Quantcast POFQ or PO Riveride?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default POFQ or PO Riveride?

We are thinking about staying at a moderate hotel again for our Nov. 2010 trip (we booked the movies already, but want to change), we have stayed at all the moderates except the Port Orleans.. either side. We live in NOLA and are nervous about staying in a hotel that reminds us so much of home, BUT the pictures are great.. I really love the ones on the French Quarter side (very Mardi Gras)

My question is.. if you had to pick a side, which would it be??

We will be traveling with our 9 yr old, so I am also looking for something kid friendly.

Thanks in advance for any info
    Nov 04~Pop
    Nov 06~CS
    Nov 08~CB
    Nov 10~Movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't stayed at either side. I am planning to stay at the French Quarter. It is smaller and easier for me to get around. Have fun planning
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We will be staying in the FQ this nov/dec.

I have previosly stayed at riverside.

Both are nice resorts, riverside is more spread out, with more pools and more dinning options.

FQ is one of the smaller resorts, in both rooms and apparent footprint. It only has 1 dinning option.

Which is right for you? That depends on a lot of factors. I would think- depending on your resort dinning preferances, how much you are willing to walk (or if you had a car), how the pools will affect your stay- that in either case you could not go wrong...

In my case my DW is recovering from a knee injury. The shorter walks are important this trip. We would only use the resort dinning for breakfast or a snack. FQ made more sense.

Post Thanks / Like

If you love the look of POFQ, give it a shot. There are things that might remind you of home, but you'll probably still feel like you're on vacation at WDW. POR is lovely, too, but I wouldn't let the theme of POFQ hold you back.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

After another trip back to POR last week, I would not stay again. POFQ is much smaller and quieter. POR is just too big and the staff is not what it used to be. My vote would be FQ.
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Loved the FQ. It was a nice compact resort. Very easy to navigate and get around in.

The POR is also nice, but HUGE! It has 3 or 4 bus stops, which can be annoying, where the FQ only has central one!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at POFQ for our last two trips and absolutely love it there. It's small and easy to get around compared to POR which is very spread out. Bus service is good, with the only drawback being that some buses go over and pick up more people at POR when not full. But on the way back from the parks POFQ is the first stop. The pool is great and the CS restaurant has alot of good food options. The beignets for breakfast are intoxicating.
    DizneyDoug
    Dolphin-July 2012
    Poly-June 2010
    POFQ-July 2008
    POFQ-May 2006
    ASM-Dec 2004
    Offsite-Dec 2003, Mar 2002
    New Years Eve 1999!!

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at both and I would suggest if you are planning to spend most of the time at the parks, POFQ is best. POFQ is smaller so less walking back to the room after a long day at the parks. Also the buses generally pick up at POFQ first (that way you can get a seat) and drop off first (first off the bus).

If your plan on having "Resort Time", POR would be best. POR has bigger pool (several pools), fishing, boat rental area, bigger arcade, bigger playground, bigger gift shop, TS resturant, bigger bar area, bigger food court, etc.

Of course you can use the facilities of each during your stay!
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at both POR and POFQ, and love POFQ.

The resort is so much smaller, the food court is much less crowded and DD loves the slide!

We usually take an afternoon and head over to POR, swim, etc, so we get the best of both worlds.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We love POFQ!!!! We hav stayed there twice and will be again in March. We do enjoy Boatwrights, the bar and the gift shop at POR. We live in Biloxi and spend a large amount of time in NOLA and have really enjoyed POFQ. Think of it as a clean Jackson Square with a pool and gift shop. Also, the food court at POFQ has beneits, not Cafe du Monde but still a must for my husband and I every trip. Hope this helps, either way you'll have a wonderful trip!!!!!
    June 2003 Offsite Condo
    June 2004 Caribbean Beach
    June 2005 Honeymoon POFQ
    January 2006 POP
    August 2006 CBR Trip with the In-laws
    September 2007 AKL
    March 2009 & 2010 POFQ
    November 2010 POFQ
    November 2012 POR
    November 2013 POFQ Family Reunion
    January 2015 POR
    January 2016 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

POR has a great slide at the pool...
    POFQ is smaller ( a plus)
    Both have the boats to DTD, a really relaxing and fun way to get to some fun nightlife...
    We love both, but because we are a fam of five, we now stay at POR... but could recomend both... you cant go wrong!!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from a trip with my husband and we stayed at the French Quarter. We liked it because it was smaller and quieter. The bus system worked out nicely for us because during the day there are two separate busing systems - one for FQ and one for RS. In the afternoon, the FQ is first to be picked up so you are guaranteed a spot on a bus and it is also the first dropped off - a win/win situation!! It's a nice walk or boat ride to RS if you so chose for the extra dining or pools. I would definately stay at the FQ again and highly recommend it!!

Caribbean Beach Resort: Feb 2003
    Coronado Springs: Oct 2006
    Caribbean Beach Resort: Dec 2007

Port Orleans French Quarter: Oct 2009

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed in both and both sections of Riverside and really like POFQ the best. Riverside is nice and the walk is easy but FQ is smaller and very easy to get around. It is an easy walk to Riverside as well so you have the best of both worlds. The pool at FQ is great for the kids as well as the adults and there is also a nice hot tub. I think that it is now my favorite of all the Mods. It will be a great resort just because you will be at Disney!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDisneyFan View Post
    If your plan on having "Resort Time", POR would be best. POR has bigger pool (several pools), fishing, boat rental area, bigger arcade, bigger playground, bigger gift shop, TS resturant, bigger bar area, bigger food court, etc.
    I prefer Riverside for these reasons. I am not sure why, but I never felt like the resort was huge but you would have to pay me to stay CBR again.

But I think both resorts are lovely and you can't go wrong staying at either one of them.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

We've never stayed at POFQ, because we are a family of five, but we really enjoy POR. It is a large resort, but the walk to the main building has never taken us more than five minutes, and it's enjoyable. The pool is awesome, with a nice slide. Nice poolside bar, too, if that's your thing.

Yes, there are four bus stops, but that means that the buses are always close, so it's not a long walk at all to your room after a long day at the parks. We've never had a problem finding room on a bus, though they can get crowded.

We love the food court here at POR. Of course, I would like some beignets and hot chocolate for breakfast, which you can only get at FQ....I visited New Orleans once and loved Cafe Du Monde.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    I visited New Orleans once and loved Cafe Du Monde.
    Yumm!!!! I love Cafe du Monde

I have to get over to the FQ and try their beignets.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

We love POR. It is spread out, but we enjoy the walk and LOVE the grounds. We wanted to get over to POFQ to try the bakery, but we never made it. Next trip!

Kids love the pool, but we're hoping to try out the pool at POFQ next trip.
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

We loved Riverside and will stay there again in April when we go. We did walk over to French Quarter for breakfast one morning and it was a very enjoyable 5-10 minute walk. The beignets were absolutely wonderful. We plan to walk over there again on our next trip. From what I saw...I don't think you would go wrong with either. Both are great.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

When faced with the same choice for next year's vacation, we went with Riverside. I don't mind the larger grounds, as that make more for us to explore, plus I plan on taking advantage of the carriage rides and the sit down restaurant. Also, I think the theming is a little more relaxed.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at POR in March. We loved the resort but weren't thrilled with the walk to our room. We visited POFQ and thought it was nice but as others have said you have more choices at POR. It depends on preferences of your family. In Feb 2010 my husband and I are going alone and staying at Caribean Beach.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: