years old when he last saw Captain EO). People were treating it like a concert with plenty of singing along and cheering. Many people were dressed as EO. Obviously a good choice to bring it back. I think 1/3 of the people here at the park are in Tomorrowland. I haven't seen it this empty in years.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting the first hand account Linda!

It is being reported that the missing effects from the old show are: fog, lasers and the starfield.

I wonder why? These don't seem like high dollar, difficult effects.

I am still excited to see the show again!

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    I wonder why? These don't seem like high dollar, difficult effects.
    That's the thing- the average person hears about fog and lasers and thinks it can't be expensive or difficult since I can just go down to a store and buy that for a party, or my high school musical production can put up a fog machine so why can't Disney?

Reality- first, let's look at the fog. It's liquid nitrogen based- advantages are that it quickly dissipates and since nitrogen is 78% of the air we breathe it is non-irritating. However, there are challenges with handling it and generating the quantities necessary for a show (standard LN2 tanks would have to be changed way too frequently for the demands of a theater show).

Laser shows- these aren't just laser pointers. Setting up lasers especially for an in-theater presentation has a lot of regulatory challenges beyond the maintenance and upkeep required (especially in a theater subject to loud music and vibrations that will probably throw off the alignment every day). Because they are high powered lasers, you also need to meet strict FDA regulations that your show complies with 21 CFR 1040 because of the potential health and safety risks of laser exposure (especially if you're utilizing a Class IIIb or IV laser unit and depending on things like clearance distances, etc).

And the starfield? Takes a lot of work and lots of fiber optics to layout (it was my favorite effect because it really defined the show opening and the screen managed to disappear with the star field surrounding the theater)

Post Thanks / Like

The attraction has been added to the Disneyland Website:

Captain EO Attraction Page
    Weird...it's been pulled.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    That's the thing- the average person hears about fog and lasers and thinks it can't be expensive or difficult since I can just go down to a store and buy that for a party, or my high school musical production can put up a fog machine so why can't Disney?
    Thanks again for your insight! That explains it! I figured there must be good reasons. Some other sites members are up in arms, especially about the re-use of the HISTA glasses...REALLY? Thanks Mufasa!

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post

It was there yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like

‘Captain EO’ Returns to Disneyland Park

Classic Attraction Featuring Michael Jackson Now Open

ANAHEIM, Calif. (Feb. 23, 2010) – “Captain EO,” the classic musical spectacular that thrilled Disneyland park guests from 1986-1997, is now open at Disneyland. The attraction’s return to Tomorrowland provides new audiences the opportunity to experience the original 3D production for the very first time, as well as a nostalgic look back for longtime fans wanting to see “The King of Pop” in a rare performance created for the big-screen.

Twenty-three years ago, at the height of his phenomenal entertainment career, Michael Jackson joined forces with Disney, producer George Lucas and director Francis Ford Coppola to create a groundbreaking 17-minute 3D film experience starring Jackson as Captain EO performing two original songs, and featuring Academy Award®-winning actress Anjelica Huston, and a cast of merry, mythical space characters with dual personalities who undergo magical transformations to become Jackson's electronic band in conquering the forces of darkness.

The colorful Disney-created characters include: Hooter, the little green elephant-like creature who sneezes wild musical notes through his flute-like trunk; Fuzzball, the orange-haired space monkey with butterfly wings; the Geex, a golden-haired, two-faced personality with two left feet, one right foot and two shaggy heads named Idy and Ody; Major Domo, whose mirrored silver costume becomes a complete set of drums, and Minor Domo with his sparkling purple torso that turns into an electronic synthesizer played by Hooter.

For all its technology, “Captain EO” is first and foremost a musical spectacular and a thrilling space-fantasy adventure. The realism of the 3D process will once again make it seem that Jackson dances right out of the screen into the theater. While it’s not possible to replicate some of the special effects elements from the original presentation, it will boast a new 70mm print of the film and sound better than ever thanks to acoustical enhancements made to the theater since the film last played there. The total effect is one of motion, color and high energy filled with Jackson’s musical brilliance and various illusions to create an exciting and realistic journey in space for the audience.

During the journey, Captain EO and his merry crew discover a colorless planet where they are confronted by the Supreme Leader (Huston) and her forces of darkness. Using the power of music, dance and light to fill the planet and the theater with all the shades of the rainbow, the EO crew turns the black and white land into a magical world of color and happiness.

“Captain EO” makes use of more famous-name talents than any other film of its length ever produced. The production called on Hollywood’s finest choreographers, set designers, costume creators and special effects artists – all of them excited by the challenge of shooting this kind of imaginative film in three dimensions.

“Captain EO” is presented multiple times daily at Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

It's back.... VERY STRANGE!

Post Thanks / Like

It's back.... VERY STRANGE!
    Seriously? I'm not crazy, am I? Did you see the 'we're sorry' page?

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously? I'm not crazy, am I? Did you see the 'we're sorry' page?
    Yes I did, then checked again a little later and it was there.

SPOOKY!

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the park last night, getting to Disneyland about 7pm. By the time I got off the tram and got inside to the theater there was quite a bit of a line, but not bad at all. The line moved quickly and I was in the theater around 7:30pm.

I'm old enough to remember the original Captain EO run having seen it many times at Disneyland and a few times at WDW. I did miss the effects that have been mentioned. I believe those effects, like all in-theater effects for these type of shows, add quite a bit to the experience. Without these effects, you might as well be going to the mulit-plex at the mall to see a movie.

That said, I did enjoy seeing the movie again. There have been lots of complaints about keeping the Honey I Shrunk the Audience screen that has the left cropped edge at the top. I didn't like that either, but it didn't really take away from the display of the film.

What I really didn't like was the over-use of the Honey I Shrunk the Audience motion base. It was used well in the beginning, but then was over used during much of the show. I guess the thought was it is there, so we might as well use it, and since we didn't put back the other stuff we should give the audience something. This certainly fell into the category, less-is-more. The base was a bit of over-kill.

Also, the film was not as loud as they used to play it. Maybe it was just the particular show I went to, or maybe they've decided not to play as loud. I remember it being almost like a concert before.

What was fun, was that the audience was really, really into the film. It reminded me of when I was younger, and I would go to midnight movies on opening weekend with my friends. Those crowds were always into the film. The same was true last night. Lots of yelling and screaming ... "Michael We Love You", and just overall excitement about the movie being back. The kids who where there all seem to enjoy as much as there parents who were probably kids themselves, when they first saw the film.

Leaving the theater I heard nothing but positive things. I heard one family talking to their kids asking if it was worth the 2 hour drive, and they said yes. Several people got right back in line to squeeze in the last couple of showings before the park closed last night.

For those of us who remember the original run, the show was lacking a lot, but it was still enjoyable. For the many who have never seen the original or were too young to remember they will be happy to see it, and have a good time. It is certainly better than watching the versions on YouTube, and it a refreshing change from the tired old Honey I Shrunk the Audience.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Chris!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like interest hasn't been quite what was imagined though.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like interest hasn't been quite what was imagined though.
    It will be interesting to see how long the shows are popular. At least yesterday it seemed like all the shows were full. People were saying the crowds have been very excited at each show. I also heard that merchandise was selling well too, but I guess time will tell.
    Chris °O°

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pics Chris (2Epcot) took last night. Thanks Chris!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics. We are going for a few hours on Sunday. Can't wait.

What kind of merchandise did they have?
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    Great pics. We are going for a few hours on Sunday. Can't wait.

What kind of merchandise did they have?
    I didn't look at anything in person when I was at the park, but I've seen things posted online.

Captain EO Logo Ladies Tee - $26.95

Captain EO Logo Men's Tee - $24.95

Captain EO Poster Men's Tee- $ 26.95

Captain EO Logo Crew Fleece - $42.95

Captain EO Logo Military Cap - $24.95

Captain EO Logo Beanie Hat - $24.95

Poster - $7.95

Captain EO Logo Button - $3.95

Captain EO Embroidered Nylon Jacket - Coming in early to mid-March!

Merchandise will be available at the following Disneyland® park locations and other select locations:

Emporium on Main Street, U.S.A.

Star Trader in Tomorrowland

Tomorrowlanding in Tomorrowland
    Chris °O°

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    I didn't look at anything in person when I was at the park, but I've seen things posted online.
    Thanks

After I posted I checked on Ebay and there are items listed already. Even a Fuzzball plush. My DD already wants those even though she has never seen Capt. EO.
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

We went on Sunday 2/28, just to see Captain EO. I loved it just as much as I did before. DD loved, loved it. The only thing I didn't care for was how much the seats kept beat during the dance production... just a bit too much. The audience reaction was great. Everyone was clapping at the begining and at the end of the show. The first show I saw was early in the AM so it was not full. The second one was just before noon and it was a packed theater.

I was talking with one of the CM's. I was asking how long it is going to be playing. He said it is scheduled for a 12 week run, since it is a tribute and not an attraction. He also said a lot of people who want to see it during the summer will not book their trips if it is not playing. I don't know where he got his info. Hopefully it will run a while.

DD can't wait to go back this weekend to see it again.
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

Frontline CM rarely if ever have accurate information.

I doubt very seriously if someone would not make vacation plans based on one tribute attraction not running.

I am glad they used the motion floor in the tribute, but I have read many reviews that feel it is overused.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: