Quantcast A way for Disney to accommodate character dining haters.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default A way for Disney to accommodate character dining haters.

I was just thinking...uh-oh...lol! What if hosts started asking guests if they would like a visit from the characters? If they do great, but if they don't they could put something on the table to let the characters know to stay away. Something like those plastic tents that have your order number on them at Chuckie Cheese, so the waiter can find your table while you are running around with the kids. It doesn't have to be something so large that it draws attention...just enough so the characters get the message and move on. The customer would be able to eat without having to stop to tell them no thank you, and the characters would have more time to visit people who want to see them.
    For the record...I would never have one on my table! I would want them there even if I was 90 years old!
    "You make me smile with my heart."
    • DH...almost every year growing up.
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR
    • April 2007-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2008-CSR---Never again!
    • Halloween 2010-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2012-Bonnet Creek:)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's even easier -- if you don't want character interaction, don't book a character meal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    It's even easier -- if you don't want character interaction, don't book a character meal.
    My thoughts as well. You wouldn't go to a dinner show if you expected to have a good conversation!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I would normally agree, but what if a person really likes the food but not the interaction? It's not like accommodating another customer would bother my meal.
    "You make me smile with my heart."
    • DH...almost every year growing up.
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR
    • April 2007-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2008-CSR---Never again!
    • Halloween 2010-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2012-Bonnet Creek:)

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I have to wade in on this one.

I am one of those people that are terrified of characters. Weird, yes and, no, I have no idea where it comes from, but just as bad as claustrophobia or any other fears. I have gone to the Royal Table and although it was very entertaining for the people at my table ~ it wasn't alot of fun for me. I do avoid them if I can, but when travelling with a bunch of people ~ sometimes you can't avoid it. I am going to try and stay in an inaccessible spot of the table and keep my head down if they come near. My DH is very helpful in 'protecting' me!

If given a choice, I will not go to those meals. If I do go, I think it's up to me to save myself.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

We've been at a number of character meals where it was obvious that a table wasn't interested in the characters.

We were actually pretty impressed, the characters and the handlers seemed to figure it out pretty quickly and just give the table a quick wave on the way by.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    We've been at a number of character meals where it was obvious that a table wasn't interested in the characters.

We were actually pretty impressed, the characters and the handlers seemed to figure it out pretty quickly and just give the table a quick wave on the way by.

This has been my experience as well - for both character meals & interactive places like WCC & Prime Time Cafe.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they can print little pictures of Pooh with red 'x's thru them for not participants....

2004-Allstar Movie
    2004-Allstar Movie
    2006-Allstar Movie- he proposed!!

2007-Allstar Movie
    2007- Allstar Music
    2008- September, December trip
    2009 June, Novemebr trip

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's very tough to read"
    M Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Said perfectly. No Brainer.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there have to be so few people who do not want character interaction that go to character meals that there's really no need to devise a system. It's easy enough to verbally express that you're not into it, and they're very understanding.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

for one thing, being at Disney, you have to expect some sort of character interaction.

but i do like the idea of a small placemat, or something if you don't want your meal disturbed.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys4ever View Post
    I would normally agree, but what if a person really likes the food but not the interaction? It's not like accommodating another customer would bother my meal.
    Good point. I love watching others enjoy the characters, but I'm not into that much myself. I also enjoy going to some places just for the food.

I do believe the characters are very understanding and can "read" people pretty well.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's easy

The characters respond to you - a quick wave and they're gone. If 'quick wave' is more than you're willing to do then you probably booked the wrong meal.

But you can always book LTT where you can experience the Disney Magic of factory made mac and cheese with characters.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: