Quantcast Cutting Summer Break NOOOOOOO

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cutting Summer Break NOOOOOOO

I'm depressed. This latest news article about wanting to cut summer break. If anything I've been wanting it extended till after labor day.

There's just not enough time for kids to be kids anymore. I guess I'm going to have to write my congressman. I guess I'm just posting because I feel like I've lost so much control over what I want for my son and I'm really

I just can't imagine 307 million people trying to fit summer vacation into only 3-4 weeks what's hard enough to do in 2 1/2 months. Can you imagine how packed Disney will be in June?

WASHINGTON - Students beware: The summer vacation you just enjoyed could be sharply curtailed if President Barack Obama gets his way.

Obama says American kids spend too little time in school, putting them at a disadvantage with other students around the globe.

"Now, I know longer school days and school years are not wildly popular ideas," the president said earlier this year. "Not with Malia and Sasha, not in my family, and probably not in yours. But the challenges of a new century demand more time in the classroom."
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw this too this morning. I don't like it either. I know for my kids a longer school day would not be good and I do not want our summers taken away. Here in Minnesota our summers are short enough as it is weather wise.

I get mad too though when I hear about schools telling parents they can't take their kids out for things either. I always say they are MY kids and shouldn't I get a say in what is best for them.

Oh well that is a disscusion for another day. I just don't like the government telling me how I should raise MY kids.

Sorry I will stop now
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like this either.

My older son goes to a special school for his needs and goes year round. However, the school has always been very accomodating when we take him out to travel at various times of year. In the summer he only goes half days as well- but the reason he goes all year is for retention of what he was taught as well as ongoing therapy.

As a mandatory thing across the country for kids who don't have special needs? Uh, no.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

It might not be as bad as you think. Approximately 60% of Chicago schools go year round. They go for 9 weeks and have 2 weeks off throughout the school year with the exception of summer where they have 5 weeks off. There's plenty of time for vacations throughout the year. My friend is off this week and next week (a teacher in Chicago). Believe me, this would be a better time to go to Disney than July. Kids lose too much during the summer and too much time is wasted at the beginning of each school year reviewing. The education in this country lags way behind other countries.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vicster View Post
    The education in this country lags way behind other countries.
    While that may be true, does it really have anything to do with the amount of time our kids spend in the classroom? Not to mention the amount of time they devote to homework!

I'd love to see a comparison between how much time American kids are in school vs. how much time kids from school systems that have measured superior are in school.

There are tons of reasons why American kids are at a disadvantage educationally, but I'm not sure lack of time working on schoolwork is part of it.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

There are tons of reasons why American kids are at a disadvantage educationally, but I'm not sure lack of time working on schoolwork is part of it.
    Just a note - the Chicago kids on year round school attend the same number of school days as everyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Obama's ideas, and as a former teacher, whether I personally agree or not, I think the teachers' unions will really fight his idea! Either that or they'll demand big increases in salary!

Post Thanks / Like

And just where are they going to come up with the money to pay for this? The states are already cutting the financing for schools. Most districts are not getting by now...this just frustrates me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bucky at disney View Post
    And just where are they going to come up with the money to pay for this? The states are already cutting the financing for schools. Most districts are not getting by now...this just frustrates me!
    From CHINA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see how it would cost any more money... aren't teacher's salarys based on 12 months? They are here in Ontario, but they are paid out over 10 months. We have several year round schools in our region, and the idea of several shorter breaks through the year is far more appealing to us than the long summer break. Unfortunately, the programs our children need are only available during the mainstream program. My brother's children in England go to school in a "year roundish" schedule too. It means opportunity for travel in off times as well.

I agree with the whole idea. If the information is kept fresh in the child's mind, then less time will be needed to review, remind and reteach.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not opposed to year-round school or a longer school-year. In fact, in the past I have had the opposite problem with our current school district. Last year between Hurricane Ike and a storm that caused water damage to the school, the kids in my son's high school missed 14 days! They utilized one weather make-up day in January, otherwise applied for and received a waiver for the rest. This was a big loss of classroom time and I think potentially put these kids at a disadvantage.

It's true that our average school year (and school day) in the U.S. is much shorter than most other comparable countries. I do believe it's true that the amount of time kids spend studying outside the classroom is very important. But it's kind of hard to ignore the fact that kids from countries with longer school years outscore U.S. kids pretty much across the board. More days = more homework? Maybe. But whatever it is, the correlation exists.

The matter of summer vacations aside, I would be interested to hear what teachers think the value (or not) of a longer school year and/or year-round school would be for students. Do they have trouble completing the curriculum in the amount of time they have now?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to see a comparison between how much time American kids are in school vs. how much time kids from school systems that have measured superior are in school.
    I know in Japan the kids go 6 days/week. They get a 6 week summer break, and a two week break in both winter and spring. I could be wrong, but I would rank the Japanese education superior to ours.

Oh, and I should add that I wouldn't be against this. Of course, my oldest son leaves the house now at 8:25am and doesn't get home until 4:45pm. How much longer can the day get?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    I know in Japan the kids go 6 days/week. They get a 6 week summer break, and a two week break in both winter and spring. I could be wrong, but I would rank the Japanese education superior to ours.
    I believe it's South Korea and Japan at the top in maths and sciences. Finland, Canada and New Zealand rank highest in reading literacy, and near the top for science and maths.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be all for more days in school each year if that would allow for less homework time.

As a working single parent, while I do enjoy helping my son with his projects for school, I get very little time to spend quality time with him. We don't get home till after 6:30. He then has to sit down and do his homework and usually needs help with it. Then I have to go over it and usually he will have one or two things to fix, then I have to sign his planning books to say that I checked (I love that his teachers do this, it keeps me and my son on track with his homework) but by the time all this is over with, he usually only has an hour and a half left before bedtime. In which he has to take his shower, eat dinner and his daily chores. That leaves me less than an hour a day to just "hang out" or do something fun with my son. I don't want to spend every night doing homework when I could find more enriching things for he and I to do together.

Side note though, shortening the summer break would totally mess with my divorce paperwork and parenting plan!
    ºoº Lizzy ºoº

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I believe it's South Korea and Japan at the top in maths and sciences. Finland, Canada and New Zealand rank highest in reading literacy, and near the top for science and maths.
    So Jenn, what is Canada's school year/day like?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I can't see how it would cost any more money... aren't teacher's salarys based on 12 months?
    They may be paid out overr 12 months, but they're not paid to work 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    But it's kind of hard to ignore the fact that kids from countries with longer school years outscore U.S. kids pretty much across the board. More days = more homework? Maybe. But whatever it is, the correlation exists.
    Not necessarily. There could be other factors un-related to length of time spent in school that influence the success of school systems in other countries.

It could be that, since Asian cultures put a high premium on education in the home, that their children are just primed more and supported more to succeed in school. The length of their school year/days could be irrelevant.

This just seems knee jerk to me. I highly doubt length of time spent in the classroom really has any solid correlation to success.

Personally, I think the failures of the U.S. education system have a lot more do with the parents and certain systemic problems with the way our schools are structured than with how much time kids are spending in the classroom.

In fact, I'll go as far to say that I find it highly unlikely that's got any real bearing on kids' success or failure. Why? Because education is a highly complex issue and simplistic solutions like "Spend more time in the classroom" are rarely adequate solutions to complex problems. If that was the case, then we could just send kids to school 12 hours a day every day, 365 days a year and they'd all be brilliant.

Right?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ian that the importance a family or society puts on education likely plays a HUGE role in a child's success.

Melanie, there are 194 instructional day (basically September to June with 2 weeks at Christmas, and a week in March). School days are 7 hours long, with an hour for lunch/breaks. School starts in "Junior" Kindergarten (age 4), and homework starts at that time too. Nothing taxing, but simple worksheets (letters, numbers, rhyming etc) are sent home daily in Kindergarten. Homework for the higher grades (I only have knowledge up to Grade 6 so far) tends to be unfinished seatwork and projects. The children also have daily phys ed, two periods of music, and two periods of art per week.

There are also two government paid school systems in Canada (as set out by the British North America Act), one is completely secular, and the other involves the Roman Catholic doctrines. There's a bit of competition between the two systems, so I think that eggs on success. Honestly. We also perform standardized testing in Grades 3, 6 and 9.

Also, it's cold for a very long time during the school year. What else are kids gonna do but read?

Post Thanks / Like

Because education is a highly complex issue and simplistic solutions like "Spend more time in the classroom" are rarely adequate solutions to complex problems. If that was the case, then we could just send kids to school 12 hours a day every day, 365 days a year and they'd all be brilliant.

Right?
    Um, yeah--I kind of think they would be. That's probably closer to the amount of time kids in Japan spend on education, between classroom time and homework.

I do agree that a lot depends on parental involvement, but there again, the length of time kids that are at risk (i.e.--from homes where there is little parental participation in the education of their children) are out of school for any extended length of time, the greater it can affect their overall learning. If it affects their ability to succeed in school, it might also make these kids more likely to drop out. A high drop-out rate is another reason that the schools in the U.S. are sometimes regarded as inferior.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Also, it's cold for a very long time during the school year. What else are kids gonna do but read?
    You don't have video games up there? I think I want to send my son off to school in Canada!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you also hear that they want to make our school days longer?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: