Quantcast Philadelphia airport

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Philadelphia airport

So I'm going to Minnesota with my boyfriends family and leaving on a Saturday afternoon. They are planning on us leaving West Chester at 11:45 to make a 1:35 flight... We aren't checking any bags but even so, do we have a prayer of making the flight? Unfortunately I don't get to help in the planning process to influence anything, I'm just curious.

Thanks!!!!!
    Star light, star bright,
    first star I see tonight.
    I wish I may, I wish I might,
    have the wish, I wish tonight.
    We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,
    and all our wishes,
    will come true.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, you are leaving on a weekend, you still need to go through security. ON weekeneds they say leave about 1 1/2- 2 hours to check in and go through security. I don't think you will make it. Why are they cutting it so close? Did they give you a reason?
    Janet

Aug 2005 CBR
    Aug 2007 POR
    Aug 2009 AKL 2 bedroom Villas Can't wait to wake up with the animals!!!
    Aug 2010 AkL 2 Bedroom Villas

Post Thanks / Like

how long of a drive is it to the airport and do you have to park a car or catch a shuttle?
    Next Visit: Fall 2013

Now approaching the Carousel of Progress

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers?? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements, may be made at the end of the tour.

Post Thanks / Like

No, no reason given. We have the option of checking in online but I don't know if that will happen. I'm told it will be a 35 minute drive to the airport then I assume we will have to takes shuttle to the main terminal. On the plus side, we aren't checking any bags but US Airways closes boarding check in or whatever half an hour before the flight so at 1:05. So does that mean we have to be at the gate by 1?
    Star light, star bright,
    first star I see tonight.
    I wish I may, I wish I might,
    have the wish, I wish tonight.
    We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,
    and all our wishes,
    will come true.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are busy, it could take you 45 minutes to get through security. Plus there could be a lot of traffic getting to the airport. We allow a good 3 hours to leave our house until the flight leaves.

Post Thanks / Like

Default parking?

If this family intends to drive themselves and park in the longterm lot (which would then require catching a shuttle bus to the terminal), I would suggest that you strongly request that all of you (except the driver LOL) be dropped off at the terminal first. Say something about getting started on the check-in process for that person, etc. With cell phones, you can easily find each other in the check-in area. (Of course, you can't talk on cell phones while you're going through security.)

If the driver misses the flight, that's just one extra flight to pay for, not everyone's!

Under ideal driving conditions, 35 minutes is fine, but those roads are notorious for having accidents, last minute road closures (or the imfamous roving pothole crews). And what if one family member is slow moving????

I have found that the security process at Phila has improved over the years, but what if something "happens" the evening before you leave? They'll automatically tighten up security as the threat level increases. And they won't care if you miss your flight.

Good luck and enjoy your visit to Minnesota!

Post Thanks / Like

You have to be checked in two hours in advance. That right there makes the time you are leaving inadequate. Plus the traffic/travel time, security and parking. I think they are cutting themselves short by an hour.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that would be close to impossible. What if there is an accident on the way? Plus, what if they oversold the flight? Checking in too late will not guarantee your seats are still there. I know I am just citing "what - ifs" but that is just way too close IMHO. It would make me sick trying to do all that rushing around.
    Cast: ME39, DH36, DD 6, DS1
    Oct 04/Oct 05 - offsite at Westgate Vacation Villas
    May 06 - offsite at Westgate
    Aug/Sept 07 - first time on property - POFQ
    Oct 4 - Oct 13 2008 - Westgate Vacation Villas
    Oct 3 - Oct 10 2009 - off site timeshare
    May 1 - May 8 2010-Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

We just flew out of Philly in early June. We arrived the recommended time prior to our flight, and by the time we got to the gate, waited for only a very short time before boarding began. We were taking an international flight, but everyone goes through the same security If you make it, it will probably be by the skin of your teeth. And, as you probably know, Philly traffic is very unpredictable (or predictably jammed). Good luck!
    Danielle

CBR in 1994
    Polynesian in May 2010
    Polynesian in May 2013
    Wilderness Lodge in May 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Media and fly frequently from PHL (10 minutes away); I always allow 2.5 hours before the flight, even though I can park in short-term parking (company expense). The Blue Route can be unpredicatable and if there is an accident you can easily be stuck for 30 minutes before you get to I-95. Even though Saturday is typically slower at PHL, why put yourself through the worry? Leave 3 hours early, get there in plenty of time and check out the shops and food court in terminal B-C to kill time. Remember, your flight will actually start boarding 20 minutes before the time, so you really don't have much wiggle time.

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think 35 minutes is enough travel time to allow between West Chester and Philly International. According to mapquest, just putting in directions from West Chester To PHL is 37 minutes, and that's just a general West Chester, not a specific address. I live closer to King of Prussia than you do, and it takes us around 35 minutes minimum to get to the airport.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I agree with most of the posts above. For a 1:35 flight, the absolute latest you want to be getting to the security line is noon. Depending on how many other flights are heading out of town around that same time, it could take awhile to get to the terminal. I'm not sure why you would chance missing the flight by cutting it so close. I don't want to spend hours and hours at the airport terminal either - but it's not worth the stress and hassle of cutting the flight time too close. I'd allow at least an extra hour. I hope it all works out for you!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: