Quantcast Our tragic trip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our tragic trip

Ransom Guest

Default Our tragic trip

Our trip from Oct 11-24th was just tragedy after tragedy. Disney failed miserably!

First, we checked in to VWL and were given a HA room. There's practically no closet space in those rooms. Totally unacceptable! But the front desk said that was all they had, so we started our vacation on a sour note. Little did we know just how bad it would get!

(The truth is that they asked us if a HA room was OK, and I, not really knowing the difference other than that it had a "roll in" shower, said that was fine with me. Once we got there, we noticed that there was no closet space and very little drawer space. Since we're on-site for two weeks, that wouldn't do! We'd be living out of suitcases. A call to the front desk revealed they had no other rooms available at that time, but they offered to give us the first one that came along if we'd come back to the front desk. But I'd already called Bell Services to bring our bags to the room, so we had to wait a few minutes for them to arrive...at which time I doubled my usual tip and apologized to the bell services person for the unnecessary trip, since we would be changing rooms. He then offered to call the front desk, and luckily they found a room for us to get into immediately. So no tragedy at all; just an ignorant decision on my part whose consequences were handled smoothly by the cast members.)

That night, we tried to sleep. We'd only had a few hours' sleep the night before, so were really tired. But we couldn't go to sleep, because every ten minutes or so, the refrigerator would cycle and make a knocking noise! It sounded much like someone was knocking on the door, and took us a minute to figure out what it really was. Wouldn't you know we'd get the room with the broken refrigerator! And it took them three days to fix it! Totally unacceptable!

(Actually, we just lived with it until Wednesday morning, when we were going to the water park. Since those parks open at 10 AM, we felt we had plenty of time to call maintenance and see what they could do. After I called them, I walked over to Roaring Fork to get breakfast and bring it back to the room for DW and I to share. By the time I'd returned with that nice hot meal, two maintenance guys had come by, fixed it, and were already on their way down the hall!)

On the first Tuesday of our vacation, we ate breakfast at Crystal Palace, lunch at the Plaza, and dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern before going to MNSSHP. In all cases, I used the Tables in Wonderland card I'd purchased at the beginning of the trip last November 11th and had used throughout that two-week trip. I had no problem until we got to LTT. There, the server refused to honor the card! He said that it was expired, even though I bought it on November 11th of last year! What a crock. I was mortified to be called a cheater!

(Actually, the card did have an expiration date of November 11, 2008 marked on it...even though that was the day it was purchased! No one (including me) had ever bothered to look at the expiration date in the twenty or more times I'd used it since then. Of course a quick check with the manager at LTT let it slide. I then went back to the same window at MK's Guest Services where I purchased it and asked what could be done. Turns out the guy who made the keypunch error on my card last year is still working there, and his co-workers took pleasure in pointing the error out to him. He was embarrassed, so I just grinned and congratulated him on his clever joke and pointed out no one had noticed it in all this time. They reissued the card with the correct expiration date, we walked a few paces back to the turnstyle area and got our MNSSHP wrist bands, and we were back in action with minimal fuss.)

On the first Wednesday of our vacation, we went to Blizzard Beach. I bought tickets at the kiosk, but wasn't given a chance to get a DVC discount. They ripped me off!!

(Another dumb move on my part. I don't know why I was thinking you could get the discount at the kiosk. That makes no sense at all. Oh, well. I know it's only a few bucks, but hey, that's enough for a Mickey Treat! I did it right the next week at Typhoon Lagoon and went to the window to buy my ticket. Lesson learned.)

On the second Tuesday of our vacation, we were back at MK. In the afternoon, we were touring Tom Sawyer Island. As we left the escape tunnel at the fort, DW turned to take a picture, stepped in a depression in the path, twisted her ankle, and dropped the camera onto the hard concrete. I can't believe Disney doesn't keep their paths safe and level! The place is practically a death trap.

(Fortunately, DW's ankle was fine...but the camera was not. I put a little work into it at Aunt Polly's Dockside Diner, and was able to get the lens to move again, but the mode dial couldn't be brought back to life. After three years and four trips to WDW, it was time for a new camera. But that's not all bad. Having a newer camera will be good, next time. The only really sad thing is that DW loves taking pictures -- she took 1200 of them during the first week and a half of our trip -- and she couldn't take any for the rest of the trip. We considered getting a new camera overnighted to us (or even buying one of the ones sold at the camera centers), but ultimately decided against it given how few days we had left on our trip at that point (even "overnight" it would have arrived on Thursday since it was later in the day on Tuesday; and the ones in the camera center were overpriced and seemed to be last year's models). In the end, DW enjoyed seeing the park without a camera intervening, so it wasn't all bad after all.)

On Wednesday of our second week, we were at Typhoon Lagoon. After enjoying the slides in the morning, we had a nice lunch at Leaning Palms, then went to the wave pool to see what that was like. We waded out to about the 4' depth mark, and then a wave came. And it ripped DW's favorite scrunchie right out of her hair! We searched and searched for it, but were unable to find it. Needless to say, not one Disney employee lifted a finger to help us!

(It's all true, except we didn't ask for any help in finding it. Strangely, we found two other scrunchies, but not the one DW lost. We didn't realize the scrunchie could be ripped off by a wave when it hadn't even been budged by any of the rides or slides. We won't make that mistake again!)

In short, it was a terrible trip and I'm going to call Guest Relations, Member Satisfaction, and everyone else at WDW that I can think of and let them know about it!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When I read the title of your report, I thought someone died, was hospitalized or was a victim of a crime on your trip. Glad to read that wasn't the case.

Did anything good happen on your trip? Did you enjoy ANYTHING?

The refrigerator was unfortunate. I'm a light sleeper so I can relate. It sounds like it was taken care of promptly after you complained?

When you bought your tickets at the water park, did you say you had the discount card before it was rung up or did you wait until you were told how much it was? Was someone holding a gun to head forcing you to pay or did not realize the error until you were inside and it was too late.

I think the employees have better things to do
    (like making sure people are not drowning) than to look for a a scrunchie in a huge wave pool.When I read that, I thought you had to be kidding.

You're not a "roll with the puches" type of person are you?
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

I loved your trip report - too funny!

It is amazing how so many things get twisted all around, isn't it?
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear you felt so badly about the trip. Hopefully the fun moments left you with some good memories of the trip!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Cute report.....loved reading it!

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't figure out how much sarcasm and how much serious is in that report!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty funny report! Sorry those things happend, but you found light in them..haha
    71-78 Fort Wilderness
    78-07 Various resorts
    Nov 08 Pop Century
    Oct 30-Nov 8-Pop Century(
    28-March6th Port Orleans reschudled trip!
    Oct. 23rd-Oct. 30th POP CENTURY
    May 4-11 2014 Pop Century
    1 in 50 Children will be diagnosed with Autism and I am proud to say one of them is mine!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty funny! Love your sense of humor.

șOșprprincessșOș

WDW-75, 79, 89, 91, 98, 04: Offsite; 01: ASMs & CSR; 02: Dolphin; 03: GF & POR; 06: POFQ & BC; 08: WL; 09: CBR
    DL--97-98: AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Sassy2000

Prior to 2007 off site
    Oct 07 AS Music
    Apr 08 AS Movies
    Dec 08 CSR & POR
    Feb 09 Pop

Nov/Dec 09 CBR &AKL
    May 10 CSR
    Oct 10 Poly!!
    May 11 AS Music
    Oct 11 AKV & BWV
    Feb 12 AKV
    Feb 13 POR Royal Room

Post Thanks / Like

That was a unique trip report!

One version with a "glass half empty" perspective and the other version "glass half full" perspective.

I do hope that at the end of the day, you did have a magical time in spite of some mis-haps along the way.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

That was a VERY funny post! But I think your point will be lost on the unhappy folks you're lampooning!

Thanks for the laugh!
    Kevin

1996 POFQ
    1999 POR
    2001 WL
    2003 WL
    2005 WL
    2006 CR/POFQ
    2007 BC
    2010 WL/BC (Half Marathon)
    2009 Cruise on the Wonder
    2011 WL (Half Marathon)
    2012 BWI (Wine and Dine Half Marathon)

Post Thanks / Like

When I read the title I wasn't sure but the second paragraph in I caught right on. Too funny. Very sarcastic and witty sense of humor.

Ginny

Post Thanks / Like

Loved the report and the twisted sense of humor!! are we related????
    You forgot to lick your plate clean and then tell the server you wanted the food comped because it was terrible and the only reason you finished it was because you were so stressed about the bad food that you overate!
    As for the wave at typhon lagoon taking your DW scrunchie you should be thanking your lucky stars that was all it took.

Our first visit it pulled down my DS's bathings suit and left him standing there in all his glory! Thankfully he was only 4 and 1/2 at the time!
    My DH lost his glasses and my sister had her glasses hooked to the top of her bathing suit and the wave shoved the glassed down inside her suit, Interesting getting them out of the suit
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Interesting report!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

ya..oh so tragic!
    wow..

so which trip report is the real one?
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Ransom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    ya..oh so tragic!
    wow..

so which trip report is the real one?
    The large-text and small-text ones are both true; they're just told from different perspectives. But the small-text version is more my real view of the world (and the World).

But here's my other, more-straightforward TR: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...07#post1978607

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    The large-text and small-text ones are both true; they're just told from different perspectives. But the small-text version is more my real view of the world (and the World).

But here's my other, more-straightforward TR: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...07#post1978607
    thats what i meant which one was real..this one or the one in the other thread?
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Ransom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    thats what i meant which one was real..this one or the one in the other thread?
    Sorry for the confusion.

Both are real! All are actual occurrences on the same trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah!! You got me at first!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved it! I thought it is a very clever trip report.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: