Quantcast Now this is a terrific idea - Magic Kingdom eateries take control of seating - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like Disney is just trying to be more efficient for themselves to make more of a profit for themselves. Why do families have to feel rushed to get off their tables when they have paid for a meal at that CS or inconvenienced in line because now after waiting in long lines all day long, their children have to once again wait in a line to order their food. Isn't that the meaning of a CS? You have to pick your own table, someone (not the entire family)has to wait in line to order your food, and you have to bring the food to the table yourself, right? I don't really see how this helps the customer. I think it's just redefining what a CS is to benefit Disney.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First, please remember that there are ALL types of groups visiting Disney parks. Not everyone has a party that can "split up". There are single parents there with very small kids, who would not send their little ones to a table by themselves while they get food. MOST often, I visit Disneyland with my two very young boys by myself. I have no choice BUT to keep them with me while I get food at a CS location.

I'm all for this. There is NOTHING worse than walking around a CS restaurant with a tray of food and hungry kids and not being able to find a single empty table, while dozens of families are sitting at tables, with no food in sight! Drives me crazy! Happens all the time to us at Disneyland, to the point where I have worked it out that if we are going to eat lunch there, we park ourselves outside the restaurant of our choice RIGHT at 11am, just so we can get in immediately, get our food, and pretty much be assured a table. It's the only way. And, I find that unreasonable...

I think what they SHOULD consider doing, rather than forcing entire families to wait in line together, is hand out tickets (or little cards, whatever) to ONE family member as they enter AND get in the food line. Once in the food line, the rest of the party can proceed WITH the ticket to the "seater" or whatever, and go to a table. My point here is that ONLY PEOPLE WITH TICKETS can sit at tables. The ticket is the signal to the CM's that someone in your party is purchasing food. Or, if you are alone, or a small party of two, you would still be handed a ticket upon entry, and once you get your food, you would show your ticket to the "seater" and be taken to a table. You'd basically just leave the ticket on the table while you eat, and toss it on the way out (or hand it to a CM upon exiting, so they can be recycled...whatever).

There is a good way to do this, and I hope they iron out the wrinkles and find a way, because it really would make things flow better.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    and thats also what quick services locations are for..
    you shouldnt be assigned a seat in a quick service..
    you dont see mcdonalds..burger king..taco bell..wendys..etc etc etc..trying to do anything this stupid!
    its fast food..its the way its always worked! at least it has for most common sense people..
    Yeah, I agree. To imply that anyone with kids who wants them to be able to sit down should book table service is a bit ridiculous.

Sometimes I think people tend to forget that it's Disney World. Despite what some believe, it's primarily a place for kids. Making non-kid friendly decisions like this is a bit ridiculous, IMO.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    How is it "hogging" a table (man, I feel stupid even saying that) if I send my wife and kids to hold a spot for us while I wait for food? That's not only common practice it's common sense. Why would I bring my entire family of four into a line, clog things up, have my kids running around knocking people over, etc. when I could just let them sit, rest, and recharge while Dad waits in line?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'd still rather they offer the option of leading the rest of the family to a table first while Dad or Mom waits in line, though.
    I must agree with you- I think the lines run smoother when they aren't full of strollers and are faster when you have your order planned out and aren't letting little Finster get sensory overload looking at 800 options when he hasn't eaten anything but chicken fingers since 2003. 'm all for patrons (not lunch baggers) getting themselves situated while dad acts as hunter/gatherer and provides the fatted combo meal.

2004-Allstar Movie
    2004-Allstar Movie
    2006-Allstar Movie- he proposed!!

2007-Allstar Movie
    2007- Allstar Music
    2008- September, December trip
    2009 June, Novemebr trip

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's very tough to read"
    M Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I like and dislike this idea at the same time. I'm all for making the CS run smoother but it seems like the current plan has to many kinks in it to run smoothly. I wonder if they could have two different sections. 1) traditional free for all. 2)new seated service.

Also to define table hog better. I don't think families that split up while one orders and the others find a table are hogs. The ones who I think are hogs are the ones that stay seated at their table for long after their meals. Especially during busy times...If my family is done with our meal we are going to get up to allow someone else to sit...its just common courtesy.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    Also to define table hog better. I don't think families that split up while one orders and the others find a table are hogs. The ones who I think are hogs are the ones that stay seated at their table for long after their meals. Especially during busy times...If my family is done with our meal we are going to get up to allow someone else to sit...its just common courtesy.
    I don't disagree, but this new system doesn't solve that problem.

You'll never solve the fact that 50% of the world's population are self-centered morons.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

We tried the self service ordering at Pecos Bill's, it was confusing and we gave up & went to one of the cm's to order (we are both very techie so I am not sure what the problem was). I am willing to let them work out the kinks, and open-minded enough to hope for the best. The arrangement almost sounds like what they do at Fresh Choice and some of the other buffet type restaurants here in our area.
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

I saw them trialling this last year but without the guaranteed table. I can see the point of people who have children etc who want to sit down. I have also been in the situation where there are long lines and when I get my food I can't find a table because they are full of people waiting for someone getting the food.

My understanding is that this system is only for part of the restaurant. If they can get it working properly, and it remains only for part of the restaurant so groups can get their tables in the other part, then it may benefit some guests as well as Disney.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    I wonder if they could have two different sections. 1) traditional free for all. 2)new seated service.
    Although it would not solve all of the cons of this new approach, I agree that this would be a big plus that could make both camps happy. There are too many instances where herding an entire group through the cash register line is simply too much. I feel sorry for folks with wheelchairs and strollers trying to navigate exhausted kids through the registers.

Just another example of "What were they thinking? Like Ian said, Disney can't solve the 50% rule...
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

I think this may be a good idea. When we were there last year October we used a self service book at Pecos Bills and at another one but cannot remember. We were on the dining plan. It just so happened that our first CS of the trip was Pecos Bills and a CM was training people how to use it...so he showed us. It was very simple...even my mom(who can;t even turn on a computer ) did it.

We liked it!!
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

I have children and there was nothing worse then having a tray full of food and not being able to sit because other families who did not have their food were taking up tables. You get your food and then get your table when you are done. Hogging tables is not right. If I am able to take my girls on line with me I don't know why others can't. This new process puts everyone on an equal playing field. I agree with it and I hope it is successful. First in/first out. If you don't want to take your kids with you to get food then you can wait until whoever gets the food buys it and then find a table.

Just this past June we were in Epcot and we all went to get our food. We went for a table and this woman who did not have her food ran past me to get the table almost knocking over my sister-in-law who has to walk with a cane. RUDE! The CM there was very nice and helped us find another table. We were almost done eating before this woman's teenage son came to the table with food.

So I totally applaud Disney for trying to set things right!
    Princess 1 - 19yo
    Princess 2 - 12 yo (my baby is growing up)
    Poor Dad is out numbered! Even our dog is a female!
    Missing my happy place so much.

6/09,8/07,2/02,11/99 - Poly
    prev trips - Dixie Landings & CR
    Read my trip report for August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prttynpnk View Post
    I must agree with you- I think the lines run smoother when they aren't full of strollers and are faster when you have your order planned out and aren't letting little Finster get sensory overload looking at 800 options when he hasn't eaten anything but chicken fingers since 2003.
    Little Finster! Love it!

I agree that something has to be changed at the counter service places. I hate getting my food and then wandering the place looking for someplace to sit.

There ought to be a "staging area" where folks can pore over the menu and decide what "Finster and company" are going to eat BEFORE they get in line.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

But how do you "plan properly" at counter service? Aside from getting there right when it opens, or eating lunch at 3:30? I am curious because I truly do not know.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, it's good planning when the party can split up. It becomes hogging when you are the one wandering the restaurant either alone or with a small child and can't find anywhere to sit. Imagine a scenario whereby you are alone at the park with one of YOUR young kids...your plan goes out the window. This is the reality for many folks daily at WDW...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    But how do you "plan properly" at counter service? Aside from getting there right when it opens, or eating lunch at 3:30? I am curious because I truly do not know.
    Easy ... you send someone to find a table while you wait in line. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.

Now sitting at your table and taking up space you don't need after you're finished ... that's a different story.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Ian, it's good planning when the party can split up. It becomes hogging when you are the one wandering the restaurant either alone or with a small child and can't find anywhere to sit. Imagine a scenario whereby you are alone at the park with one of YOUR young kids...your plan goes out the window. This is the reality for many folks daily at WDW...
    Then you wait for a table to open up.

That's the breaks ... you can't expect people to traipse the entire family through a line just because there are some people there alone? That's beyond a reasonable expectation, if you ask me.

You chose to visit the parks either alone or with a child ... why should everyone else have to make accomodations to fit your decision?
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

This does not make it convenient for families with young children, strollers, children and or adults with disabilities etc.
    What counter services outside of Disney World do you know has appointed seating? The whole point of counter service is you serve yourself even picking your own table.
    If you aren't eating the food purchased from that establishment or you are finished eating you can and should be asked to leave. (no table hogs)
    I think that families can and should be able to pick there table first and then go and order the food if that is what they want to do. Its not like they aren't spending their money there or are not eating the food from there....You are paying to serve yourself and eat....
    of course Disney sees this from a money stand point. I totally understand this. They want to make the most out of their seating areas. It will get more people to eat at that particular place instead of walking out without purchasing food.
    I know from my hubby's point of view this new thing will not go over well if there are 3 tables by a window open and they tell us that we cannot sit there because we have a stroller (or don't have one)...that will not go over well for him. Who wants to be told where you can and can't sit when you are eating at a counter service? Thats what table services are for.
    It seems menial in comparison with other things that they can be improving on for the guests experience.
    But then again I don't think they are doing it to improve the guests experience. They are doing it for revenue. (which they are a company based on rev so I understand that) I just don't agree on it from a guests point of view.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

That's the breaks ... you can't expect people to traipse the entire family through a line just because there are some people there alone? That's beyond a reasonable expectation, if you ask me.

You chose to visit the parks either alone or with a child ... why should everyone else have to make accomodations to fit your decision?
    You know, I don't always agree with your views on things Ian but on this one I do.

In fact, the last two times we visited, the kids and I (one time 9 and 4 and the next 10 and 4) were there alone....Daddy was getting his own vacation! But I would much rather figure it out on my own than have to be seated in a CS venue. The casualness is part of why we were there. We did just fine...finding tables before and after ordering. There were times when we were ordering enough food (dining plan) that one tray was not enough so it was me and a 9/10 year old finding a table with a tray in hand. Sometines he would take Skye and go ahead for a table, sometimes I would...and sometimes we would all wait together to order.

Why is it that the general public is forced all too often to account for the choices of others? I chose to take my children to Disney World alone. So in that choice there were many other smaller choices to be made...there were things we could not ride (Skye was too little still), there were things I did not feel comfortable doing without Daddy, and yes...where, when and how we ate was another! I never once expected other people to change their vacation so I could have mine...it was my choice to do it...
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I see the good & the bad in this.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Alone or with your entire family, this seems unreasonable. So you are supposed to stand there with 2 or more heavy trays, drinks, and your kids and wait, or circle around looking for 15 minutes? I mean if there is a table to even snag, great, but I've been there when there wasn't.

This is why we mostly skip counter service entirely. The time we ate at Pizzafari all of us were there. I got the food with one kid while my husband took the other kid to look for a table. Nothing. Then, we took the kids and our trays and circled the restaurant 3 times. There was one table, but it only had one chair since another party took the rest. We ended up sitting outside on the curb and ate in the park walkway because even the benches were full. So yeah, I'll save the aggrevation and spend the money to be seated at a TS.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: