Quantcast Old Key West Scheduled for Major Refurbishment - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldkeywest91 View Post
    I,m glad to see all the people that are not going back to OKW.As a day one owner of OKW,I/we visit about 4 times a year and while any house that is 18 years old needs a new coat of paint,many of the complants I hear are from people who don't own but rent.Please don't come back,that well make it much easier for me to get a quicker reservation and earlier check in.If people would start taking more care of the units when they stay and clean up their mess,s before the stains set in and not wait for housekeeping some of these complaints would not be there.Treat it like you own it,I do
    This is not correct.....
    First, i firmly believe that the vast majority (90% or more) use their vacation club...not rent it. So really, to say that it's all "sour grapes renters" who have pointed out the inadequacies of OKW is just not right. Many, if not most who stay at OKW now are staying there because they cannot get one of the "more desirable" locations for a stay. There are tiers in the WDW Vacation club locations now...it's pretty apparent

I do agree that people don't "take care of it"...but after working in WDW resorts...i can tell you that it's because they don't have to...and that's the way almost all hotels are (I would think the Four Seasons may not be subject to this phenomena....but Disney has nothing with clientele on that level)

OKW's rooms and facilities are looking older and run down...that is the truth.

And it a DVC owner's responsibility to point out when things get run down and need a cash infusion. That is what you pay maintenance for....that is how your investment maintains values.

Old Key West is great for a couple of reasons: the fact that it is usually much more low key and less crowded is a big one....Olivia's and the pool area is another.
    But it is not a front line DVC location anymore...it is a backup. As much as i destroy Saratoga (for many reasons....the list is long, but distinguished)...there facilities are better than OKW. Mainly because OKW has the smallest bar on property and their quickservice restaurant is PATHETIC. yeah...pathetic...they don't even serve real key lime pie anymore (prepackaged cups brought in from off property).
    And as far as OKW compared to Beach, Boardwalk, Contemp, Animal Kingdom, or Wilderness.....there is NO comparison

sorry....but it is what it is

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Look guys and gals, please play nice.

It is always good news when a resort is to get a major refurb. We all know there are people who love and hate each of the resorts but its getting a tad repetitive in this topic.

Thank you
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear about the refurb...although, we've never encountered a run down room there...and we've stayed 3 times.

I will say that we always stay in the same building, which is a quite a ways from the main pool, facing the river and right next to the quiet pool. It seems that some feel it's a less desirable location, and hence it doesn't get as much traffic...at least that's what our friends who work there say.

My partner's Aunt did get a bad room once (which can happen at any hotel, regardless of price...we travel a great deal, and have been assigned horrible rooms at even 5 star hotels).

She immediately complained and they moved her to a better one...so, no problem there...just let them know at the front desk...they don't want you to be unhappy.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not".

Dr. Seuss - The Lorax

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't mean to start a riot with my original post....lol. Just like anything there are 2 sides to every story and reviews about anything are always going to be 2 sided. I am going with an open mind and hope our stay will live up to be just as good as all our other trips. Its just a little unsettling to stay at a new resort. We all like our comfort zone and to me, any resort I have stayed in is comfort to me.

Is there a projected start date for the renovations?
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thumperbug View Post
    Is there a projected start date for the renovations?
    According what I read, work will begin around Spring 2010 and run into Spring 2011.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

MY BF and I stay at OKW all the time because we love it.

We always get the same room which is a studio far from the main pool facing a golf course and next to a quiet pool. It has never smelled, had stains or been run down looking. It DOES need a remodel because of it's age, as any of the resorts will when they are as old, but there are many things we love about it.

The bathroom is huge. The balcony is totally secluded from other guests. The room is large.
    The ambiance of the resort is calm and laid back. The quiet pool is big and takes two minutes to walk to from our door.

Another thing we like is that fewer people with kids stay there. We don't have children and enjoy getting away from the noise and hubbub at the end of the day.

I am sorry that some of you have had bad experiences at OKW, but I love it. With the refurbishments I think I will love it even more... as long as they don't go for one of the garish color schemes they have used in some places.
    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Don't suppose they could throw in a new bar/ quickserve facility, huh?
    I wouldn't mind a little expansion to the bar and the CS could use a few more choices. But that being said we really don't eat at the CS and the bar is usually very quiet so in the rare instance we go for a drink there is always room. (I much prefer to have a drink in WS at Epcot! ) Or on my balcony/patio.

Quote Originally Posted by thumperbug View Post
    We are staying at OKW in Feb 2010. We haven't stayed there yet and now I think I'm dreading it. The decor of the resort from pics to me looks like decor from the 80's but we have been meaning to try out all the DVC resorts at least once and this time OKW was it.

Anyone with encouraging words???
    I've got a ton of them! We LOVE OKW!!! The pictures of the rooms are not very flattering. Initially we were a bit worried about the decor but it turned out to be very nice. It is by far our favorite resort. We have four children and stay in a 2BR unit. The resort is beautiful and quiet, a very nice change of pace from the madness of the parks. It fells to us like we are getting two vacations in one. The pool is fabulous and the boat ride to DTD is a great treat. We also think that the bus service is the best we have ever experienced. We NEVER wait in line for a bus! On quite a few of our to and fro bus trips the bus was virtually empty. Olivia's is great and because OKW is so quiet we are always able to get a table even without an ADR. Some nights our plans change and it's refreshing to us to not have to fight a zillion other vacationers from every other resort to get a table for a quick bite. The rooms are much, much larger. So much so that I think we may never venture away from OKW. That is until the children are all grown. The balcony is huge with a big round table with four chairs and a ceiling fan. The kids eat breakfast on the balcony while everyone else gets ready. I find the grounds lovely, the "overgrown" look adds to the privacy IMHO. We had a beautiful unit last year that overlooked a hole on the golf course and was a very short walk to the front of the resort. Don't worry, I hope you love it as much as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by oldkeywest91 View Post
    I,m glad to see all the people that are not going back to OKW. . . Please don't come back,that well make it much easier for me to get a quicker reservation and earlier check in.

I am really looking foward to staying at OKW this year!!! Hopefully we will get lucky and get a refurbished room.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at OKW the first time the end of Jan. 2010. Our room was definitely in need of some remodeling. Everything just looked worn out but refurb was going on while we were there, in our building and next door, no less. The hammering woke us up every morning. We would still go back, but it's not our first choice.
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

Post Thanks / Like

It's our home resort, but we've never stayed there. We had reservations for May, but waitlisted into the Villas at WL.

If they are putting sleeper chairs in the 1BR villas, then we will definitely put it on our list, though. We have three kids, so when we go with kids we've always stayed at POR. We've talked about staying at AKV (which also sleeps five) but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

We've ALWAYS loved OKW. It's our DVC home resort and any kind of rehab is good news. We can't wait to stay there again in May. Love those big studios and 1BRs.

Post Thanks / Like

We finally became DVC members in 2009, but due to "other arrangements" made before the purchase, we spent our first year as DVC members at Saratoga Springs, yuk. Anyway, we finally got to stay at OKW just a couple weeks ago and loved it. The room was clean, with one exception, there was food in the fridge, pizza and donuts. Other than that, paint, carpet and furniture looked good. Love the look of this resort with it's "overgrown" look, very refreshing from the staleness of SS. Only complaint, need a better quick service food court to offset the high cost of Olivias'. Refurb was going on on the section right across the street from us. Maybe we can stay in the newly done area in Dec when we go back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkman View Post
    Refurb was going on on the section right across the street from us. Maybe we can stay in the newly done area in Dec when we go back.
    Do you or anyone else know what parts have been refurbed? My inlaws are going Jan. 2011 and I've requested a 1 BR close to the hospitality house. Will those buildings be done? If they will be working on those then, my FIL will hate the noise. Thanks!

DVC members since 2006....OKW, HH and BWV

Post Thanks / Like

very interesting thanks for the update. with these updates old key west will continue to be at the top of my list of places to stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. Would you happen to know which buildings at Old Key West have already been renovated. We will be staying there for the first time shortly and would like to request a renovated unit. We are staying in a 2 bdrm. unit. Thanks! Any information would be very much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I dont like in the studio is having 2 beds and no sofa. I love having the sofa sleeper it gives you a nice comfy place to sit until you go to sleep. I was hoping that would have changed with the refurb but I guess not. I also love the overgrown look it feels a million mile away from everything.

Post Thanks / Like

This post had me searching for video of the new refurb for our upcoming stay. There is a video on Youtube called The New Disney's Old Key West Resort May 2010. It looks really nice. The video was of a 1BR villa. I'm really excited about the extra chair bed for one of my children. Love it!
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

Post Thanks / Like

That is great news! My family really enjoyed OKW.
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We Love OKW!! I would rather stay here than anywhere else. I am glad they are going through a refurb. I for one will miss the current relaxing decor that I associate with Key West, as outdated as it is. I also am in the odd few that like the overgrown foliage that makes everything seem more private. Can't wait to see what the new rooms look like!!
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Love OKW

I am looking forward to seeing my renovated home. The grand villa that has a huge dining table which we pile with souvenirs and candy from MNSSHP, Never eating a meal on it.
    As for the renovations. YAY! I hope the suites see the changes first.

And as much as I am there as a DVC member, and hit the pools and eat at Olivias. If I am in the room, it must mean the parks are closed.

I love OKW!

As for outdated... yes, the carpets need changing, and possibly couches, and beds. But it is better than home
    4.19.02- Baked for the mouse
    2002-Baked at Epcot’s Food and Wine
    11.13.02- Took a Norwalk Virus Disney Cruise
    6.20.04-Married at WDW Wedding Pavilion/ Reception at Boardwalk
    Old Key West:My Home
    "But father...I'm indecent" C.O.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

There are some great pics of the newly renovated rooms on Allears. They look great, and boy-oh-boy am I hoping we get to stay in a reno-ed room when we're there in March. Grand Villa Baby!
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW