Quantcast Now this is a terrific idea - Magic Kingdom eateries take control of seating - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for guarantee on table space. One less hassle. I appreciate it at local chains.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, do you think they can do something about the seating for parades now??
    10/89 honeymoon off-site
    11/93 off-site last trip pre-child
    12/01 ASMovies first trip for kids
    10/04 POFQ
    02/09 Pop and first cruise on Wonder
    03/10 POFQ trip to see CFHS Tiger Band!
    03/14 VWL to see DD2 and the CFHS Tiger Band!

Post Thanks / Like

I support the idea, but have had 2 experiences with this and they have not been good. I hope they have improved the system better. First, there was no warning or attempt to give an explanation. Our family goes regularly to MK and have planned where we want to eat. We tried to go in our usual door at Cosmic Rays, and we were told we were not allowed to come in but told we had to go to another door, which had only steps and no stroller access. The cast members placed in charge of the entrance line to the restaurants seemed to me to be the most green and inexpererienced at dealing with people. My niece had a sleeping baby in a stroller, was told the stoller could not come in. She was forced to take the baby out of the stroller in order to go inside ( how do you get your food, eat etc while you are holding a 10 month old?) , only to see other people inside with strollers. At Pecos Bills, they were reserving one of the large rooms in case a group came, and there was no where else to sit in the restaurant. We went in that room anyway and the whole time we were there, no group came in. Both times this happened, I did not feel like I was in the "happiest place on earth. It colored my attitude for the rest of the day. My solution is either plan not to eat in the park or get an ADR. Sorry.
    Too numerous visits to count. Resorts stayed at include:

Bay Lake Tower
    Contemporary
    Fort WIlderness
    Beach Club Villas
    Yacht Club
    Board Walk Villas
    Swan
    Dolphin
    Polynesian
    Port Orleans Riverside
    Saratoga Springs
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Wilderness Lodge Villas
    WIlderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) They did this seating deal last year.
    2) It worked well.
    3) Many people complained, but so what?
    4) It stopped people from going in a grabbing a table.
    5) THEN, going for food.
    6) It really is a time saver.
    7) It clears tables quicker, and stops table-hogs.

NOTE: People complained last year that they wanted to grab a table to seat themselves and their kids. I think it is a flabby excuse. Everyone could stay together. This system respects everyone and gives everyone a chance at a table, and not just those hogging tables and chairs with strollers, souvenir bags, etc.

I so agree with this. I can't stand it when we've waited in line for our food and can't find a table. I don't mind a cranky kid in line as long as the parent is doing their parenting.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Let me start off by saying that I have never experienced this dining situation at WDW and with an upcoming trip, I plan to keep an open mind and see how it works.
    But after reading most of the previous posts, a question that popped into my mind; How are the lines to order food? My first impression is that they will be incredibly long duing peak dining hours. Is this true? or has the system been used long enough to adequately control traffic flow?
    Sounds to me like this could be a trade off.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I'm VERY excited about this. I hope it's in effect in 2 days when we're there. I've spent many a lunch eating on the sidewalk or standing up and would love to be guaranteed a table.

Post Thanks / Like

This idea has its pros and cons...I guess I would have to experience it myself in order to see if it would work. When going to places like the mexican cantina in Epcot, my family and I like to sit by the water and eat to watch Illuminations, so if we were seated, we might not get the desired table. But it would be good for places like Flame Tree Barbeque, which had practically no seating when we went last time. The only problem I can see is that, when all of the tables are full, do they turn hungry guests away, or do they wait like a table service restaurant?
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IamBelle View Post
    This idea has its pros and cons...I guess I would have to experience it myself in order to see if it would work. When going to places like the mexican cantina in Epcot, my family and I like to sit by the water and eat to watch Illuminations, so if we were seated, we might not get the desired table. But it would be good for places like Flame Tree Barbeque, which had practically no seating when we went last time. The only problem I can see is that, when all of the tables are full, do they turn hungry guests away, or do they wait like a table service restaurant?
    I've only seen this in action at Pecos Bill and Cosmic Rays. I'm not sure they're doing this with outside seating CS. I'm surprised you couldn't find seating for FTB. It must have been crazy busy that day.

They have the guest wait in line and as they tables clear they allow them in to order.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvdiznee View Post
    I so agree with this. I can't stand it when we've waited in line for our food and can't find a table. I don't mind a cranky kid in line as long as the parent is doing their parenting.
    Which begs the question from me, how is a family of four or more...wait..MANY families of four or more, wandering the crowded seating area looking for a table, gingerly holding trays full of food and trying to avoid getting that tray knocked out of their hands, making the restaraunt less crowded?

Instead of 5 people in the line to order, there are 25 people trying to navigate the crowded cashier area. That makes sense how?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    Which begs the question from me, how is a family of four or more...wait..MANY families of four or more, wandering the crowded seating area looking for a table, gingerly holding trays full of food and trying to avoid getting that tray knocked out of their hands, making the restaraunt less crowded?

Instead of 5 people in the line to order, there are 25 people trying to navigate the crowded cashier area. That makes sense how?
    Based on what I have heard about the process, families are not wandering, looking for a table after getting their food, but are guided to an open table by cast members. A quote from the original Orlando Sentinel article:

"A greeter hands menus and steers the entire group to cash registers to place their orders. After they get their food, they are guided by another employee to an empty table."

As far as the cashier's lanes, I'm sure those are a bit more crowded. But if groups are given the menu ahead of time and are guided to an appropriate cashier's line they are probably more likely to get through the line quickly. I have always found with the "regular" system that there is a lot of confusion, with families getting into line and not deciding what they want to order until they reach the cashier. And with larger parties there is almost always more than one person in line anyway, as one person would have a hard time carrying all the food for a party of four (or even party of three).
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: