Quantcast Free WiFi locations....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Free WiFi locations....

Has anyone compiled a list of locations in the Disney World area that have free WiFi access?It was easy to find internet info for the resorts but I am trying to make a listof places [public-ie:Starbucks,bookstores] within short driving distance [ieDowntown Disney] in case we are out & about and have the opportunity to check mail etc.--We are bringing our mini netbook so we won't need access to a computer.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the list of Free WiFi at WDW:
    . . . McDonald's near CSR
    . . . WWoS

Here's the list for near WDW:
    . . . most non-Disney budget hotel parking lots

NOTE: Sorry, but there is no free WiFi at DTD. There might be some at Crossroads Shopping Center off DTD. Other than that, there is little in the way of free WiFi near Disney. Near Disney is mainly tourists, and there is just not much of a call for tourist WiFI. Possibly someone else could ofer suggestions, or you could get a card for your mini netbook.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I found even the pay wifi at Disney resorts was patchy. I was applying for a job while down there last year, and it wouldn't let me send attachments ... and that was after fighting for at least a half-hour to get connected!

(I ended up pasting the whole text of my resume into the body of an e-mail ... far from ideal, but it got me the job, so it must have been okay. )

Great thread, though ... I might have to make stops at McDonald's a regular part of this trip.
    1978-1990, 2000, 2001: WDW - Off-property
    2004: WDW - Ft. Wilderness
    2005: WDW - Pop Century
    2006, 2007: DLR
    Oct 2008: WDW - Ft. Wilderness
    Oct 2009:WDW - Our Disney wedding at the WDW Swan & Dolphin
    July 2010: DLR - Off-property
    Oct 2010: DLR - Day trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    Here's the list of Free WiFi at WDW:
    . . . McDonald's near CSR
    . . . WWoS

Here's the list for near WDW:
    . . . most non-Disney budget hotel parking lots
    Thanks! I'll have to remember that about McD's.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, in this day and age-hello Disney it is 2009-the new millennium-you would think that there would be complimentary and reliable WiFi at all hotels. (And non-Disney hotels as well). I get that they want you out at the parks spending money, but the truth is everything is digital now. While I do not like to work while on vacation (hence the term vacation). Sometimes it's just a necessity. And no the price of the room shouldn't go up to accomodate this, and you shouldn't have to pay extra and it should work without a hassle. Give us some some of that old fashioned customer service to make all of our lives easier. Good grief!

Plus too-if you want to check rates to come back (maybe bounce back offer) I always like to do my research on the web before deciding.

I will make sure to make out a comment card/letter while I am there next month.

And I as well would be interested in free, reliable WiFi! Good luck!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rekenna View Post
    Honestly, in this day and age-hello Disney it is 2009-the new millennium-you would think that there would be complimentary and reliable WiFi at all hotels. (And non-Disney hotels as well). I get that they want you out at the parks spending money, but the truth is everything is digital now. While I do not like to work while on vacation (hence the term vacation). Sometimes it's just a necessity. And no the price of the room shouldn't go up to accomodate this, and you shouldn't have to pay extra and it should work without a hassle. Give us some some of that old fashioned customer service to make all of our lives easier. Good grief!

Plus too-if you want to check rates to come back (maybe bounce back offer) I always like to do my research on the web before deSent from my iPodciding.

I will make sure to make out a comment card/letter while I am there next month.

And I as well would be interested in free, reliable WiFi! Good luck!
    Ok, got to put on my hotelier's hat here. To start hotels are businesses and are there primarily to make profits. Services provided are done so to provide competitive edge so as to... Yep make money.

Wifi costs the hotel something to provide. It is usually outsourced via contract. The outsourcer usually requires a minimum payment as part of that contract. So the hotel either charges directly (like Disney for it's Internet and most upscale chains) or buries the minimum cost in it's room rates (like most other hotel chains). Either way it isn't free.

To ask room rates or some other revenue stream to not go up is asking the hotel to reduce its profit. And the hotel is there primarily to make a profit.

That said, Disney will have to increase WiFi access but they won't reduce their profits to do so.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yeah and really ... most hotels and resorts in tourist traps charge for Internet access. The only places you get free Internet are in hotels that have to give it away to draw business.

I find Disney's Internet charges to be pretty reasonable, all things considered. On a recent business trip to Reno, I had to pay $13.95 a day to get Internet in my room and then a separate $6.95 if I wanted to be able to access Wi-Fi in the public areas!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

But like another poster said, then at least make the wifi RELIABLE! When I was there last year, it was nearly impossible to get it to work. I spent HOURS fiddling with it, calling help lines, etc. Ended up going to the front desk and then settling in in the business centre cubbyhole.

It's true, I didn't really want to work on vacation either, but it was something that needed to get taken care of, and SHOULD have only taken about 30 min. Ended up taking the better part of an evening.

I'm fine with paying, but then make it easy to use.
    1978-1990, 2000, 2001: WDW - Off-property
    2004: WDW - Ft. Wilderness
    2005: WDW - Pop Century
    2006, 2007: DLR
    Oct 2008: WDW - Ft. Wilderness
    Oct 2009:WDW - Our Disney wedding at the WDW Swan & Dolphin
    July 2010: DLR - Off-property
    Oct 2010: DLR - Day trip

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I've actually never tried the wi-fi ... only the wired connections.

In the past, I did have some connectivity issues even with the wired service, but that seems to have cleared up in recent years.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Ok, got to put on my hotelier's hat here. To start hotels are businesses and are there primarily to make profits. Services provided are done so to provide competitive edge so as to... Yep make money.

Wifi costs the hotel something to provide. It is usually outsourced via contract. The outsourcer usually requires a minimum payment as part of that contract. So the hotel either charges directly (like Disney for it's Internet and most upscale chains) or buries the minimum cost in it's room rates (like most other hotel chains). Either way it isn't free.

To ask room rates or some other revenue stream to not go up is asking the hotel to reduce its profit. And the hotel is there primarily to make a profit.

That said, Disney will have to increase WiFi access but they won't reduce their profits to do so.
    Yeah, most people don't even realize what it takes to set up wi-fi at a resort. For a restaurant it's easy. One wireless router plugged in to a DSL line can cover a restaurant. But a hotel or resort? You have to first have a large enough data connection from the telephone company to handle it, which isn't cheap, and THEN you have to set up a switch with lots of wired connections, and then run the wiring to strategically placed wireless routers in order to ensure good coverage. That's a lot of work, and a large expense. Especially for some of the huge resorts that Disney has. And how would you run the cabling from building to building? And none of this includes the software that they have to set up to ensure that only Disney guests can use it.

I would LOVE "free" wi-fi at the Disney hotels when I go. But, nothing is really free.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Yeah, most people don't even realize what it takes to set up wi-fi at a resort. For a restaurant it's easy. One wireless router plugged in to a DSL line can cover a restaurant. But a hotel or resort? You have to first have a large enough data connection from the telephone company to handle it, which isn't cheap, and THEN you have to set up a switch with lots of wired connections, and then run the wiring to strategically placed wireless routers in order to ensure good coverage. That's a lot of work, and a large expense. Especially for some of the huge resorts that Disney has. And how would you run the cabling from building to building? And none of this includes the software that they have to set up to ensure that only Disney guests can use it.

I would LOVE "free" wi-fi at the Disney hotels when I go. But, nothing is really free.
    That's true to an extent, but a good portion of that infrastructure would be economized across all of the resorts, so it's not exactly like each individual resort has to bear up under all the costs.

For example, once you get the website up and running that controls access, every resort can just tap into it. Also, I'm fairly certain they just use an off-the-shelf product that's re-skinned for Disney's use, because I've seen very similar applications in other hotels around the country.

As far as the local networking hardware goes, yeah ... that could get pretty pricey. Especially for far-flung resorts like Saratoga Springs or Caribbean Beach. My guess is that each resort has a huge pipe running in from their ISP (probably one or more T3's) that they then split off into the wireless router(s) in each building.

That's quite a lot of infrastructure and overhead to support for free.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

If you are a Verizon Fios subscriber you can get free wifi at the Swan. I just got an email about it yesterday.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    On a recent business trip to Reno, I had to pay $13.95 a day to get Internet in my room and then a separate $6.95 if I wanted to be able to access Wi-Fi in the public areas!
    I would have asked to go double-or-nothing on the fees.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that WDW would have free Wifi at their convention locations (CR, GF, BC/YC and CSR). Not in the hotel rooms, but at least near the conference facilities.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    I would think that WDW would have free Wifi at their convention locations (CR, GF, BC/YC and CSR). Not in the hotel rooms, but at least near the conference facilities.
    It's also $9.95 for a 24hr period and I believe $4.95 for 60 minutes in the convention areas.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to pick up free WiFi from our balcony at the BWV. It was from Big River Grill on the Boardwalk. The signal strength wasn't the best but it was good enough for a quick hookup.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    I've spent a lot of time in convention facilities over the years and have rarely had access to free wi-fi. More often than not it comes at a price.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I've spent a lot of time in convention facilities over the years and have rarely had access to free wi-fi. More often than not it comes at a price.
    Agreed.

I think people who travel to non-Disney hotels and are used to getting free Internet probably aren't traveling to convention hot spots or big tourist traps, because outside of the odd Marriott Courtyard in the middle of nowhere, I'm pretty used to being charged for Internet.

I would like to point out, however, that there's one way to actually get free Internet in Disney World ... join DVC.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Default wifi

Double Tree at Downtown Disney had it when we stayed there prior to our checking in at POR. I could connect at the bar, lobby and room. But as others pointed in everything "free" usually comes at a price esp in a tourist area. But these days not only do we want it sometimes we need to stay connected..as we are self employed sometimes we need to work on vacation... I do hate it but some things cant be helped!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by momof3boysinTN View Post
    Double Tree at Downtown Disney had it when we stayed there prior to our checking in at POR. I could connect at the bar, lobby and room. But as others pointed in everything "free" usually comes at a price esp in a tourist area. But these days not only do we want it sometimes we need to stay connected..as we are self employed sometimes we need to work on vacation... I do hate it but some things cant be helped!!
    You have to be careful, though, about saying Internet was free.

A lot of non-Disney hotels in the area tack on a mandatory "resort" fee of $10-$20 a day that covers Internet. So while they're not outright charging you for access, you're still paying for it just the same.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: