Quantcast Old Key West Scheduled for Major Refurbishment

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Old Key West Scheduled for Major Refurbishment

I've read that during the annual meetings Disney announced they'll be undertaking a major refurb of OKW.

Looks like it will be similar to what they did at BWV and should include all new carpets, refinishing the wood flooring, all new blinds and drapes, repainting, all new upholstery on the furniture, the addition of a twin-size sleeper chair in the 1BR and larger units, new granite countertops, all new hardware for the kitchen cabinets and drawers, all new ceiling fans, new lamps in the bedrooms, and the installation of flat panel T.V's to replace the old ones.

Looks like work will begin around Spring 2010 and run into Spring 2011.

Good news ... this will open OKW up as an option for us again, because we would never have stayed there again after seeing what sorry shape the place was in.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This was a long time coming! I am glad- we have stayed there a few times and it is a nice resort. Very spacious. But it seemed a little run down interior wise. Thanks for the info!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Good news ... this will open OKW up as an option for us again, because we would never have stayed there again after seeing what sorry shape the place was in.
    I hear ya. The musty smell was horrible the last 2 times we stayed. We would be hard pressed to stay there again until the refurb.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Sounds awesome!! Maybe by the time we're ready to stay there, they'll be done!! That'd be awesome!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Great news! Looking forward to our next visit, possibly in fall of 2010.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Post Thanks / Like

I am very glad to hear this news. Like Ian, I was very unimpressed with Old Key West when I stayed there. Of all the DVC resorts I have stayed at to date (SSR, OKW, WL, BCV) OKW is the only one we would not consider booking for another trip. The interior refurbishment helps, but I would like if the landscaping was better maintained as well. I felt like I was in the jungle navigating the tree overhangs in the pathways!
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    IThe interior refurbishment helps, but I would like if the landscaping was better maintained as well. I felt like I was in the jungle navigating the tree overhangs in the pathways!
    It's funny you mention this, Christine, because when we stayed there I actually commented at one point, "You know the landscaping here looks like it's trying to be lush and tropical, but it just comes off as being unkempt and overgrown looking."
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Key West Scheduled for Major Refurbishment

Thanks for the news Ian. Good move for OKW. I look forward to seeing the renovations.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Very good news....

Don't suppose they could throw in a new bar/ quickserve facility, huh?

probably asking too much

Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed there nor have I ever visited either, but I am glad to hear they are using the Annual Dues money appropriately and fixing the place up, from other reports it sounds like it has been long time coming.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    I've never stayed there nor have I ever visited either, but I am glad to hear they are using the Annual Dues money appropriately and fixing the place up, from other reports it sounds like it has been long time coming.
    all hotels look like a dump after too long...including the pixie dust palaces...

the best was beach club...i believe they finally refurbished everything...but that place looked like a dump for a long time....at least the interior hallways and rooms did

Post Thanks / Like

This is great news. OKW is our Home Resort and I will say it does need a refurbishment. We will be there in the fall in 2010 so we will see how the work is progressing.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree that OKW is in need of some refurbishing, I really do take exception to some of the comments that would make you think it is only a notch above a Motel 6.

While flat-panel TVs would be nice, since they got rid of the channel showing the old cartoons TV viewing at WDW is pretty lousy no matter how good the TV set you are watching it on is.

My biggest complaint would be that the carpeting should have been replaced years ago, some of the patching could have been done neater and I definitely agree with a previous poster that the grounds could be maintained a lot better.

Everyone has their favorite resorts and that's fine with me. I wouldn't willingly stay at BCV or BWV.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

We are staying at OKW in Feb 2010. We haven't stayed there yet and now I think I'm dreading it. The decor of the resort from pics to me looks like decor from the 80's but we have been meaning to try out all the DVC resorts at least once and this time OKW was it.

I already tried to get our ressie moved to another resort but all the other DVC only had 1 night here or there during our trip and I'm not up for moving around. We really just do breakfast in our room and shower/sleep. Hopefully our villa won't be in too shabby shape. If it is...or smells....etc I will say something and make them move us. We are pretty easy going and don't usually get worked up over little things wrong with a room but I can't put up with bad smells that febreeze can't get away or bad patch jobs. If our villa looks like it is being held together with duct tape and pixis dust...I am not going to be happy. I know resorts need renovations now and then. I am just hoping OKW hasn't gotton too bad.

Anyone with encouraging words???
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    While I agree that OKW is in need of some refurbishing, I really do take exception to some of the comments that would make you think it is only a notch above a Motel 6.
    This is EXACTLY what I was thinking while reading this post. We've stayed at OKW twice in the past year, and terms like 'dump', 'smelly', and 'horrible' just don't make any sense from our experience. Can the place use an update? Absolutely. The rooms go through a lot of wear and tear. But it's still a place I look forward to staying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    This is EXACTLY what I was thinking while reading this post. We've stayed at OKW twice in the past year, and terms like 'dump', 'smelly', and 'horrible' just don't make any sense from our experience. Can the place use an update? Absolutely. The rooms go through a lot of wear and tear. But it's still a place I look forward to staying.
    There are some folks on here who would complain about the color of their money... Don't let them get to you. I don't understand the glee some folks on here take in bashing DVC, the food, the attractions, etc. Makes you wonder why they even continue to go to WDW... I think they think of themselves as forum "watchdogs" to ensure that the rest of us don't get too excited nor look too forward to our getaways.

As OKW is the oldest DVC property, it IS fair to see it's in need of some modernization. But I'd hardly call it a dump. That's misleading at best, inflammatory and categorically untrue. It also shows just plain lack of sensitivity and respect towards those who enjoy going there. So much for our friendly community...
    Mike in KC

DVC Members since 5/01 (VB) & added SSR (8/04).

Been to WDW ~20 times. First DCL cruise in 2/08 (Western)

Recent Trips:
    SSR Treehouse Villas & DCL Wonder 3/10
    BLT/Florida Keys/AKLV 7/11

Upcoming trips:
    VB & VWL 7/12
    OKW 12/12 - 1/13
    VB/DCL Fantasy Eastern/AKLV 6/13

lockedoutlogic Guest

Okay...guess i'll clarify (the sensitivity to anonymous comments sometimes baffles me...but whatever)

I'm just stating a characteristic of the hotel industry...."dump" in this case (to me) means "in need of major or complete renovation/refurbishment/ replacement"

in no way is old key west a motel 6...i usually stay there at least once a year.

But the reality is that just because it says "Disney's" on the sign out front...doesn't mean that their hotels aren't subjected to the same conditions that rack hotels everywhere else on earth...and that is that they are beaten into the ground by the patrons.

Why? because that is the nature of the beast. shoes aren't removed, grape juice isn't steam cleaned outta the carpet, garbage is allowed to stack up, lawns and pathways are ripped up, fixtures and amenities are treated extremely roughly, kids go wild on vacation (some adults too)

Disney actually goes quite awhile - by today's standards - before they do major strips and redos of their rooms (in particular)

You have just probably heard how the holiday inn chains have done complete refurbs of most of their locations...and made a point of telling you about it. Marriot and Starwood have done so recently as well...and made a point of telling you about it.

Disney...on the other hand....sometimes goes 5,10+ years between major strips....and that is along time considering how the business has evolved and type of clientele they have - meaning kids, kids, and more kids....much higher than any other hotels you may find in almost any other place on earth

So there it is.....it's good that OKW is getting it's treatment....it needs it....and currently it looks a step below most...if not all...the other disney run resorts.

And no company uses "standards" more than TWDC....so i'm holding them to it....their fault...not mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinksDH View Post
    There are some folks on here who would complain about the color of their money... Don't let them get to you. I don't understand the glee some folks on here take in bashing DVC, the food, the attractions, etc. Makes you wonder why they even continue to go to WDW... I think they think of themselves as forum "watchdogs" to ensure that the rest of us don't get too excited nor look too forward to our getaways.

As OKW is the oldest DVC property, it IS fair to see it's in need of some modernization. But I'd hardly call it a dump. That's misleading at best, inflammatory and categorically untrue. It also shows just plain lack of sensitivity and respect towards those who enjoy going there. So much for our friendly community...

But Mike, that is your opinion as much as those of us who were not pleased with OKW. I purposefully did not post a review from my trip there in October 2008 as I knew some would be annoyed at the negative review. I can usually post both good and bad about any component of a WDW trip, but OKW did not meet my standard for hotels, which does not change if I am at WDW or anywhere else. I have not had issues with the rooms or outdoor upkeep at any other DVC resort, and said as such. I will not gloss over the bad stuff.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Default oldkeywest

I,m glad to see all the people that are not going back to OKW.As a day one owner of OKW,I/we visit about 4 times a year and while any house that is 18 years old needs a new coat of paint,many of the complants I hear are from people who don't own but rent.Please don't come back,that well make it much easier for me to get a quicker reservation and earlier check in.If people would start taking more care of the units when they stay and clean up their mess,s before the stains set in and not wait for housekeeping some of these complaints would not be there.Treat it like you own it,I do

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm sorry, but it's very hard not to compare DVC resorts and, in my opinion, Old Key West comes up short in that comparison.

I don't think I ever called it a dump nor did I imply that it was no better than a Motel 6. All I (and others) have said was that it was showing its age and needed a refurb.

Which, frankly, is the truth. It's not to say the resort itself isn't nice ... it definitely is. It's just the oldest DVC property and it's time for some TLC.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: