Quantcast WDW Weather Forecast - December 31, 2009 - Jan 16, 2010

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Weather Forecast - December 31, 2009 - Jan 16, 2010

Each day in December, I'll update this first post with the forecast, both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment, which is why I call it "voodooland." If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Updated Thursday pm, December 31, 2009
    The last day of 2009 looks pretty nice. The high should around 77 with a slight chance of light showers moving in late tonight. Shouldn't interfere with the New Year's celebrations, though. On an interesting note, tonight will be the first Blue Moon in 2 1/2 years (2 full moons in 1 month) and the first New Year's Eve Blue Moon in 20 years. Tomorrow will have some scattered showers with a high 64-66. The showers could be hit and miss so just keep a poncho handy. Things will turn much cooler once the front passes, though. The trend in the long range is for cold weather to stick around through the middle of January. And that trend is clearly supported in the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) projections. Saturday through Wednesday looks dry. The models are saying a high around 60 each day, but I still think the models aren't taking into account how little the air will moderate due to the snow pack, so I'm thinking Saturday through Wednesday the high will be closer to 55-57 with a low 31-33. The north wind will also be fairly brisk each day so wind chills may be in the 40s during the day and even 20s at night or early morning. On Thursday a new Gulf low will move over Florida bringing showers and a high 62-64.

Long range...Light showers may linger into Jan 8 with a high 64-66. It's possible (not saying it will happen) that the showers could change to light snow flurries before they end, but this is still voodoo. Just saying the players are there for that to happen. Jan 9-12 then looks clear with highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 40s. A front moves in during the evening of the 12th, so most of the 13th also looks clear with a high back around 60. The 14th looks nice with a high in the mid 60s before a really powerful Gulf low hits on the 15th. If that comes about (and this is WAY into voodooland) the 15th could be a really nasty, stormy day with significant severe weather. We'll see. That will probably chance by tomorrow. Jan 16 looks clear with a high in the low 60s and a low in the low 40s.

Travel Impact
    At 11:15 am CST, Atlanta and Charlotte are looking at delays due to low ceilings and all 3 NYC airports are facing significant snow/ice delays. For tomorrow, lake effect snows could cause problems around MI, PA, NY, and WV as well as more issues across all of New England. Also, the Pacific Northwest could have some delay issues.

Any of you who are nervous about flying, especially related to turbulence, go here and here to learn a lot about turbulence. Those two articles should be very helpful in allowing you to understand turbulence and flight safety when it hits. Hopefully all of this will help you relax and enjoy the trip to WDW more!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this is probably impossible to answer but I've been on pins and needles wondering. We're headed down Dec 17-24. I've been to florida twice at this time of year (dec 26-jan1, 1998/99; and dec 19-24, 2003). Both were absurdly cold (winter coats and gloves weather). My in-laws claim that they've always had really great weather when visiting relatives in Ft. Myers at Christmas and are planning to pack swimsuits and shorts.

I know anything goes in Dec and I'm packing for a wide range of weather, but do you know if this year is supposed to be colder than average, "average" or warmer than average? (and what average might be???) I looked up like 10 years of historical weather temps and it does appear that I had really bad luck with my past two trips, but thought I would ask you anyways!
    Poly: Mar90, Jul91, Mar95, Dec98, Jul00 (future DH 1st trip!)
    WL: Oct02 (Honeymoon), Dec03, Feb07, Mar09 (DS 1st trip!)
    CSR: Oct05
    BWI: Sep08
    Other trips: Apr94,96 offsite, Aug99 Dolphin, May07 DL

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Apr10 Poly (20th WDW "Anniversary")

Post Thanks / Like

As you said, December is a tough one. Looking at the overall pattern, though, it looks like it could be a roller coaster for you. Temps at or slightly above normal when you arrive (avg high for that part of Dec is 74) but I'm sure you'll have a cold front with at least one rainy day and cooler temps before you leave. Today got your arrival date included in the forecast, so over the next 3-4 days I'll start to see better what the pattern will be, but, in general El Nino years are slighter warmer and wetter than normal. The first part of December definitely seems to fit that pattern.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris! I'll keep watching your post with anticipation1

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that long range outlook to be spot on. December 17-18 I need nice warm days!

Hopefully it holds out for Figment too!
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Just back to the WL for a nap break for my son. Been a pretty wet one so far, but nothing too heavy yet. Hoping to head back out later if the rain gives way any.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gocubs View Post
    Just back to the WL for a nap break for my son. Been a pretty wet one so far, but nothing too heavy yet. Hoping to head back out later if the rain gives way any.
    Unfortunately, the rain is just going to get worse. Maybe an occasional break, but nothing too long term. On the upside, I've been in WDW in this kind of rain before. My DS and I just put on ponchos and were literally able to ride every ride in the MK it was so empty. Hope your trip goes well. It should clear up tomorrow.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I know, I know- this is a voodooland question:

What is DW looking like for mid-January temperature-wise?

It seems like it has been warmer-so far. Maybe I've been cooking my numbers...
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you!

I'm so excited about this post...it's the first I have seen in all the boards I look at. We arrive in 7 days!!! I am so excited because our trip will be just DH and myself and we are celebrating our anniversary with a great stay at WL. This is his first Disney Christmas trip and he is so anxious to see all the great decorations! We live in Indiana and right now it is FREEZING...mid 20's so even 60 degrees sounds great...but when you are on vacation you hope for the best possible weather like 70-80 and sunny. I'll be happy as long as it doesn't rain all day/all week and we have decent weather! The bright side regardless of the weather...we'll be at DISNEY!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneykid@hrt View Post
    What is DW looking like for mid-January temperature-wise?
    I'm wondering that, too, since that's the time frame of our next trip. I'm teaching at a leadership conference for Disney while my family hits the parks. No way to know right now, but the general pattern is a roller coaster. You might see upper 70s and low 60s in the same week. In general, expect rain every 3-4 days, so nothing too bad. I'll get into specifics as we get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by POOH_BEAR View Post
    I'm so excited about this post...it's the first I have seen in all the boards I look at. We arrive in 7 days!!! I'll be happy as long as it doesn't rain all day/all week and we have decent weather!
    I hope you have a wonderful trip! It definitely won't rain all week. Like I posted above, over the course of a week you can probably expect rain one day this time of the year so just take a poncho and go with the flow. You'll have a great time!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

will be watching this thread very close heading down to Disney from Myrtle Beach Dec 17-24 reall want good weather as it will my DD first trip to Disney
    2002 Off Property
    2003 Off Property
    2005 Off Property
    March 2006 Off Property
    June 2006 POP Star Wars Week end
    Dec 2007 All Star Music
    Dec 2009 All Star Movies
    April 2011 Beach Club
    Sept 2013 Port Orleans Resort- Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I knew warmer weather was too much for me to hope for. I hope the models turn out to be wrong and we don't hit the 30s in the run up to Christmas...

I apologize in advance to everyone going dec 17-24, I seem to bring colder weather with me anytime I go to WDW at Christmas.

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the continued updates. I have been checking weather.com also and it lists a 30% chance of rain on several days. I know that at WDW it's best to just take a poncho and enjoy but we are going to MVMCP Sunday 12/13 I just hope it doesn't rain that night especially! We've never been and we are so looking forward to it.
    May 2010 POFQ (Grandson's first Disney visit!!)
    Dec. 2009 WL (DH first Disney Christmas)
    June 2008 BCV
    Dec. 2007 WL
    Oct. 2002 OKW
    1981 Off Site (High School Band performed at MK)
    1978 Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POOH_BEAR View Post
    Thanks for the continued updates. I have been checking weather.com also and it lists a 30% chance of rain on several days.
    Don't put too much stock in the "fill in your zip code" sites like the Weather Channel. No human interaction involved. Just numbers plugged in from one model run. So, that 30% chance on several days is probably not accurate. Even with my forecast, though, I admit beyond 7 days is not trustworthy. Models just aren't accurate enough yet.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates StormChaser! I need the 18th to be perfect for MVMCP. I'll be poping the question that night!
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Unfortunately, the rain is just going to get worse. Maybe an occasional break, but nothing too long term. On the upside, I've been in WDW in this kind of rain before. My DS and I just put on ponchos and were literally able to ride every ride in the MK it was so empty. Hope your trip goes well. It should clear up tomorrow.
    We were in the MK this day, and it was pretty miserable. Weird thing is, it really didn't drive away the crowds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmBo View Post
    Thanks for the updates StormChaser! I need the 18th to be perfect for MVMCP. I'll be poping the question that night!
    Wow! Congrats! I'll be sure to send an extra memo to the Boss for good weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    We were in the MK this day, and it was pretty miserable. Weird thing is, it really didn't drive away the crowds.
    That stinks. If you're going to deal with the rain there should be some benefit.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be in WDW from the 18th to the 23rd. You note it being "stormy all day" on the 19th (I realize its a voodoo weather guess). What are the winter storms like in Florida? Are they like the summer where you'll get an hour of rain and then it blows through, or does it linger all day? My son and husband want to see Avatar...it might be a good time to see a move while its raining.
    Love to hear your thoughts.
    June 29-July 5th-Shades of Green
    Sep 2013-Port Orleans FQ
    Dec 2010 Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 Pop Century
    Sep 2008 POFQ
    Sep 2006 POFQ
    SOG Dec 2006
    April 2002 All Star
    May 1998 SOG
    June 1993 POFQ
    Disneyland-numerous times since 1966 (Last time-Jul 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchWDFun View Post
    What are the winter storms like in Florida? Are they like the summer where you'll get an hour of rain and then it blows through, or does it linger all day?
    No, the winter storms are quite different than the summer storms. In the summer they are just the pop up variety that form along the daily sea breeze. That's why they are fairly short, but intense. In the winter these storms are due to an approaching cold front. As a result, you get longer periods of rain. In general, 3-4 hours with about an hour of really intense thunderstorms. However, some of these systems can move fairly slowly and you get an all day rain. As you said, it's kind of hard to tell right now what this system later this month will be, but you need to count on more than just an hour.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chris - I'm getting really anxious. Trying to start packing and would love to know if I'm looking at lows in the 50s or 30s.... the ominous "flurries aren't out of the question" phrase has me waiting (im)patiently for your next udate that might be more definitive for my 12/17-24 trip!

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: