Quantcast Just returned and disappointed in Dining - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Okay, so we just got back from WDW on the 7th and we ate in some of the same places you did ... I can't say I noticed any appreciable difference from what Disney Dining has been the last two or three years.

In fact, we had excellent meals at The Plaza, Coral Reef, Teppan Edo, Tutto Italian, Garden Grill, and Liberty Tree Tavern.

And, although we didn't eat there this trip, I can tell you that I've eaten at Chefs De France at least a dozen times and I've never had anything but a top-notch meal there.

Ohana ... my opinion on that dump is well known. I think it has, hands down, the worst food in all of Disney World. Haven't done 1900 Park Fare for dinner in quite awhile, but my recollection is that I had largely the same opinion on it you did ... BLECH! We also tried the Yak and Yeti for the first time this trip and I didn't really care for it at all. My shrimp was really mealy tasting and the steak was more like something you'd get from a Sizzler.

As far as their counter service food goes, I think it's hit or miss. We actually had some really good counter service (Lotus Blossom Cafe, Pecos Bills, and Cosmic Ray's were the best), but we also had some disasters like at El Pirata y El Perico. That was terrible, incredibly overpriced Mexican food that was worse than Taco Bell at about ten times the price.

Also, Disney's burgers have gotten bad again. Originally, they had burgers that would make you long for McDonald's. Then they upgraded to these really nice, big, juciy burgers. But I had one on this trip at Back Lot Express was a sad, pathetic little thing with very little taste.

Anyway, I think it's a very mixed bag. Also, it must vary by individual tastes, because people just rave and rave about Ohana and yet I'll tell you quite honestly that I'd much rather drive off-property and eat at an Outback Steakhouse than I would ever set foot in Ohana again. I've had some of the worst meals ever in that joint.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The burgers were horrible and as I stated 1900 park fare was good last year; they did change their menu in the last couple of weeks. The waitress told us lots of changes happened just a few weeks ago. Coral reef was not good. Not only was the food bad but the wait was horrible. We waited 40 min to sit, then another 30 for food. The manager brought us lobster bisque that was very good, to keep us happy while we waited but then when we paid the bill, we had to wait 30 min for her to bring it back then another 15 minutes for a to go box for the dessert....bad experience! Les chefs de france, I ordered creme brulee for dessert and it did not have a crisp top; it was cold and soupy. I love creme brulee and this is a french dessert,.....how can they mess it up. It took a long time to get our food and when we did it hard, like it had been under the heat lamps for a long time. My other complaint was how slow everything was this year. Even buffets took us about 2.5 hrs to get seated, eat, and get out. We didnt see everything in all the parks in the 14 days we were there and the kids were sooo tired of spending so much time at the restaurants. Boma got us right in and out both times; that was a bonus for them. Their dinner just wasn't top notch this time. But honestly cant believe grand floridian claims 1900 park fare.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Man, you must have had bad luck with the creme brulee at Chefs, because I get that every single time and it's never been anything other than outstanding. It always has a rock-solid carmelized top on it and it's very firm.

RE: the service, in looking at your signature I see this was only your second trip in the September time frame. If your experience last year was better, it was probably nothing more than blind luck because September is always the worst month for customer service in Disney. That and January, anyway.

It's the slowest time of the year, so their staffing levels are way down (and probably down even more this year because of such low attendance). In addition, they have a new incoming class of CP's so you run into a ton of CM's who are "earning their ears."

It's pretty much par for the course that service is going to suffer in September.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I can totally relate to jonahbear's experience in France. We really disliked our one and only meal there.

My scallops were still somewhat raw in the middle, and were very bland. DH's filet was spongy and loaded with fat. He had a very hard time cutting it with his knife. We had never seen meat like that before.

His creme brulee was like yours, soupy with a soggy top (there was a lot of condensation on top which made it gooey). It was straight out of the fridge, which we don't like. Now, the creme brulee you get at V&A is perfect, and warm. That's what we were expecting.

I had the cream puffs, and they were still frozen inside. They, too, were soggy outside from condensation on them. I thought they could do better than Sarah Lee.

We went there 2 years ago, and never returned.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

the creme brulee at coral reef was ok, and the best i think was at rose and crown though. there's was good. the best dessert i had, by far, was the cheesecake brownie at boardwalk bakery. The signature dining was great. but food and service definitely was not spot on. I was very disappointed in the maid staff as well but that is off topic.
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so disappointed to hear the negative reviews or 1900 PF. We went there two years ago and thought it was fantastic. As a matter of fact, I just recommended it based on that experience in a different post. I was looking forward to going back there again but this is making me think twice. How disappointing.
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they were not talking about the breakfast because it was good. I never though that 1900PF or Crystal palace would have good evening buffets. Kinda thought it would be more like a Golden Coral, which is very bland and lacking. But how can you mess up a breakfast at any of those?
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RocknBev View Post
    but I always remember the WDW is a theme park...I am not expecting the same quality I would get if I go to fine dining in Atlanta or NYC
    1) Why not?
    2) You are paying good bucks and getting the return.
    3) The eateries used to be very good.
    4) But, DDP has ruined it for everyone.
    Last edited by Hammer; 09-17-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: off topic
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's time to ditch the dining plans all together. It has ruined what eating in WDW was all about.
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I have to totally agree on Ohana's, It was the worst place we ate at last year. WORST. Very disappointed, the waitress was non talking non refilling and the meat was actually raw Yes bloody and pink chicken and all. I will not go back there well all 5 of us. OFF the list. We paid OOP on last years trip and I only ate the salad and only one small plate as she never brought me out any more after asking 3 times. I was starved and paid 30.00 for that meal just for me. Whispering Canyon ran a close second. The meat in the skillet was mostly fat..We paid for all this last year out of pocket so it was even harder to feel good about the food in the World. We really like Pecos but our burgers were very dry, had to load up on mustard catsup and mayo to eat it. But we will go back.

Trying Columbia this time, heard they now have a shrimp platter so will try that.
    Connie
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP

Post Thanks / Like

One more thought....

If the dining plans have been free almost all this year then doesn't it tell you that they have cut down on quality of cuts of meat and food and that it must not cost much to feed us all. Big price breaks for Disney. Hoping we will buy more in their stores??? Not sure why they can justifiy why their buffets are 20+ dollars each when you go to any given city at a Golden Coral Ryans etc and pay at most $10.00 a head.. When the food is no better than those places and those places are just as tasteless..hummm???
    Connie
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousse View Post
    I think it's time to ditch the dining plans all together. It has ruined what eating in WDW was all about.
    I actually agree with you, but I don't think it will ever happen. The fact that they're so ready and willing to give it away for free tells me that they know something we don't about it ... which is to say that it must generate tons of money for them elsewhere.

I think the paid DDP and free dining are here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by lighteningqueen View Post
    Not sure why they can justifiy why their buffets are 20+ dollars each ...
    HA! $20 each! I wish!

Every buffet or family style meal we had in WDW last week was at least $30 or more.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lighteningqueen View Post
    One more thought....

If the dining plans have been free almost all this year then doesn't it tell you that they have cut down on quality of cuts of meat and food and that it must not cost much to feed us all. Big price breaks for Disney. Hoping we will buy more in their stores??? Not sure why they can justifiy why their buffets are 20+ dollars each when you go to any given city at a Golden Coral Ryans etc and pay at most $10.00 a head.. When the food is no better than those places and those places are just as tasteless..hummm???
    But, Disney isn't losing any money AT ALL with free dining. As is noted in another thread (and some of us have been saying for a couple years now), free dining only saves people money if they stay value. It's pretty much a wash if you stay mod, and your vacation actually costs MORE with free dining if you stay deluxe. There is no need to cut back on food quality, and honestly, I haven't seen it. Sure, there are restaurants we don't care for, but that's different.

I personally have not seen a decline in food quality since the introduction of any dining plans. We've always had fabulous meals at our faves (Narcoossee's, Cali Grill, 'Ohana, Crystal Palace, V&A, 50's PT, Nine Dragons, Teppan Edo, Le Cellier, Grand Flo Cafe, Plaza Restaurant, LTT, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey's, Flying Fish). We've also been to WDW during a different free dining period, and noticed no decline.

I hope things haven't changed that much since last October.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    NOTE: Yes to the OP, the DDP has ruined the eateries. I eat lunch with many of the line cooks, and there is not one single say that someone doesn't complain about the food they have to prepare for the people. And, most of them are disgusted, because many went to cooking schools and want to serve great food.
    This obsession with food has me totally stumped. I love a GOOD meal, a MEMORABLE meal, but I don't think about eating 24/7.
    Can anyone tell me what Disney gains by offering the Free Dining? Is it just to fill rooms during a relatively slow time?
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

The dinning plan is only good for Disney it get family's into the resorts and then makes sure they stay there to use thier meals. The quality and portions are all changed. I would much rather get a room discount and pay for meals out of pocket. The way it use to be was much better eating were you wanted when you wanted. We never would even eat as much as the dinning plan offers now any ways.

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

Post Thanks / Like

yeh i agree with the no dining plan. we wont be getting it in the future. we will either rent points and cook or camp and cook; either way not eating on property but one or two meals for the places we really enjoy. The scary thing is the inconsistency. If you don't know what you are getting, EVER, then you never know whether or not you will be getting what you paid for. The free dining plan has definitely changed things. For example, 1900 park fare had 4 ice cream machines,each with two spickets. Two types of ice cream, double dutch chocolate and rocky road. No vanilla not swirl, no chocolate. There's def. more streamlining going on and lots of cuts on the food. Nope, I have lost interest. I don't even care anymore and 1900 park fare....the breakfast was horrible.. It tasted like airline food and I would not be suprised in the least if the eggs were powdered. They tasted powdered. We didn't enjoy either one of our meals there. I ended up sticking to the strawberry soup and dessert menu; in which we found one of the worst rice krispy treats EVER. The cereal was stale when they made it and i know this cause we make them a lot. If its stale it doesn't stick well, and then tastes most def. stale. GROSS! All this for $30.00 a head?
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Pluto View Post
    I'm so disappointed to hear the negative reviews or 1900 PF. We went there two years ago and thought it was fantastic. As a matter of fact, I just recommended it based on that experience in a different post. I was looking forward to going back there again but this is making me think twice. How disappointing.
    I would tell you to go ahead and give it a shot if I thought that maybe there were a chance you would be happy with one of the entrees they have there but all joking aside, I would choose someplace else to eat and sidestep the frustration this place will cause you on your trip. I really loved it last year and raved about it, so I feel your pain.
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I used to look at the food as another attraction to be enjoyed. The last couple of trips (which are getting farther and farther in between) the dining has been something to be endured.

Quality is definately not a priorty any longer.

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and I used to have just as much fun trying to plan where to eat as what parks to go to, but not anymore. Now we try to figure how much food we can bring into our room to toast/microwave.
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry you had so many disappointing meals. I also noticed the decline in the quality and variety of menu items since the DDP became available. It's disappointing since there used to be a lot of top notch meals to be had. Now there's a lot of over priced medicore meals with a good meal here or there. A couple of trips back we started eating at places that don't take the DDP (like Shulas or House of Blues) or just going off property all together.
    ~ Christine

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: