Quantcast How many points do we need?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many points do we need?

We are a day away from a final decision on BLT.
    Everything in the packet of materials we brought home is based on 160 pts. DH says it's possible we may actually need 180 pts down the road (ie, when a grandchild or 2 arrives)
    I'm sure we could find plenty of ways to use the extra points but at least for now that would be more frivolous than vacation planning practical.
    So 3 questions:
    1) If we can afford the extra points does it make sense to go ahead and purchase them now?
    2) Have any of you ever felt that you were really wasting points and, if so, do you think trying to rent points is worth the effort?
    3) How difficult is it to use the points wisely and keep the input/output balanced?
    Thanks in advance for your insights.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many points to buy

We originally bought 160pts at SSR and we are now in the process of trying to purchase additional points through a resale. The only difference is that we're adding on significantly more than 20 points. If all you see yourself needing down the road is an additional 20 points then I would purchase them now if you can afford it. I don't believe Disney will allow you to purhcase only 20 points later on and I've never seen that amount available on the resale market. I think the minimum add on purchase is 50 points. I'm sure someone else on the board can confirm this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMoe View Post
    I don't believe Disney will allow you to purhcase only 20 points later on and I've never seen that amount available on the resale market. I think the minimum add on purchase is 50 points. I'm sure someone else on the board can confirm this.
    The minimum add-on from Disney is 25 points if you pay cash or 50 points if you finance.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

First, really sit down and do the math. We say down and figured out about 10 ways till Sunday if we stay here one year we'll have this many points left over to use the next year and we can do this, or that, and borrow from this year, and do this and if we really needed to we could do this...

You basically want the minimum number of points to stay. I always say round up on accomodations however.

You may say, well, we will in a standard view studio, however like at the beach club, we found those room are EXTRMEMLY limited compared to the others, so at least a preferred studio was always necessary and sometimes even a one bedroom.

Make sure you take those unexpecteds into account.

What we ended up with was a very odd number at the Boardwalk which suited us very well for a number of years. We never lost a point and never needed to try to figure out how we were going to do it. Quite honestly, for a few years, if we didn't have DVC we wouldn't have been able to take a vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    First, really sit down and do the math. We say down and figured out about 10 ways till Sunday if we stay here one year we'll have this many points left over to use the next year and we can do this, or that, and borrow from this year, and do this and if we really needed to we could do this...

You basically want the minimum number of points to stay. I always say round up on accomodations however.

You may say, well, we will in a standard view studio, however like at the beach club, we found those room are EXTRMEMLY limited compared to the others, so at least a preferred studio was always necessary and sometimes even a one bedroom.

Make sure you take those unexpecteds into account.

What we ended up with was a very odd number at the Boardwalk which suited us very well for a number of years. We never lost a point and never needed to try to figure out how we were going to do it. Quite honestly, for a few years, if we didn't have DVC we wouldn't have been able to take a vacation.
    I agree with what you say, be realistic about what you want. For example I know that when I buy most or all of my vacations will include my DD and future hubby. We can make due with a 1 bedroom but will want a 2 br. So I looked at the points required for a 2 br at OKW. I know if I go by myself 1 year I can roll the points over into the next year and we can stay someplace nicer. But this way we will have enough points to play around with. I really like the banking and borrowing option, as it will allow us to try different resorts/rooms and make each vacation different.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with more. Everyone always says I wish I would have joined sooner and I wish I would have bought more points. There are plenty of ways to use them. Also the prices increase and keep in mind, if you wish to add on later through Disney there usually aren't any incentives/discounts for add ons unless it's over 100 points.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: