Quantcast A question from a hick...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default A question from a hick...

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but I have a taxi question.

We are having a late night dinner at Ohana, and plan to take a taxi back to Pop Century as we are unsure if the busses will still be running at that hour.

My question is: how do we get a cab at Poly? Do we call for it ourselves? Do we ask the front desk to call for it? Are there cabs milling about outside? Believe it or not, I am 35 years old and DH or I have never had to call for or ride in a taxi our whole lives! Also, there are 4 of us in the family, so someone would have to ride up front with the driver. Is he/she going to be Ok with this? Good Lord, I sound like a rube, lol...any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Gracey

Loyal WDW Fan Since 1983!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just go out the door, tell the staff outside you need a cab, and they will get one for you. They have a system and cabs waiting for guests on property. It will only take a few minutes. Don't forget to tip the bell/doorman who gets you the cab (a few bucks, nothing much), and then don't forget to tip the cab driver once you reach your destination on top of the fare he/she will charge you. No problem with someone riding up front, happens all the time. Usually, if someone ends up in front, it's the one in charge of payment. I would expect the fare to be between $12 and $25. They do charge one fare for the distance, and then add a charge per person for extra people in the car.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

If the Magic Kingdom is open when your are done with your dinner (including EMH and the after hours parties), you can hop on the Monorail to the MK and catch the bus back to Pop. Just a thought...

Otherwise, there is a cab stand in front of all the Hotels.
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

OR....you can take a bus to Downtown Disney from Poly and then switch there to a bus running to POP.....no cab at all....

just a thought...
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

If it's late and you've got tired kids, the taxi is well worth the money and the minimal effort it takes to get one vs shuffling around various forms of transportation.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

how do we get a cab at Poly?
    . . . cabs are staged about 500 yards from Poly entrance

Do we call for it ourselves?
    . . . the Bellman/Valet outside the front door can summon one for you

there are 4 of us in the family, so someone would have to ride up front with the driver.
    . . . no problem
    . . . just remember, pay the meter posted fare
    . . . there is no extra charge for the quantity of people in the taxi
    . . . an acceptable tip is 15% of the meter charge
    . . . most cabs take credit cards
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I'm with SignguyTom. Forget the cab and hop on the monorail!! Then just get onto the bus to Pop......
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

If MK is still open or just closed (within the hour) then there will be a bus available from MK. If not, the bell services will get you a cab. To find them, go out the front doors and walk straight to the curbside and there stand is just to the right or west side, (Can't miss it) when you get there.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

The DTD option is always open regardless of which parks are open. You can catch a Poly bus to DTD and transfer to a Pop bus. I believe the others are right in that the MK should be open and you can take the monorail or water taxi to MK and transfer to a Pop bus. The taxis are located back toward the bus stop when you exit the Great Ceremonial House main entrance.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Well..the MK is closing @ 8 PM, and our ressies are @ 9:30 at Ohanas-it was all they had. So we plan to take the monorail to Poly, have a drink @ the Tambu Lounge, and just relax until time for dinner.
    But I don't think the busses will still be running when we are finished with our meal.

I wonder...if we drove to MK that day, could we possibly ride the monorail back to the TTC from the Poly after dinner? Or does it shut down after the park closes as well? If the monorail is closed, is it possible to walk from the Poly to the TTC?

We may consider doing the DTD transfer as our kids aren't small, and we will be refreshed after our LOOONG wait for our table @ Ohanas...

Thanks all, for all the suggestions...

Post Thanks / Like

"I wonder...if we drove to MK that day, could we possibly ride the monorail back to the TTC from the Poly after dinner? Or does it shut down after the park closes as well? If the monorail is closed, is it possible to walk from the Poly to the TTC?"

Yes, there is a walkway from the Poly to the TTC.
    Of course if the trams were no longer operating you might have a bit of a hike from the TTC to your car, depending on where you park that morning. If you were going to take your car anyway you could always drive from MK (TTC) to the Poly. You're not supposed to park at a monorail resort all day while you tour MK but if you have dinner ressies you can certainly park there for several hours in the evening.
    BTW-- Hicks Rock

Post Thanks / Like

If you are kiling time anyway, and have a car:
    Why not go back to Pop Century earlier, get the car, and drive to the Polynesian for dinner, then drive back to Pop Century?

Although, if it was me: I vote for taking a bus to Downtown Disney after dinner and then transferring to Pop Century bus.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, my DH really likes the idea of walking via footpath back to the TTC after dinner (he likes walking)...I realize that the length of this little stroll will be determined by where we park that afternoon when we get to MK (we have a AAA Diamond Parking Pass-maybe we'll use that), but can anyone tell me how long we'll be walking along the path itself?

You guys have been so helpful, I REALLY appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MistressGracey View Post
    Ok, my DH really likes the idea of walking via footpath back to the TTC after dinner (he likes walking)...I realize that the length of this little stroll will be determined by where we park that afternoon when we get to MK (we have a AAA Diamond Parking Pass-maybe we'll use that), but can anyone tell me how long we'll be walking along the path itself?

It is a 5 to 10 minute walk to the TTC.
    Just a thought- if you are taking the car anyway, if you have the time, why don't you grab the car at MK lot, drive to poly and your car will be available in the lot after your dinner. or have your DH get the car while you enjoy tha ambiance of the Poly's lobby area (no lugging tired kids...)

I also disagree with the idea of the bus to DTD. Having stayed at the poly 2 years ago, the bus to DTD was quite a wait, followed by a 20 minute (or forever) ride to DTD & than catching a return bus to the resort, does not sound like fun at 10 PM or later with 2 kids. But hey thats just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MistressGracey View Post

Agree with PP-- think it took us about 10 mins but ending up in the concrete jungle is not the most appealing of the WDW strolls to me.
    Think I'd rather leave the car in the Poly parking lot and just wander around their property, walk on the sand, whatever. If you haven't seen the Grand Fla (or Contemporary) grounds you could also hop the resort mono-rail and explore another area before getting your car. We've never felt rushed to move the car after a dinner ressie.
    Whatever plan you adopt, enjoy the day!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andreallybadeggs View Post
    We've never felt rushed to move the car after a dinner ressie.
    They won't rush you but keep in mind that the pass that the Poly gate guard gives you only allows 3 hour parking if you aren't staying at the Poly. There is a security van that checks these things.

The walk back to TTC parking is about 10 minutes but I'd park in Poly lot. You'll love the grounds so take the extra time to enjoy them! Have a great time!
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: