Quantcast zip ties on luggage

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default zip ties on luggage

In the past we have used zip ties on our luggage, not that they actually keep anyone out of the luggage, but we would know if it had been opened. When the airline or TSA opened one, they would always put a flyer inside saying that it had been opened and inspected. Is it still OK to do?
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

They will open them all, I see it everyday now. If it's locked they break the lock/seal/ziploc and run it thru the scanner/xray. You can do it if you choose but that's what they do in my airport.
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

SFTrny Guest

There are some locks that are "TSA compatible"....meaning that TSA can open the lock and relock it without breaking it. As a courtesy, TSA seems to always put a flyer in the luggage when they inspect it. I've used zip-ties as well.....sometimes they are cut, sometimes not.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by javamama View Post
    They will open them all, I see it everyday now. If it's locked they break the lock/seal/ziploc and run it thru the scanner/xray. You can do it if you choose but that's what they do in my airport.
    Not so.

The only time locks are cut or seals broken would be AFTER the bag has been scanned and something abnormal has been spotted on the x-ray image. If there's nothing unusual, the bag goes its merry way still secured.

And if you use a TSA approved lock, the bag is opened without damaging the lock, inspected, and relocked.

To answer the OP's original question, yes you can use zip ties for that purpose, but if it has to be cut to allow inspection, it will not be replaced.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    And if you use a TSA approved lock, the bag is opened without damaging the lock, inspected, and relocked.
    Not if you fly out of Newark. I've heard more stories about locks that were broken from friends/co-workers with flying out of Newark Airport that most people I know won't even spend the money on them anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice tip on the zip ties, I'll have to remember that.

According to the TSA's web-site:
    Checked baggage is luggage you check in at the ticket counter or curbside. It will not be accessible during your flight. Please refrain from locking your checked baggage or use a TSA Accepted & Recognized Lock. TSA is mandated by Federal law to screen 100% of checked baggage. If your baggage alarms and TSA cannot gain access to your checked bag, unrecognized locks may be broken. TSA will not reimburse passengers for unrecognized locks broken as a result of the security screening process.
    DO NOT pack the following items in your checked baggage:

• Jewelry
    • Cash
    • Laptop computers
    • Electronics
    • Fragile items (no matter how they are protected)

Below are a number of tips for packing your checked baggage:

• Don't put film in your checked baggage, as the screening equipment will damage it.
    • Pack shoes, boots, sneakers, and other footwear on top of other contents in your luggage.
    • Avoid over packing your bag so that the screener will be able to easily reseal your bag if it is opened for inspection. If possible, spread your contents over several bags. Check with your airline or travel agent for maximum weight limitations.
    • Avoid packing food and drink items in checked baggage.
    • Don't stack piles of books or documents on top of each other; spread them out within your baggage.
    • The following general packing tips apply to both carry-on and checked baggage:
    • Do NOT pack or bring prohibited items to the airport.
    • Put all undeveloped film and cameras with film in your carry-on baggage. If your bag will pass through the X-ray machine more than five (5) times ask for a hand inspection to prevent damage.
    • LABEL your laptop computer. Tape a business card or other identifying information beneath your laptop to avoid loss or the accidental "exchange" by other passengers.
    • Check ahead of time with your airline or travel agent to determine the airline's baggage policy, including number of pieces you can bring and size and weight limitations.
    • Carry-on baggage is limited to one carry-on bag plus one personal item. Personal items include laptops, purses, small backpacks, briefcases, or camera cases. Remember, 1+1.
    • Don't forget to place identification tags with your name, address and phone number on all of your baggage, including your laptop computer. It is a good idea to place an identification tag inside your baggage as well.
    • Avoid over packing so that your articles don't spill out if your bag is opened for inspection.
    • Think carefully about the personal items you place in your carry-on baggage. The screeners may have to open your bag and examine its contents.
    • Place your personal belongings in clear plastic bags to reduce the chance that a TSA screener will have to handle them.
    • Wait to wrap your gifts. Be aware that wrapped gifts may need to be opened for inspection.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

lockedoutlogic Guest

I've seen this debate before...and i gotta ask:

Does anyone really want what's in your luggage? Stop and ask yourself....

I understand that theft in tourist spots is a recurring issue....but i'm not sure you need to waste the anguish on "devious" airline screeners and baggage handlers.

Post Thanks / Like

My two cents: Just because they are "TSA-approved" locks doesn't mean security won't break them. My DH has already had two TSA-approved locks broken on his luggage. I'm sure it's to save time and keep things moving, but why say they're TSA-approved locks in the first place?

I keep telling DH it's not worth the cost or the aggravation. He's paranoid about someone stealing something valuable out of his luggage, but I say a lock obviously won't hold anyone back. Plus, my theory is that if someone sees a lock, they may take that to mean something is valuable in there. Or the passenger is trying to hide something.

So the best thing to do is to carry on any valuable items and keep them with you vs. packing those items in checked baggage.
    **mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I learned the hard way that even the appearance of a lock on a bag will cause them to "break in." I had a small padlock hooked through the loop on one side of the zipper but not the other side. My plan was that the lock would be there when I arrived and I could lock it at that time.

WRONG!! Obviously they saw the lock but did not take the time to look to see if the suitcase itself was actually locked so they went ahead and cut the lock off anyway. Sure, I got a nice flyer explaining what happened but my lock was ruined! Needless to say, in the future if I want to do that I will take the lock with me in my carry on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I learned the hard way that even the appearance of a lock on a bag will cause them to "break in." I had a small padlock hooked through the loop on one side of the zipper but not the other side. My plan was that the lock would be there when I arrived and I could lock it at that time.

WRONG!! Obviously they saw the lock but did not take the time to look to see if the suitcase itself was actually locked so they went ahead and cut the lock off anyway. Sure, I got a nice flyer explaining what happened but my lock was ruined! Needless to say, in the future if I want to do that I will take the lock with me in my carry on!

I had something similar happen, but worse. Even though the lock was only attached to one zipper pull on a duffel, rather than cut the lock itself off, they clipped the zipper pull. So now the entire bag is ruined for locking.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

Luggage is so easy to break into, whether or not there is a lock. I recently saw a video where a person inserted something like a small screwdriver into the zipper itself separating it, and then just unzipped it with a lock still on it. And then, then just zipped it back up when they were done.

Rule of thumb....never put anything you can't or don't want to lose in a checked bag. We never do.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

We have used the zip ties/cable ties for years now. It is mainly to keep the suitcases closed as anyone can get into your suitcase if they really want to. Security has only cut off the tie when a bag has been inspected. All other bags have been intact. The message has been out for years not to lock your suitcase with locks as they will just break them. The zip ties are cheap and work great. We pack a little pair of scissors along with many extra ties in the front pocket of one of the suitcases so that we can cut the ties off when we arrive at our destination. This has worked for us for years now.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

In recent years I have used the TSA approved locks and have had no problem with them. Also the locks I have show a red "flag" when the lock has been open by TSA and only I can reset the flag. If you can find locks like these I think they are worth the money.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    In recent years I have used the TSA approved locks and have had no problem with them. Also the locks I have show a red "flag" when the lock has been open by TSA and only I can reset the flag. If you can find locks like these I think they are worth the money.
    We got the same kind of locks, and never had any problems with them either. We only used them a few times, then started driving to WDW (we just got so sick of flying and the circus that goes along with it).

There was a note that came with our locks stating that if they were ever cut off by TSA, they would be replaced free of charge.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: