Quantcast "free" dining more expensive - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

to me it's nice to have the knowledge that i don't have to worry what i'm eating...I can eat anything on the menu, regardless of the price.
    I love the dining plan.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Might be an issue for us in the future, if we ever decide to stay at a moderate. For DH and I, we spend very little time in the resort, so a Value is perfect. The pools are nice, the beds are comfy, and - as has been pointed out during this thread - the Free Dining saves money in Values.

We were on the deal that gave the regular dining plan no matter where you stay. I'd have to do the math if we were on the one that gave only the Quick Service plan at a Value. Wonder if paying the extra to upgrade to a moderate, or to upgrade the plan to the regular dining plan, would be better or worse, if there was a room rate reduction at the same time? Interesting. That spreadsheet could get complicated!
    Once as a kid
    Sept 1992 with hubby offsite
    May 2005 Disneyland Paris!
    Sept 2005 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2007 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2009 with hubby - AS Sports!
    Sept 2014 with hubby - POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm not surprised. I always knew offering the free DDP was just a scam to get people to pay rack rates for their rooms.

I will say, though, that we paid for the DDP on our last trip and I kept close accounting of how much money we spent on food vs. what we paid for the DDP.

We had DDP for 2 adults and one child for 6 nights, which came to a total of $545.82 (two adults at $39.99 a day = $79.98 per day times 6 days = $479.88 + $10.99 per day for 6 nights for a child = $65.94 for a total of $545.82).

So we ate for 6 days in the parks for $545.82. We spent around $830 on food. That was 6 dinners at an average of $100 each ($600), plus 6 counter service meals at a cost of around $30 each ($180) and around $50 in snacks.
    Last edited by Ian; 09-23-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Fix typo
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Others are making the point (and I agree with this too) that you can save even more money by taking a room discount, not getting the DDP, and paying OOP for your food because, in general, most folks do not eat the amount of food given on the DDP so if you ordered a la carte you might end up spending less than the cost of the DDP.
    We do not use the DDP.

After a few WDW trips, I've compared our actual food expenditures to the DDP cost. I also have correlated our actual dining patterns to DDP credits to see how well they matched up (e.g., would we have burned through snack credits too quickly, or let some TS or CS credits go to waste.)

Every time, using a room discount and paying OOP for dining has been best for us both financially and logistically. The DDP just is not reflective of the way we actually like to eat at WDW.
    Last edited by Aggie97; 09-18-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: clarification
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Well since we leave in a week or so I am not going to crunch the numbers and annoy myself but I will look at this closer next time. We went through Magical Journeys and had a room discount offer and of course the free dining. When they worked the numbers for us, staying at the Poly, we were told the free dining was the better deal. I am just going to "believe" and worry about this next time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by babsmom View Post
    Well since we leave in a week or so I am not going to crunch the numbers and annoy myself but I will look at this closer next time. We went through Magical Journeys and had a room discount offer and of course the free dining. When they worked the numbers for us, staying at the Poly, we were told the free dining was the better deal. I am just going to "believe" and worry about this next time!
    Your situation may have been different. I don't know the specifics. I do know that I trust the folks at Magical Journeys and if they crunched the numbers and said the "free" dining was the better deal then in your specific case it probably was. That's why I always use MJ.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm not surprised. I always knew offering the free DDP was just a scam to get people to pay rack rates for their rooms.

I will say, though, that we paid for the DDP on our last trip and I kept close accounting fo how much money we spent on food vs. what we paid for the DDP.

We had DDP for 2 adults and one child for 6 nights, which came to a total of $545.82 (two adults at $39.99 a day = $79.98 per day times 6 days = $479.88 + $10.99 per day for 6 nights for a child = $65.94 for a total of $545.82).

So we ate for 6 days in the parks for $545.82. We spent around $830 on food. That was 6 dinners at an average of $100 each ($600), plus 6 counter service meals at a cost of around $30 each ($180) and around $50 in snacks.
    You who are so good at numbers crunching-
    For your family, was the DDP worth it ?

Would you have ordered differently if you were not on the plan?

It always seemed to me, based on my own consumption that the plan was worth the money

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

We did OOP for dining in May. We saved all the receipts and want to crunch the numbers when we have some time. We initially had the dining plan, then decided that we just weren't interested in a sit down meal every day, we almost never order desert (I think we did once on that trip), and we often aren't hungry enough to have full meals on our own so we split meals. It will be interesting to see what we spent compared to what we would have paid for dining.

Post Thanks / Like

OK... I must put in my two cents worth...
    December 4-9, 2009
    5 nights POP Century Value Resort
    5 Days Magic Your Way Base Ticket for family of 4 2 adults 2 children
    Disney Dining ("Free")
    Magic Express (which means no extra transportation charge)

$1,330 TOTAL PRICE.
    Airfare is extra, but we are using miles, so it's not too bad. I'm still under $2,000 for this trip.
    My time at the Jersey Shore cost me double this, it was for a week, but this is for food, entertainment and lodging. I think it's a deal!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    I think it's a deal!
    Julie
    It all boils down to if you're happy then the cost doesn't really matter. Just out of curiosity, though, did you price it out to what it would be if you took the room discount and paid for the dining? As I mentioned in the first post, I know at value resorts the "free" DDP can be a decent deal, but I was wondering with it only be the CS version for this year if the room discount would have been better.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to have to disagree...I have a family of 5 that eats a ton. The DDP is a piece of mind for me to know that we can truly enjoy our vacation from start to finish...including the food. I love being able to tell my children that they can chose what ever they would like to eat. Normally, before we did DDP I would have to guide the family as to what are sensible choices for the budget I had for the day. Let me tell you it was stressful having people want dessert, that extra special meal, drink or whatever. Being on the DDP has been a blessing for us becuase we can truly enjoy ourselves.

Paying or free...I could never feed my family of 5 well at the world for the value given.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

What is the Tables in Wonderland card?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    It all boils down to if you're happy then the cost doesn't really matter. Just out of curiosity, though, did you price it out to what it would be if you took the room discount and paid for the dining? As I mentioned in the first post, I know at value resorts the "free" DDP can be a decent deal, but I was wondering with it only be the CS version for this year if the room discount would have been better.
    I want to say back in May or June before I got the e-mail code from Disney with this special that the room rate was $59 for the value, and we are paying $89 a night now, but the dining was going to cost me $100 a day to add on, so for my family that is still a savings of $70 per day.
    I believe that Disney offered the CS dining to the general public for late November early/mid December for people booking the value resorts. The pin number I got was for the regular dining in the values. Never stayed in a value resort, but was excited that I got my husband to agree to a trip, as we did do two full vacations this year already.
    Julie
    Next Up:

2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post
    You who are so good at numbers crunching.
    Tell that to my 8th grade Algebra teacher!

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post
    For your family, was the DDP worth it ?

Would you have ordered differently if you were not on the plan?

It always seemed to me, based on my own consumption that the plan was worth the money

thanks
    Honestly, we love to eat. Dining is a big part of what we love about WDW and we pretty much always splurge when we're down, so yeah ... based on our typical food consumption it was well worth it for us.

Bear in mind, however, that I don't have all these extraneous considerations like packages and room only discounts vs. free dining, etc. etc. etc.

Since we have AP's and are DVC owners, it's a very simple equation for us. We paid $545.82 for the DDP and ate over $900 worth of food. Basic math says it's a good buy for us.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Ian;1962508]Tell that to my 8th grade Algebra teacher!

Honestly, we love to eat. Dining is a big part of what we love about WDW and we pretty much always splurge when we're down, so yeah ... based on our typical food consumption it was well worth it for us.

So does my family! We have our favorite places to eat and that is part of our Disney vacation!
    I have to look for "deals", as we like to do other vacations too as a family, and if I keep it all to a certain price, can get my husband to agree to it! I do use the word "deal" loosely, as it may not be the greatest savings to AP and DVC owners. I just base the prices I get for a Disney package on what it costs us to do other activities.
    In the words on my husband..."Doing nothing is cheap, and we aren't content sitting home doing nothing."
    Julie
    Next Up:

2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    In the words on my husband..."Doing nothing is cheap, and we aren't content sitting home doing nothing."
    Julie
    I love that sentiment ... I think your hubby and I would get along well!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is a good sentiment.

Good thing we have good jobs that can support all the FUN we like to do...LOL!!

Julie
    Next Up:

2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

When we have broken down numbers in the past the free dining option has not actually been a cost saver for us. first of all, while we certainly enjoy the copious amounts of food that comes with the dining plan...being in our 40s and having somewhat slowing metabolisms eating that much food on vacation, even one where we walk as much as we do at WDW, would not be a good idea weight/health wise for us. We've actually gotten to the place where we tend to add on an appetizer/salad (and occasionally on vacation a dessert) and split an entree. Its more than enough food for us.

In doing this we are already saving about 35-40% off our food bill....therefore it has tended to make more sense for us to go for the accommodation discounts...(special offers, DisneyRewards or if all else fails...good old AAA).
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    What is the Tables in Wonderland card?
    This is a card, available to annual passholders. For a fee, annual passholders purchase the card which provides 20% off dining at most table service restaurants. The 20% discount includes a discount on alcoholic beverages. The card cannot be used at most counter service establishments.

Tables In Wonderland (formerly Disney Dining Experience): Receive $25 off the regular price of the Tables In Wonderland Membership. Benefits include:

20% discount on all food and beverages at over 70 participating Resort hotel and Theme Park restaurants (discount is valid for Passholder and a party of up to 9 Guests).
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great deal if you're staying a value, though. We have a family of 4 and even if the rooms are half-price, free dining is a better deal for folks at the values.

I've run the numbers several times. We save about $500-$700 off the trip if we use the DDP, rather than take a room discount, if we're staying at a value resort.

Karen at Magical Journeys ran the same numbers for our last trip, because I had a pin offer for a discount on the room, and said that free dining was the better deal.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: