Quantcast Las Vegas & Grand Canyon

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Las Vegas & Grand Canyon

skipping WDW for a while.
    hitting Vegas (which ive been to but its been a few yrs ) and maybe driving to the Grand Canyon. Ive never been. any suggestions on where to stay for a night at the Canyon, if i can do it for a day or so then back to Vegas?
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure when you're going to Vegas (and the Grand Canyon), but if you can get book a night at one of the canyon lodges on the South Rim, it would be ideal. We have always heard wonderful things about Bright Angel Lodge and El Tovar, of course, if you want to splurge (we have only stayed at the lodge on the North Rim, which is fantastic). Trouble is that the Xanterra (the concessionaire who runs the lodging for the National Park Service) lodges are always booked up very early. I think you probably have to book 9-12 months in advance for the summer. It probably isn't as much of a problem in winter.

Also, Williams (AZ) is just an hour away from the Grand Canyon on Route 66 and the accommodations there are less expensive.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this is something you would want to consider, but we did a tour that was offered thru our hotel in Vegas. It was all day excursion. We left early in the morning and had plenty of time for site seeing at the canyon. We also stopped at Hoover Dam. They gave us snacks and provided lunch at the GC. It was awesome. Just another suggestion Have a great time!!!
    Lisa
    November 2013 GF
    September /October 2012 AoA
    August 2012 Pop
    November 2011 PORFQ
    May 2010 WL
    October / November 2008 PORFQ
    August 2007 PORFQ
    July 2006 WL
    October 2005 Pop
    August 2004 POR FQ
    October 2003 ASM
    June 2000 CS
    July 1999 CB
    May 1997 Off site
    June 1996 POR FQ

Post Thanks / Like

thanks.
    Im going next month. I did look at some of the lodging inside the Canyon & right outside...expensive.
    also saw about some of the tours. so i have to decide whether to go to Vegas for like 3 nights, rent a car & go to the Canyon for 2nights then back to Vegas for 2, or just stay in Vegas the wk & take the bus tour.
    looking at $$ etc.
    Im going to arrive on a Tues & leave the next Tues. Ive seen some good deals on Vegas rooms, especially w Harrahs properties which i have just a few credits built up with.
    it might be cheaper to do the tour, but thats not much time spent at the Canyon. so i have to think about it more.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Canyon

I suggest allowing more time to see the GC. Unless you are just doing this to put a notch on your belt (or line through "seeing GC" on your bucket list LOL), you will want to explore along the South Rim, maybe even walk along the rim for a while. Also, there are indoor exhibits which will take time. In other words, don't allow just a few hours here.

As mentioned, those bus tours are ideal for the casual & carless tourist but don't allow much time actually at the GC. Also, driving there and back in one day would be exhausting! We haven't made that drive in a few years, but when we did, there was beavy security at the Hoover Dam (checkpoints to examine each vehicle, etc) which made the drive much longer than Mapquest would show.

I suggest staying a few nights in LV, moving to the GC for a few nights, then back to LV for the final few nights. This way, you get to try out two different LV hotels; maybe ones at opposite ends of the strip or one a splurge (just to try it!) and then a cheap off-strip place to crash before the flight home.

Rooms in the NP itself do book quickly, but you may find a last minute cancellation. Or stay at one of the motels right outside the park.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the all day bus tour from Las vegas to The Grand canyon a few years back. It was very exhausting. I could not wait to get off that bus.

The Grand Canyon was beautiful. I hope to take a helicopter tour next time in Las Vegas.

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon last year.

If you are staying at the South Rim where most of the hotels are located it is a 5 hour drive (one way) so NO it is not a day trip.

So many people just go for a day to other parts of the Canyon but there is so much to do at the South Rim I suggest at least three days.

We stayed at the El Tovar Hotel and it was absolutely wonderful. It is right on the rim. It was so cool to look outside and see the canyon from the hotel. The wildlife there came up to our room balcony every night.

This is something everyone should see if possible. It is worth it to skipping Florida for a year to see it.

One thing...the rim hotels book at least one year in advance so planning is a must.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

thanks again.
    Im still looking at all the options.
    if i can find a decent rental car rate for 2 days and a place to stay, may do the 3 nights Vegas, 2 Canyon,2 Vegas stay.
    some of the Canyon places are a little pricey, but comparable to DIsney places so Ill think of it in that respect.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get a place try to stay on the rim. I think our room at the El Tovar was something like $230 per night. Believe me you won't be sorry the view is beyond words.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

You really need at least one full day. The best option (though expensive) is an overnight in the park so you can get the sunset one day and the sunrise the next day. If that's too expensive, consider Williams or Flagstaff (Flagstaff has several other nice, smaller attractions), both are an easy drive over to the park. If you don't stay in the park, plan to arrive early (you can purchase the entrance pass in Williams--which will speed up entry). The best touring is early and later in the day--early afternoon will have the most crowds as the bus tours from Las Vegas and the train from Willaims arrive and a flood of visitors hit the main south rim sites, but they only stay for a few hours before they go back (some guests on the train stay overnight). Check the Park's web site for the road restrictions when you will be there, some of the most scenic areas and trails require taking a shuttle bus from the central visitor area. Hoover Dam is sort of on the way and is worth a visit.
    Last edited by BowTie7; 08-18-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: correction of spelling

Post Thanks / Like

My wif & I did this trip 10yrs ago (aka before the kids). Flew into Vegas stayed over night at NY NY (could have used another day by the pool). Rented a Mustang convertable and drove to the South Rim. Stayed at a beautiful Best Western just outside the front gate. We did day hikes - one big one down the bright Angel Trail (took 9 hrs). Then we drove north around the Canyon through the painted desert up to Xion National Park in Utah, We hiked the Narrows (just beautiful) and then drove back to Vegas. We still talk about that trip fondly and want to do it again once these darned kids get a little bigger. Maybe a raft through the Canyon next time.

Post Thanks / Like

saw a car rental rate for $40+ for 2 day. add in the cost of gas and lodging.
    there is also a good rate for a bus tour for a day. and the tour company also does a Hollywood tour from Vegas.
    so Im adding up the costs and will decide soon.
    i do appreciate all the feedback
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMB View Post
    I did the all day bus tour from Las vegas to The Grand canyon a few years back. It was very exhausting. I could not wait to get off that bus.
    I second this. We did a bus tour few years ago as well and will NEVER do it again. More time trapped on the bus than getting to see the Canyon. It was a good 'first taste', but I really would like to go back and stay over night at least at one of the lodges.
    Next Trip: 2019-Yacht Club
    Resorts Stayed At Since 1994
    :
    Yacht Club (9 times)
    Beach Club (10 times)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge (1 time)
    Caribbean Beach (3 times)
    Dixie Landings (1 time)
    Contemporary Resort (1 time)

1987 Disney Music Days-Marched in EPCOT!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    saw a car rental rate for $40+ for 2 day. add in the cost of gas and lodging.
    there is also a good rate for a bus tour for a day. and the tour company also does a Hollywood tour from Vegas.
    so Im adding up the costs and will decide soon.
    i do appreciate all the feedback
    Hollywood from Vegas is another 4 to 5 hour drive one way through the Mojave Desert. I would not recommend taking a tour to Hollywood from Vegas. We just got back on Friday from a Vegas, Los Angeles, Anaheim 18 night trip. We spent 5 nights in Vegas at the Mandalay Bay Resort. Nice hotel, but I found it a little too far down the strip, especially in Aug weather = HOT. Then 5 nights at the Universal Hilton Hotel at Universal Studios. Another really nice hotel which was close to the metro (subway) we found out on our 2nd last day. You can get everywhere on that Metro system. It took us maybe 5 minutes to get from the Metro station at Universal to Graumans Chinese theatre at 5:30 pm. Went to see the Red Carpet arrivals for the premier of Brad Pitts new movie. That was FUN!
    We rented our car through Costco online and got a great deal with Alamo for $130.00 week for a mid size SUV (RAV4)
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    my latest thought is driving from Vegas to the Canyon then to Zion Ntl Park in Utah and back to Vegas. but not sure if i can in 2 days or if that would b pushing it
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    my latest thought is driving from Vegas to the Canyon then to Zion Ntl Park in Utah and back to Vegas. but not sure if i can in 2 days or if that would b pushing it
    Although you may be able to drive it in two days, I don't think you could see much.
    Check out Walnut Canyon and Sunset Crater over by Flagstaff. These are two short, but very pretty stops. There are also lots of Pueblo Indaian ruins on the way to GC.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zion and Bryce

thanks
    I think you're trying to do too much. You can certainly drive that long loop around the GC to see several parks, but you'll only be seeing them through the car window as you speed by (if you only allow two days). On this trip, pick the GC (it's spectacular, although the other parks are also wonderful). Give yourself a chance to get out and walk around, take pictures, hike or walk a little, visit the museums, listen to a ranger talk, etc.

Plan a second trip (maybe in a couple of years) to fly to LV (usually not too expensive from our area), rent a car and go north to Zion and Bryce (there are great places to stay right outside of Zion). We've also flown to LV, rented a car and driven west into CA to do Yosemite, Sequoia and Death Valley. Always returning to LV to fly home (to Philly).

Whatever you do, I'm relieved your getting out of LV; too many people only stay there and never see our wonderful National Parks.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    While you would be physically able to drive that route in 2 days, I would definitely not recommend it. It would be exhausting and you would get to see very little of the beautiful sights around you.

We did a very similar route some years back, driving from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon (we actually did a side trip to Sedona for a few days too). We just toured for a few hours at the South Rim, then drove east around the canyon and up to the North Rim Lodge, where we spent a few days also. Then drove up to Zion (stayed at a fabulous hotel in Springdale, the Desert Pearl Inn) for two nights and back to Las Vegas. We actually wish we could have stayed at least a couple more days at Zion, it was that pretty. So I agree with the other poster, that this is a trip to do when you can spend some time at each of your destinations.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    All you will get to do is drive. There will be no time to see anything. To just do the Grand Canyon you need at least 3 days unless you are just planning on stopping there for 30 mins to glance at it and leave.

My sugesstion (since it doesn't seem that you have alot of time) is to either go to Vegas or go to the Grand Canyon. Maybe you should make these two separate trips.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the suggestions.
    today Im lookin at still hitting VegasTues-THurs night, leaving early Friday for 5 hr or so drive to canyon, staying there a night, then driving to Kanab Utah approx 3 hrs for a night, then thru Zion Natl Park & back to Vegas (about 3 hrs) for 2 more nights. I figure that would give us about 5-6 hrs in the Canyon the first day, whatever time spent the next day before the drive to Utah, then Zion for few hrs and Vegas.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM