Quantcast Lost children

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost children

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost children

I was reading the "rain stories" thread and came across the lost child story and I started wondering why doesn't DW have a system for this situation that is fairly common. At Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana, they give children a bracelet and you write your cell phone number on it, in case they are lost. Even at Chuck E Cheese's they give you a stamp to match the parent up with the kids. You would think they would at least offer the bracelets for sale at DW to make some money. I'm thinking of just writing my cell number on my DD's hand with a Sharpie for the next visit. Other than keeping an eye on her and giving her a plan, any other suggestions?
    Many visits as child.
    2005 WL, AK
    2006 POLY, CR
    2007 WL
    2008 POFQ
    2009 CSR
    2010 POFQ

*October 2011 POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out www.safetytats.com. They are temporary tattoos that you can have printed with your cell phone number on them. I found about them recently and LOVE them!!

Stephanie
    Stephanie

DD 9.5, DD 7.5, DS 5.5

1st Trip ~ Offsite ~ Dec. 1997
    2nd Trip ~ CBR ~ Dec. 1999
    3rd Trip ~ POP ~ April 2007
    4th Trip ~ POR ~ Dec. 2009
    5th Trip ~ 12th Anniversary Trip ~ POLY ~ Dec. 16th - 24th 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I bought wristbands for my kids this year. It's a wristband that holds a piece of paper inside with our info on it such as our names and cell phone numbers. I also take the kids to a cast member when we first arrive and go over with them what to do if they get separated from us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raider97 View Post
    Check out www.safetytats.com. They are temporary tattoos that you can have printed with your cell phone number on them. I found about them recently and LOVE them!!

Stephanie

What a fabulous invention!! My children are older now and have cell phones, so I've been out of the "kid safety" loop for a bit, but I wish these had been around when they were little!

Post Thanks / Like

We bought one of those souvenir ID tags that you can have engraved, and put on "parents' cell phone ------."

Of course when he walked away from us one day he wasn't wearing the dang ID tag!!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought enough stuff to make my son a necklace with my cell #. We never needed to use it, but it was so nice not to worry about it. And, we never let him take it off. He showered in it even. That way, we knew it would be on no matter what.

Post Thanks / Like

On our first trip to WDW, when our kids were 6 & 9, we made sure they knew how to ID a cast member on our first visit to the park. They knew our cell phone # by memory, so they knew they if they got separated from us all they had to do was find a cast member and then we could be located. That only happened one time and we were actually less than 50 feet away from the boys when they called us (in a busy gift shop). The CM's are very good about dealing with lost kids (or adults) and if you (the parent) contact another CM, they can quickly find out if your kids are with another CM.

But I think a wristband system or ID tag would be a great idea while you are in the parks; many kids are too young to have a cell phone # memorized.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is actually extremely good at lost children situations. Any lost child how is brought to a CM or a CM finds is instantly taken care of. A CM will stay with that child no matter what until Disney Security takes over. There were plenty of times I had to walk a child from tomorrowland to Mainstreet (one of the only times a CM in MK can go into other lands on stage in costume)
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

We've always taught DD (now 11) to "hug something that doesn't move" - the urban variation of "hug a tree". The basis is that as soon as she realizes she has become separated from us, she needs to stop moving and we will backtrack and find her.

It has worked well a couple of times (both at Disney and not at Disney) where crowds have pushed us in different directions.

We have a bit of a challenge, being from Canada, we don't use our cell phones at Disney, since the roaming charges would be too crazy.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raider97 View Post

Stephanie
    Just checked out this site and loved it! I've added it to my favorites and will definitely be ordering some for our next trip.
    April 2015 - CSR
    May 2013 CSR
    December 2011 Bay Lake Towers
    May 2009 off site
    November 2007 off site
    December 2004 off site
    October 2003 off site
    Feburary 2002 Poly
    December 2000 CBR
    October 1999 CSR
    October 1994 off site
    May 1990 off site
    May 1984 off site
    November 1979 off site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    We've always taught DD (now 11) to "hug something that doesn't move" - the urban variation of "hug a tree". The basis is that as soon as she realizes she has become separated from us, she needs to stop moving and we will backtrack and find her.
    Our DS (10) is a scout and he was told the same thing. Last trip we were at DHS and were going through the building where you draw Disney characters. Apparently our son didn't see us go in and was still outside the gift store. By the time we frantically backtracked, we found him standing still next to a tree in front of the gift store. Had he gone looking for us, we would have missed each other. So the "hug a tree" really works!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

We have metal dogs with the kids' names and a cell phone number on them. The kids can wear them on a lanyard or pinned to their shirt.

You can also just write a cell phone number on their arm with a Sharpie.

Disney actually has a system for lost children, they just don't advertise it.

We got to use it at Typhoon Lagoon on the last trip.

DS1 wandered off in the park. After about 20 minutes of looking, I grabbed a cast member and they took me to the CM in charge of lost children. She wrote our information down in a book and advised all managers and lifeguards that he was lost. She told me that all of the managers would do a sweep for him in their designated areas and the lifeguards would look in all of their areas, too. The notice included telling CMs at the exit that we had a lost kid and giving them his description. She told me that when they found him, they would bring him to the lost children area and keep him there. She told me to go look for him and check back in around 20 minutes.

I found him about 15 minutes later. (Then I marched him over to Lost Children to tell the CM we had him. I also had him apologize to the CM for making her do extra work because he wandered off.)

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is good at finding lost parents also. My Dad and I lost each other at Typhoon Lagoon. I had the locker key with room keys, cars keys, money and his glasses. After looking for 20 minutes, I went to the front of the park. I stopped the first security person I knew and she asked me if I was Jill. They were looking for me. )
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

We do the engraved dog tag. We lace it up in our son's shoe laces (can't fall off unless entire shoe lace is removed).
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post

It has worked well a couple of times (both at Disney and not at Disney) where crowds have pushed us in different directions.

We have a bit of a challenge, being from Canada, we don't use our cell phones at Disney, since the roaming charges would be too crazy.
    love the hug idea, my toddlers could even do this
    Next Visit: Fall 2013

Now approaching the Carousel of Progress

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers?? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements, may be made at the end of the tour.

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago on our family trip to Disney, I ordered plastic wristbands (those LiveStrong type wristbands) with DH's cell phone number on them. They come in all kinds of colors and the kids liked wearing them. I don't know if I can put the web site on the board, but send me a PM if you are interested.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

I too use the tattoo method. They are wonderful. I wish I knew about them before last year.

When my son was 2...he wondered off in Epcot. It was very dark since the lights used were only the holiday lights at the time. Disney has a wonderful procedure for "lost parents" as they called us. After about 15 minutes, my son was found (by a family member) but I can't say enough for the CMs and security! Not an experience I want to go thru again...

Post Thanks / Like

The lost part I mean.....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lovin the safety tats!!!

We have never lost one another at Disney!!! But the safety tats are a GREAT idea for the younger kiddos!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife said she saw a group of kids that had the luggage tags Disney sends attached to one of their belt loops. It might be a little bulky, but I thought it was an interesting idea.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: