Quantcast Why are Rental Cars so Expensive?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why are Rental Cars so Expensive?

I can't believe how expensive it is to rent a car!! We're looking at renting one at MCO from Oct 4th-10th and EVERYTHING is over $300!! Does anyone know why it's so steep? Is there anywhere I can look to get a good discount?
    See You Real Soon!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Rental car prices have been through the roof for sometime now. There are actually a few threads discussing it, but it seems to be attributed to a smaller fleet of cars, or something like that. Anyway, the prices will typically come down the closer you get to your date. Just check back frequently. I have a midsize car booked for 7 days for about $200 for next week. Yesterday I found that Payless drastically reduced their prices and I now have a midsize car for $112, taxes and all. Be patient and keep checking back!
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

Post Thanks / Like

1) Rental cars are more expensive because the car is more expensive.
    2) Auto companies used to sell/lease cars to rental companies.
    3) They were el-cheapo, just to be able to make car annual sales volumes.
    4) The car companies found out it was actually costing them money and sales
    . . . frequently, no profit on the rental units
    . . . too many used cars afterward, depressing use car sales
    . . . depressed used car sales made their new cars less attractive
    . . . people look for resale values when buying or leasing personal cars
    . . . a real vicious circle
    5) Now, the cars for rental fleets have less discounting.
    . . . the cars now cost more to the rental company
    . . . the customer now pays more
    . . . the cars are kept longer to get a financial return
    6) One further reason
    . . . car companies used to own all or a part of rental agencies *
    . . . they kept the rental prices low to attract business
    . . . car companies got out of rental agencies about three years ago

* Ford owned Hertz outright, GM had big stakes in Budget and National, Chrysler had a huge chunk of AVIS.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful when renting. My MIL called a company, got a "special" AAA total and made the reservation. When she picked up the car the "total" jumped $126! There are all sorts of extras that they don't tell you about over the phone...even if you ask...which she did.
    "You make me smile with my heart."
    • DH...almost every year growing up.
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR
    • April 2007-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2008-CSR---Never again!
    • Halloween 2010-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2012-Bonnet Creek:)

Post Thanks / Like

If you are staying onsite, my recommendation is to go with Enterprise near WDW. Just take DME to your resort and they will pick you up. You save a ton of cash by not having to pay the airport fees & taxes.
    "in darkness there is power"

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this happened in Orlando, but alot of local goverments have raised the taxes on rental cars to make up for the loss of tax revenues in other areas (like property taxes).
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

We were going to do DME but our problem is we have 2 young children and need to stop at a store on the way to the resort to pick up diapers and other things. The 'general stores' at DVC resorts don't have everything we need and are much more expensive then stopping at a Target or Wal-Mart close to the park. Our other problem is that we really don't want to have to lug both car seats through the airport so we were going to rent one. I'm not sure how much they are to rent but that will add to our total as well.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I don't think that renting at MCO is horribly expensive. We use National and got an emerald club card which anyone can get. I also bought an entertainment book that gives us a one day rental free so a 9 day mid size car rental ended up to be $204.00. When I first started pricing it they wanted 470.00 but I just kept checking and over the last few months it would drop some and now that we are only three weeks away I check every day. Last week the price dropped down $50.00

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
    We were going to do DME but our problem is we have 2 young children and need to stop at a store on the way to the resort to pick up diapers and other things. The 'general stores' at DVC resorts don't have everything we need and are much more expensive then stopping at a Target or Wal-Mart close to the park. Our other problem is that we really don't want to have to lug both car seats through the airport so we were going to rent one. I'm not sure how much they are to rent but that will add to our total as well.
    If you really only need a car to pick up some things for the kids, it would be much cheaper to have those items use ME and either 1).ship them yourself to the resort from home or 2). use a service like garden grocer or costco - order from them online and have it shipped to the resort.
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with the pp. Order from garden grocer online & have everything delivered to your resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post

I sent you a private message about rental car discounts......I hope it helps !

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of Magical Express. I know a majority on INTERCOT prefer to have a rental car, but I find the wasted time & money associated with a rental car not worth the convenience. I take much pride to be about to neogiate my way from my resort to anywhere in the World using Disney transportation. I would prefer the extra $300 in my pocket for gifts and extras!
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDisneyFan View Post
    I'm a big fan of Magical Express. I know a majority on INTERCOT prefer to have a rental car, but I find the wasted time & money associated with a rental car not worth the convenience. I take much pride to be about to neogiate my way from my resort to anywhere in the World using Disney transportation. I would prefer the extra $300 in my pocket for gifts and extras!
    Well said ....I completely agree. Utilizing Disney Transportation can be a headache but if you are able to be flexible/creative it doesn't have to be as bad as people make it sound. There is inconveniences on both sides of the isle but I'd rather keep my money.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I have a car rental for $16 a day from Payless car rental - Sep 23rd-27th. Originally it was $24 a day when I booked it, but I kept checking back periodically and would modify my reservation when the price went down.

I have always found rental cars cheaper in Orlando than any other place I have been to. I am sorry you are having trouble finding a good price. I always check Yahoo Travel for rental car prices.

I have done Disney Transportation several times, and it's good and efficient, but for us, we much rather have a rental car. So much easier to get around.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Share This Thread On Social Media: