Quantcast 18 DCL Guests Robbed in Nassau

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation 18 DCL Guests Robbed in Nassau

Unfortunately, eighteen guests were recently robbed at shotgun-point while on a Segway tour in Nassau.

Read the full story here.

Just goes to show that this kind of thing can happen anywhere, even on an idyllic DCL cruise.

Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes, that's terrible! I'm glad that everyone was ok throughout that ordeal. I wonder if this will change the excursions that Disney offers from now on?
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

That is just awful. So thankful that everyone is alive.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd seen this story on message boards I frequent about Atlantis....I didn't know until now that it was a DCL group.

I've had several random thoughts about this:

1) Why would anyone ever go on a eco-tour of Nassau. I visit Atlantis annually, and New Providence Island (home to Nassau) is basically a desert. It's pretty flat and is barely anything more than a sand bar. Which has nothing to do with getting held-up. They should end this tour because it's a useless money-grabbing-tourist-trap that offers nothing of value.

2) There's been a a few tourist-victim crimes in the Nassau area this year, which had been pretty rare on the island for the past 10 years or so. I'm sort-of amused when people are so-shocked that a fairly impoverished population, beaten down by tourism job losses, sees a small spike in crime. Are people not watching their local news, watching the crime that happens in our wealthy backyard every day? And then they're surprised there's a rise in crime in these destinations? Seems naive.

Anyway, these crimes are a shame....but with tourism the only real industry in may cruise-stop towns, I have confidence that the local governments will be addressing the problem effectively....at least in places like the Bahamas or Jamaica with stable governments.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Clarifying the earlier post, not all of the victims were from DCL; it appears some were from Royal Caribbean. And there were 11 other victims from Carnival in an October incident.

Another article here.

Personal opinion - - I am less than impressed with Nassau; our last trip, we stayed on the ship all day. I'd love to see DCL pick a different destination unless and until the authorities in Nassau do something about the crime problem there.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Personal opinion - - I am less than impressed with Nassau; our last trip, we stayed on the ship all day. I'd love to see DCL pick a different destination unless and until the authorities in Nassau do something about the crime problem there.
    To describe a few incidents of crime, when hundreds of thousand of crusiers visit every month, a 'crime problem' is a bit much. If you call that a 'crime problem', what words can you use to describe the level of crime in the Orlando area?

That being said, the people and industry in Nassau see these few incidents as a potential problem, so it's being addressed.

But I agree with your other point: Nassau proper is pretty boring. I don't go into town when I visit Atlantis. There's no reason to leave the resort. And if I were to take a cruise that stopped in Nassau, I'd either visit Atlantis or go on an excursion to something sea focused, like a boat trip to an uninhabited island or the dolphin encounter.
    Last edited by MidnTPK; 12-01-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typos
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

I am less than impressed with Nassau; our last trip, we stayed on the ship all day.
    I would have prefered a second day at Castaway Cay.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MidnTPK View Post
    To describe a few incidents of crime, when hundreds of thousand of crusiers visit every month, a 'crime problem' is a bit much. If you call that a 'crime problem', what words can you use to describe the level of crime in the Orlando area?.
    What I call the level of crime in Orlando is "outrageous and unacceptable", just as I characterize crime in your area, the nation's capitol, also a huge tourist destination.

I also definitely consider the incidents in Nassau as a "crime problem" when men armed with shotguns basically ambush large groups of tourists. At least in Orlando (and probably in Washington), it's most often one-on-one crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    'Nuff said.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

What I call the level of crime in Orlando is "outrageous and unacceptable", just as I characterize crime in your area, the nation's capitol, also a huge tourist destination.
    Using that ratings scale, I'll concede that 'crime problem' could be an appropriate description.

And I didn't use DC as a comparison because I thought that would be unfair piling-on. I have no misconceptions about DC. As I write this I see one of DC- charter high schools....and the two cop cars that are always sitting outside of it. there another today...the truancy/curfew van. And one of the kids I saw today was wearing an old Washington Bullets jersey.

But as perspective, crime in Nassau is relatively minor. These incidents are being addresses at their highest levels of government. Compare that to the recent fatal quadruple cop shooting, and a few tourists being unharmed, but robbed, at gunpoint seems pretty minor. And the general level of crime in Nassau is infinitesimal...non-fatal stabbing or shootings are national news, addressed by the highest level of their government.
    Last edited by MidnTPK; 12-01-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Typo
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10

Post Thanks / Like

We went on a very interesting "government tour" of Nassau when we were there in August.

Even our tour guide admitted that crime in Nassau was really going up. He took us by several houses and pointed out that at one time no one had burglar bars...now they all do.

It's a beautiful place unfortunately it's becoming quite "corrupt". Drug sellers can get away with selling their goods buy selling "fruits and water"...He warned us to be cautious about vendors with "very little" to sell.

It doesn't sound like any amount of "caution" on the account of the tourists could have stopped this attack...but...perhaps if it had happened before the tour should have been cancelled. And whether I see a dessert or not...just being on a segway sounds fun.

I kinda wonder if the cruise lines and the tourists should have a lawsuit against the tour operator for not revealing potential dangers of this sort since it had happened before.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Five cruise lines, including DCL, have now cancelled Segway excursions in Nassau.

Read more here.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post

We went on a DCL 3 night cruise last October. DH, DS and I disembarked to walk around town (DD preferred to stay on the boat with her kids group). I have to say, we did not feel safe at all! We walked around for 30 minutes and then returned to the boat. There was far better things to do on the boat than off.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

I showed DH this last night. He commented that both the Disney ships home country is the Bahama's. So they will be less likely to stop docking there. I had forgotten that.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Southern New Jersey ( only 1024 miles away )
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why when we take a DCL cruise when the ship is docked at NASSAU we stay aboard and enjoy a quiet day..
    1973,76,78,79,81,82 Off Site
    1994,96,97- ASSP
    1996,97- CBR
    1998- DCL-MAGIC (HONEYMOON)
    1999- ASMV
    2004- DCL-WONDER
    2005- CSR
    2002,03,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13, 14 F.W.
    2008-DCL WONDER (Double Dip)
    2010 DCL WONDER
    2013 DCL DREAM
    ș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Next Trip: F.W. December 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Nassau in 2005. There were 8 of us and NO ONE was impressed with Nassau. It was dirty, scary and reminded me of living on Okinawa with the "stealy bars" on all the windows.
    We spent the day at Atlantis which was very nice.
    However taking the water taxi over there and a regular taxi back VERY late at night was very stressful to all of us. The taxi driver took us down some very questionable roads to get back to the ship and when we arrived at the dock we booked it to the ship.
    That is the only place that I have not felt safe walking around.
    I heard other people saying that Freeport was a much better town and the ships should go there instead of Nassau.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Share This Thread On Social Media: