I am a longtime reader, but this is my first ever post. My husband and I have been to Disney World and Disney Land several times, but now we are planning our first trip with children. They will be 4 and 1 when we go. I have a few questions:

1)Which time of the year would be best and why? We are looking at early to middle May vs. September. To me, the only negative for September is the rain.
2) We have always stayed off property. On this trip, we are planning on staying at either Pop Century or the movie themed value resort. What are your recommendations regarding one vs. the other?
3)We know the importance of reservations for hotel and character meals. The question is how late will be too late? Our concern is that since we do not know which time we will be going, and we make our reservation and have to reschedule, will we lose money on this? Is a deposit required? If so, is it refundable or transferrable to a new date?
4)Disney dollars- we have never used. Can they be used to buy park hopper passes? Anywhere? Through discount brokers?

I know that I can look many of these things up, but I have always wanted to post something on here, and thought that this would be fun. I know that you are all Disney freaks like me, and I value your input and advice. Thanks!