Quantcast Off property

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Off property

Post Thanks / Like

Default Off property

Just stayed 10 days off property. I know some of you REAL Disneyphiles would never even consider it, but for the rest of you...

For less than the price of a Moderate resort, just 1.5 miles off of property I stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, each bedroom with a full bath, the master had an in room jacuuzi, also a living room, dining area and full kitchen, and a screened in porch. The pool was well landscaped and had a slide, no lifeguards though. The room and resort was just as clean as a Disney resort. They had a free shuttle, but I hate relying on free transportaion, even in Disney, and therfor always rent a car. From my room to having my feet on the otherside of the turnstyle in Epcot was 15 minutes, you cant do that in many on property resorts. Im not sure if Im allowed to give the hotel name, or more details. Its defiantely something to consider, I stayed with my wife and 6 year old daughter and we all had our own space, it was great.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay off-site! Sounds like a lovely place. Lots of room to really spread out.

For DH and I, half of the vacation is staying on-site. We love being just a monorail ride away from Epcot or MK. It really does make things so easy, especially if we want to relax at the resort in the afternoon for a little while. We do tend to spend more time at the resort than others might.

We don't want to touch a car while on vacation, so even a short drive is something we don't want to every day, or even once, during the trip. We park our car (we drive down), and don't touch it for the entire trip. While we wouldn't have to pay to park at hte parks, off-site guests (if not AP holders), do have to pay everyday to park.

There is no way I'll cook, or even pour a bowl of cereal on vacation. I want to be pampered! So, a kitchen is pretty much worthless to us! As for the extra room...since it's just the two of us, a bed, a chair, and the balcony is all we need to stretch out and relax.

But, everyone is different. That's why it's great that there are excellent off-site options available. We know we could save money, but we prefer to be just across Seven Seas Lagoon from the magic!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you do have to consider its $12.00 a day to park in the world, its good at all the parks for the whole day. You should add that to the expense.

I have stayed in nearly every hotel on the property and decided to try off property because the last time I satyed in a Deluxe for $300+ per night, I felt like I didnt get $300+ worth of pampering. Disney is the same staright across, even at the value resorts for under $100 the employess are all nice, the rooms are always clean and sufficiently spacious. The more you pay in Disney your biggest gain is easier access to the parks. (I know there are other pluses like a pool slide etc).

This trip I really felt like I saved some money, gained some amenities would never have had in Disney, and was still closer to most of the "Magic" than many on property (i.e. Pop century which is way in left field). But its not for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

This trip I really felt like I saved some money, gained some amenities would never have had in Disney, and was still closer to most of the "Magic" than many on property (i.e. Pop century which is way in left field). But its not for everyone.
    We love staying off-site for all these reasons. To us, staying in a small room where we have to share beds and don't have a fridge or microwave for leftovers is just not very magical. I know many people disagree, but in my opinion, some people (not here) seem almost threatened by the fact that we prefer offsite, which makes no sense to me, and follow my explanation of why we enjoy offsite with a laundry list of why onsite is best. I just don't get it--if they like onsite, and I prefer offsite, that just means more room for them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinnerf View Post
    Im not sure if Im allowed to give the hotel name, or more details. Its defiantely something to consider, I stayed with my wife and 6 year old daughter and we all had our own space, it was great.
    If your allowed to post the name here, I'm definitely interested.

Staying on property is nice and all, but it's very expensive when you have four kids. Our cheapest option is to rent two value resort rooms, which isn't really inexpensive at all. I'd rather save money on my hotel room and have more spending $$, kwim? So hearing suggestions on nice off-property hotels that are accomodating to "big" families is very, very helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad to hear this. We are going in October and staying at Windsor Palms (offsite condo), and I'm very nervous about staying offsite.

I'd love to hear more about where you stayed.

Thanks so much for posting this information!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa at Caribe Royale which is on World center drive. It is past the Nickelodeon hotel and the Giant Marriott. 2 traffic lights from disney property. We paid $150 per night, this hotel releases a new room deal evry Weds I believe so check their website.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard from others how much they loved Caribe Royal, too. I've been to their site before, and the pictures of the rooms look very nice.

Again, if off-site were appealing to us, this place would be at the top of the list. Very, very nice.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for this, I am going to look into this hotel. I have 3 boys and while I love Disney properties offsite works better for us.

Post Thanks / Like

I've said it many times before. When we can, we stay on property. But there have been times when we are bringing along friends and other family and simply can't afford Disney lodging prices. Give me the Poly, the POFQ, even the POP for a price our group can afford and we'll take it. But I believe we are now up to 7 off property trips to WDW. They were all wonderful
    and we got home with a dollar or two left in our wallets.

Post Thanks / Like

1) If you could get these in one resort, is it worth going off-site?
    . . . Studio, 1bdrm, 2bdrm and 3brm units
    . . . Two championship golf courses
    . . . Two walking golf courses, one lighted for night play
    . . . Home of McCord Golf Academy (Top-25 golf schools)
    . . . 80-acre lake
    . . . Sailing
    . . . Jet-skis
    . . . Beach Volleyball, including tournaments
    . . . Tennis, including tournaments
    . . . Basketball, including tournaments
    . . . Putt-Putt, including tournaments
    . . . Olympic Pool
    . . . Party Pool, with entertainment stage
    . . . Five satellite pools
    . . . Several hot tubs
    . . . Daily pool games for kids and adults
    . . . Rental cabanas
    . . . Daily Afternoon Bingo
    . . . Daily arts and crafts
    . . . Internet Cafe
    . . . Nightly themed parties (luau, BBQ, Beach Party, etc)
    . . . Karaoke
    . . . Water parks, with Lazy River Rafts
    . . . Game and arcade room
    . . . Free Movie Theater
    . . . Pool or Beach party nightly (except Sunday)
    . . . Planned family activities from 9:00am thru 6:00pm
    . . . Arts and crafts, daily
    . . . Daily adult and child exercise activities
    . . . Daily adult and child water exercise acitivites
    . . . Activities for kids under 12
    . . . Activities for kids 12-18
    . . . Nightly Cocktail Cruise on the lake
    . . . Several on-site full serice restaurants and quick service resturants
    2) We think so.
    3) Disney has nothing to rival such resort activities.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Im all for doing what you find you like. The one thing I noticed in your post is that you always rent a car and then you said it was 15 min to Epcot from your off site hotel a time that beat some Disney Resorts. So are you saying that with your own car at those disney resorts it would take longer then 15 min or are you comparing car time to bus time.
    Kim & Danelle

August 2000 - All Star Movies
    August 2001 - All Star Music
    August 2005 - All Star Movies & Pop Century
    May 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
    September 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KayDee View Post
    So are you saying that with your own car at those disney resorts it would take longer then 15 min or are you comparing car time to bus time.
    I am comparing car time to car time, buses are slow. (I took buses in the world only once when I had broken my leg and couldnt drive). I was physically closer to some theme parks than some guests on Disney Property. And remember that 15 minutes includes paying for parking, parking, and walking through the gate (past security). ON a previous visit it took about the same amont of time from POFQ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) If you could get these in one resort, is it worth going off-site?
    2) We think so.
    3) Disney has nothing to rival such resort activities.
    You make a great point as always.

But... the golf course was as accessible to me as it would be on disney property, is there actualy a resort right on the golf course? Shades of Green I know, but not all can stay there.

5 pools? thats because the size of many resorts are the size of many small cities. The reosrt I stayed at had 2 pools, one themed and one "quiet" pool.

Many of the activities you listed are $$$ or need reservations and many are just as accesible to those off site as those on. Game room and excersise alll resorts have those.

There is no denying WDW has loads to offer, thats why the off-site hotels exist, thats why I vacation there. If you want more for your money and to have a room that is just as good if not better and just as clean, off site is a great option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinnerf View Post
    There is no denying WDW has loads to offer, thats why the off-site hotels exist, thats why I vacation there. If you want more for your money and to have a room that is just as good if not better and just as clean, off site is a great option.
    1) Maybe my post wasn't clear.
    2) The question was "if you had these, is it worth off-site?".
    3) The answer I posed was yes.
    4) I am all in favor of off-site.
    5) Those activities I listed ARE NOT available at any WDW resort.
    6) Where they are available at an off-site resort.
    7) So, the point is, sometimes off-site is better than on-site.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a great time!!

For me though I feel like I save money by not renting a car...paying for gas. Going during free dining so I don't need to pay for food and come on let's face it I will not lift a finger in the kitchen while on vacation.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Share This Thread On Social Media: