Quantcast Tower of Terror...anyone recall the "original" version?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tower of Terror...anyone recall the "original" version?

This is probably an odd question, but I have to ask as there was a "black hole" in my past where I wasn't able to go to WDW for a few years.

Anyway, my parents lived in FL and had annual passes and went to DHS soon after ToT opened. My mom swears that you used to "stand up" for the ride and that there were no seats. Was there ever a version of ToT that you stood up to ride, versus being seated? I can't imagine you rode standing up, but I don't know if my mom is remembering something else and getting it mixed up with Tot.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

No, I'm pretty sure ToT has always been "seated". They used to have the big lap bars that restrained guests in the seats, and now they have seat belts in each seat. The original was kind of 'tame', too - up and down just once!! It's much more exciting now!

Post Thanks / Like

To the best of my knowledge, you've never stood up on ToT. There are plenty of free fall type attractions, though, where you do stand up so she might just be getting confused.

The only significant change to the cars in ToT that I'm aware of is when they went from lap bars to seat belts.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You have always sat down on Tower of Terror. Maybe she was thinking about the promotions of it?? For the ad/promotion for ToT they used to show a group of teens standing in the elevator looking around and when it "fell" a girls mickey mouse ears hat would come flying off.
    It is alot more fun now than it was when it first opened. You get a different experience everytime you ride it...you never know how many times you will "fall".
    Magic is everywhere if you know where to look!

Visiting Disneyland since 1969 & Walt Disney World since 1994!

Disney Fan since birth!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the replies! Yeah, I couldn't imagine that ToT was ever a stand-up ride. To be honest, I can't believe my mom ever rode it. She HATES heights and anything that drops you (she had a bad experience with the elevator at work), so I was surprised that my dad got her on ToT. They haven't gone to any other parks, so I have no idea what else at WDW she may be getting mixed up with ToT. But, she's also the one that told my then 9-year old daughter that Alien Encounter wasn't scarey.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemickey68 View Post
    Maybe she was thinking about the promotions of it?? For the ad/promotion for ToT they used to show a group of teens standing in the elevator looking around and when it "fell" a girls mickey mouse ears hat would come flying off.
    I agree.

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest difference is that in the original version your "elevator cabin" used to be thrust OUT of the ToT building...where the openings are now. They don't do that anymore.
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by WishingStar2006 View Post
    The biggest difference is that in the original version your "elevator cabin" used to be thrust OUT of the ToT building...where the openings are now. They don't do that anymore.
    Not following you at all here ... what do you mean?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    If you are saying that the 'cabin' used to pop out of the building through the openings in the facade, I have to respectfully disagree.

We've been riding ToT frequently since the time it opened, and the ride never had any such feature.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

my first and only time riding it in 1995, we were seated, and the car never was sent out of the elevator shaft.

glad to say i did it, but it aint happening again!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    If you are saying that the 'cabin' used to pop out of the building through the openings in the facade, I have to respectfully disagree.

We've been riding ToT frequently since the time it opened, and the ride never had any such feature.
    Maybe that poster was just being facetious. Like the poster that said the Stitch ride used to eject into a different area of the park.

I'm just thinking...
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

**mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Your mom's belief might have stemmed from the original commercials that used to run for the Tower of Terror and for a few years after. They showed people in the elevator, and dropping, all while standing up. This is, of course, just a marketing technique and it's not meant to represent the actual ride.

It's similar to the ad campaign they ran for Alien Encounter that showed the alien's claw bursting through the floor and other such things that never actually happened during the attraction.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

always been seated...used to have lapbars that were replaced by seatbelts however. other than that and the random sequences not much has changed since opening.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the ride has always been sit-down, never stand up. The advertising agency took a little creative license when they created the commercials and billboards, I guess in an effort to make it look scarier than it is. It's one of those little pet peeves of mine. I actually thought you stood up on the ride before my first time, and so I was a little disappointed when I found out that you actually sit.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Yeah, the ride has always been sit-down, never stand up. The advertising agency took a little creative license when they created the commercials and billboards, I guess in an effort to make it look scarier than it is. It's one of those little pet peeves of mine. I actually thought you stood up on the ride before my first time, and so I was a little disappointed when I found out that you actually sit.
    Me too. And I was for certain that the ride was nothing more than a souped up hydrolator. Imagine my surprise!

Post Thanks / Like

Back when it TOT opened, at the very end of your ride, you were shown another little video and Rod Serling talked about your trip to The Twilight Zone--however, since it happened immediately after you were just dropped through the tower, many guests were still laughing and/or discussing what happened and very few could hear what Rod said before the car doors opened to let you out.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, there is still that little video at the end. It hasn't changed as far as I know.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    always been seated...used to have lapbars that were replaced by seatbelts however. other than that and the random sequences not much has changed since opening.
    There have been a few other changes:

The effects in the drop shafts were added as part of TOT 4. That includes the ghosts, the lightning, the "false ending" video, and the burning rubber smell (which I don't know whether it's still working; I haven't noticed it in a while.)

Also, the image of the ride vehicle that passes across the eye in the 4th dimension used to be a snapshot of your ride vehicle, taken just after the breaking window at the first stop. Now it's a generic image, slightly blurred so it's hard to see that you're not in it.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Default spoiler alert!

Quote Originally Posted by joelkfla View Post
    There have been a few other changes:

The effects in the drop shafts were added as part of TOT 4. That includes the ghosts, the lightning, the "false ending" video, and the burning rubber smell (which I don't know whether it's still working; I haven't noticed it in a while.)

Also, the image of the ride vehicle that passes across the eye in the 4th dimension used to be a snapshot of your ride vehicle, taken just after the breaking window at the first stop. Now it's a generic image, slightly blurred so it's hard to see that you're not in it.
    that false ending video is one of the best features of a ride at DW... it's hard not to tell others in your party about that... we try not to so they can experience it for themselves.

we LOVE it that so much thought goes into the ride experience!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: