Quantcast when you were younger...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default when you were younger...

when you were younger do you remember standing in a line for a ride and being worried about it and freaking out, but once you got on the ride, it was perfectly fine?

tell your stories

for me it was MS & HM
    Trip count 55 =]

Dead men tell no tales

"Now some person I don't even know reminds me there's no eating, drinking, smoking, or flash photography allowed in my dream." - Ellen, Universe of Energy

"Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas..."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it was Space mnt. Some people getting off the ride were telling their non riding family members how bad the ride was, and how lucky they were that they didn't go on (had me totally freaked out). About a year or two later, we were on the TTA, the lights were on inside SM and ever since then I've loved the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. But that was only 10 years ago when I was a young 37 or so..... Waiting in line for RnRc, feeling my heart beat...watching the limo dart off, listening to the screaming.....knowing it was dark..... Yep....now it's a MUST on every trip, several times...not in a row though..
    2015 March YC, Oct BW, Dec YC
    2014 POR, BW
    2013 April POR
    2011 July DisneyLand
    2010 July Disneyland
    2010, April - Poly, Club Level
    2009, August - Poly 25th Wedding Anniv!
    2008 - November GF, April CB
    2007 - April, CB
    2005 - June - offsite
    2004 - June - WL
    2003 back to 1979

Post Thanks / Like

who needs to be young...up until last year I was scared to death of RNR!! Just the thought of going upside down in the dark at 60 miles per hour gave me a racing stripe. This past June, I gave in and went on it 5 times...twice in a row!!
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

I have two:

I remember crying my eyes out while in line for haunted mansion at age 4, BUT LOVING IT.

and

when i was about 14 seeing the rock'n roller coaster limos take off. i almost used the chcked exit! lol

i loved both rides!
    "Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" - Jason Lee as Brodie Bruce in "MALLRATS"!

RESORTS STAYED AT:
    Old Key West
    Dixie Landings (yeah, I'm old school)
    Beach Club Villas
    Caribbean Beach
    All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

It would have to be RnRC for me too. My palms used to get really clammy and then i would start to sweat lol.. Now i love it
    Next up CBR 10/31-11/8

Keep Moving Forward!!!

Post Thanks / Like

On my first trip, when I was 9, I was terrified of HM. Not the ride portion but the stretching room. When I heard Master Gracey say there was no way out, I started to cry my eyes out (I hate stuffy places where you can't move, but now, in the stretching room, I'm fine! )LOL
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I was more fearless when I was young, I think! Anyway, there were two rides that my heart was in my throat about that first time, and that was when I was *older*.

One was Mission: Space and the other was Tower or Terror (don't ask me why--I guess it was in anticipation of that first unexpected drop!)
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was young?? HA! I remember doing this last year on my first ride on Expedition Everest!

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I was so scared the first time I was in line for Space Mountain. I REALLY did not want to ride. My dad told me to just try it. There is an exit halfway through the ride and if I didn't like it, I didn't have to ride the whole thing. When we get to the "halfway exit" everybody is getting out of the rocket. I loved it! I wanted to ride the WHOLE ride. It was only then that my parents told me this was the REAL exit, they lied about a half exit, and I had ridden the whole ride. They tricked me and I was so glad!

BTW- My daughter got to ride SM for the first time this year. She was scared when we got to the split in the line. That's when a sweet CM choose her (and us) to go into mission control. IT WAS SO COOL! She saw how the ride worked and even got to pick her seat in the rocket. All the way in front of course! She had no fear now. They even wished her a good flight over the speakers as we were climbing to blast off!
    Now we both have a special 1st Space Mountian ride story!
    There is just one moon and one golden sun. And a smile means friendship to everyone.

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Erm......Country Bear Jamboree.

It was those animal heads on the wall! Those always creeped me out when I was younger and these ones looked real! I went here on our first visit (age 8) and found them creepy, when we returned (age 11) I didn't want to go in because I knew they would be there. I enjoyed it in the end though.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

i remember my dad telling me when i was afraid to go on space mountain to look around...to look at how many people were picking up trash, etc....and if they cared that much about how clean the park was and that if they cared to pick up a little piece of gum wrapper before it even hits the floor...then they really cared about humans and would never let anything hurt you....that helped.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I was 6 years old on my 1st trip to WDW.

We were in line for BTMR, and I just kept looking out to the ride while standing in the queue, and was so afraid! I started crying and saying I couldn't go on. A little girl that was behind us in line (probably about the same age as me), came up to me and said "don't cry, its not scary, its really fun..you are gonna like it." So I went on and loved it!! I'll never forget that moment!

Did the same thing when TOT first opened. I would not step foot on that ride, I went through the line with my sister and Mom and had a CM take me to the chicken exit! I was so scared. Then I finally went on and again, LOVED it!

I look back and laugh about it now. Both are my favorite rides!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

A few, actually.

The first one was Space Mountain, because the music. The music STILL freaks me out today, but there's no way that's going to stop me!

I remember having to be dragged onto Splash the first time--I'm not a big drop fan. But the Splash drop is much more fun than scary!

The last is ToT, which goes back to my fear of drops. That one still takes a bit of convincing to go on, but afterwards I look back and see that I enjoyed it.
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

As a child I was scared to go on 20,000 leagues because it went underwater and I knew there was a giant squid out to get me.

In more recent times I am always a mess while waiting to get on Splash because I always dread the drop into the briar patch but once it's over I can't wait to get back in line.
    ~*~ Debbie ~*~
    *1 in 160 children will be diagnosed with Autism. I'm proud to say two are mine.*

Post Thanks / Like

when i was younger!!??heck,i recall being really
    let's call nervously anxious the first time i was in line for my now beloved tower of terror..(9 yrs ago/mid 30's)
    i remember thinking for every floor we go up..
    we must come down...still,after at least 20 rides later,as the ride car is moving towards the "drop zone" i still think to myself,i can't believe i'm doing this voluntarily!!when it's over i can't wait to do it again

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see...I actually backed out of my first opportunity to get on ToT at age 44. Got on it, finally, last September at the ripe old age of 46.

I'm one of those that, no matter how many times I have already ridden, still gets butterflies before any ride that has a significant drop or significant speed. I try not to let it stop me though. (One exception -- Summit Plummet at BB!!!! You will NOT get me on that!!)

Post Thanks / Like

About four years ago, I chickened out of Soarin' (pathetic, I know). I then tried it 2 1/2 years ago and loved it. I just turned 40 last month. I haven't tried ToT yet. I chickened out for my 1997 and 2005 trips, I was pregnant during our 2007 trip and we didn't even go to DHS in December. But I'll do it the next time we hit that park. I can safely say that I will never do M:S.
    Last edited by diz_girl; 08-07-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

my mom claims i was nervous about the witch on snow white but i dont remember

I remember being nervous about riding splash mountain, space mountain, thunder mountain, and tower of terror for the first time
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

I hopped on Space Mountain and Big Thunder perfectly fine, but it took my dad twenty minutes to talk me into Splash when we went for it's opening in WDW.

It became my favorite ride and I rode it about fifteen times in a row after that (I had surgery for my club feet right before I went, so I was in a wheelchair which sped things up, even though I had to put a trashbag over my cast.)

I guess the exterior is more dramatic, since the "worst" part of the ride is so visible.

When I went on Haunted Mansion I was about 2 1/2 or 3 years old and I got on it fine, with only a little urging from my parents (and promises that I could sit between them,) and I was comfortable with all the spooky stuff. Or I was until the graveyard scene where the heads pop up at you.

I had been biting my bottom lip, a bad habit that I have continued to this day, and when one of the heads popped up I ducked down and hit my chin on the lap bar, causing me to bite through my lip. I didn't know what had happened until we got to the hitchhiking ghost scene and my parents freaked out, since I was coated in blood (though it didn't hurt.)

I am sure I scared more than a few people marching off of the ride covered in blood, but I was fine, and at the nearest cart I got a Mickey head ice cream and in the nearest store I got to pick out a new hot pink Cinderella shirt, while my mom attempted to wash my other one under the sink in the bathroom.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: