Quantcast Will Harry Potter Parklett make an Impact on Disney? - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by starryeyes21 View Post
    My husband and I included Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure when we went to Orlando for our honeymoon in 2008. I am a huge Disney fan and so is my husband but I also love Universal Orlando. We stayed on Universal's property and were extremely satisfied. I had never been to the hotels before and wasn't sure what to expect. Let me tell you it was a great experience. We stayed at Portofino Bay and were blown away by the attention to detail, the costumer service, and the high quality of the room. The staff was cordial and extremely helpful, housekeeping was impeccable, and the atmosphere, in general, was to die for.

Universal did everything right. They strove for excellence. Unfortunately, I think Disney sits back on its laurels far too much. Our experience at Disney was no where near as satisfying as our stay at Universal. Our room at the Wilderness Lodge was small and dingy. When complaints were made they were ignored. Mousekeeping was sub-standard and our room was barely touched.

What does this have to do with Harry Potter? I discovered all of this about Universal, almost, by accident. My husband and I decided that since we were spending two full days at Universal that we should stay on the property. How many more people will fall in love with Universal this way? Yes, they may draw people away with Harry Potter Land but they may keep them by exhibiting superior service, beautiful hotels, and wonderful theming.
    And THIS, my dear INTERCOTTERS, is EXACTLY what Disney is worried about and EXACTLY why they need to step things up.

They're not dumb. They know they've been coasting for a number of years, because they've been largely unchallenged. IMO, they've been using this time to milk as much cash as possible out of WDW.

But that time has passed and, assuming the folks running the show have even the smallest clue, they'll have to react to HP.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I included Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure when we went to Orlando for our honeymoon in 2008. I am a huge Disney fan and so is my husband but I also love Universal Orlando. We stayed on Universal's property and were extremely satisfied. I had never been to the hotels before and wasn't sure what to expect. Let me tell you it was a great experience. We stayed at Portofino Bay and were blown away by the attention to detail, the costumer service, and the high quality of the room. The staff was cordial and extremely helpful, housekeeping was impeccable, and the atmosphere, in general, was to die for.

Universal did everything right. They strove for excellence. Unfortunately, I think Disney sits back on its laurels far too much. Our experience at Disney was no where near as satisfying as our stay at Universal. Our room at the Wilderness Lodge was small and dingy. When complaints were made they were ignored. Mousekeeping was sub-standard and our room was barely touched.

What does this have to do with Harry Potter? I discovered all of this about Universal, almost, by accident. My husband and I decided that since we were spending two full days at Universal that we should stay on the property. How many more people will fall in love with Universal this way? Yes, they may draw people away with Harry Potter Land but they may keep them by exhibiting superior service, beautiful hotels, and wonderful theming.
    I love your post. These are my feelings exactly. As I said before Universal has the equipment (superior hotels and superior attractions) but hasn't figured out how to use it yet. And I do agree with you about the small children. The park is more geared to preteens thur adults.

I still can't figure out how anyone can go to EVERY attraction in both parks in one day. We go during the off season and must take two days for both parks and that is still NOT hitting each attraction.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure others have touched on this, but I don't think Disney will "lose" any attendance due to this. IOA will no doubt gain attendance, but I don't think that will correlate to Disney losing attendance.

Really the only impact I could see this having is that people will may drop a 4th or 5th day in the parks to hit up IOA to do the Potter land. So in that sense I guess it could have some potential impact, but IMO not enough to do much damage.

Disney freaked back when Uni was getting ready to open IOA because of the great attractions and themeing that they were putting into it (IOA is a really cool park by the by). So when they were building DAK, the beastly kingdom theme/idea was held at the gates, ready to be launched if IOA put a dent into Disney attendance.

IOA did not have the impact that they (Disney Mgmt) thought, so BK was put on the back burners. You can see the dragon in the entry way of DAK as well as the cave (that used to spout smoke) as part of the now defunct boat ride as things to tie in the animals of fantasy idea (AKA Beastly Kingdom).

So, I would look to WDI to have several sets of plans for the MK redesign (as well as some other big concepts). If HP land has a big impact, I would imagine that disney upper mgmt might throw some more money to WDI to let them do more to counteract. If HP land has a similar small impact that IOA had, I would look for them to stick to a more basic overhaul.
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    And THIS, my dear INTERCOTTERS, is EXACTLY what Disney is worried about and EXACTLY why they need to step things up.

They're not dumb. They know they've been coasting for a number of years, because they've been largely unchallenged. IMO, they've been using this time to milk as much cash as possible out of WDW.

But that time has passed and, assuming the folks running the show have even the smallest clue, they'll have to react to HP.
    Exactly. Please see my post in the new resort thread in this forum. I address the same thing with regards to Deluxe resorts and the impact the Four Seasons will have. Disney needs to improve because for many people, they want more than pixie dust.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

And this, my dear Ian, is why TDO has lost its power in the grand scheme of things... Corporate knew they were sitting on there hands while Universal was building the most talked about ride in theme park business... That is why the Fantasyland make over is being done inspite of TDO, not because of it... And that, my friend, is why you will see Star Tours 2.0, Monsters Inc coaster/dark ride in DHS... IImagination 4.0.. And a new land in DAK (sooner than we all think)...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Honestly, we better. I mean, for the most part the parks have been substantively untouched in the last 10 years or so.

And yes ... before some Disney Defender comes along and tells me that they added 6 parades, 14 character meet and greets, 4 stage shows, and the Kim Possible thing ... I know. They also added Soarin', Mission: Space, Test Track, Expedition Everest, and Toy Story Mania.

But to add those attractions, they also closed Kitchen Kabaret, World of Motion, Horizons, and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

Net gain in attractions? 1.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think starryeyes21 mentioned the biggest reason why we've yet to visit US. There's hardly anything there for small children. It wouldn't really be worth cutting into a Disney trip for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I think Harry Potter will have the hard core Disney fans that have refused to go to Universal in the past try it out. I do not think that Disney will lose attendence because of Harry Potter but I do think it will bring many more people to Universal. I personally love Universal, I love the atmosphere there. Is it the same as Disney....no it is much different but not in a bad way. I like both places equally the same and almost get the feeling that some people feel they are being disloyal to Disney if they like Universal. Just my opinion but I don't think Disney will lose attendence because of Harry Potter.
    Was going to pipe in with my 2 cents, but... you put it as well as I could.

I have yet to go to Universal Florida, but have been to US Hollywood a lot of times.

Definately would break away from WDW for a day to go check it out now though.

But, WDW wont lose any $$$ from me. I will just spend more at Universal.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    This was true until Disney started outsourcing Imagineering. Many Imagineers lost their jobs and guess what? Universal hired them. Fancy that, shortly after IOA was in the works and is incredibly themed.
    Well that's not universally true ( no pun intended ). The guy who spearheaded the Wizarding World project now works for Disney Imagineering. ( I forget his name, but it was in a report about Wizarding World )
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I think starryeyes21 mentioned the biggest reason why we've yet to visit US. There's hardly anything there for small children. It wouldn't really be worth cutting into a Disney trip for us.
    I don't know about that. There's Seuss Landing, there's the whole area with the Curious george stuff. The Jurassic Park area has some kid friendly rides. I have taken my small children and we all had a great time. And this coming from a Disney fanatic here.
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Universal's biggest problem is that their parks are not for small children. There is, almost, nothing for them to do. Unless you wish to spend your day spinning around on E.T. or in Seuss Landing. With and small handful of exceptions children are largely ignored. We were there in October and there were signs and props for Halloween Horror Nights everywhere. You would expect this scary attraction to be contained within Universal Studios but it even spilled out into City Walk. Many an anxious child was ushered out of City Walk in order to be spared the sight of Bloody Mary crashing through her evil mirror.

Somehow I think that Universal may fail in this respect again and theme the Harry Potter rides for tweens, teens, and adults. Where does that leave your seven year old who loves the books? Wandering around in Hogsmeade buying chocolate frogs. Kinda sad.

Will Disney lose business.....yes. Will it make a huge impact...can't say. Universal has excellent service and theming because it has to in order to compete. Disney, fearing nobody has allowed service, and attention to its parks to fall by the wayside. I would hope that Harry Potter would force Disney to begin moving forward to update the parks.
    Very well said. HP will draw people who never before had an interest in US and based on the above comments there are many who may like what they find.

Quote Originally Posted by mook3y View Post
    Was going to pipe in with my 2 cents, but... you put it as well as I could.

I have yet to go to Universal Florida, but have been to US Hollywood a lot of times.

Definately would break away from WDW for a day to go check it out now though.

But, WDW wont lose any $$$ from me. I will just spend more at Universal.
    This is a prevailing comment, "we may check it out once but Disney won't loose". If you break away from WDW for even just one day where you would have you normally spent on grounds that is lost revnue opportunity for Disney. Most people travel on a budget. If some of the funds from that budget are spent at US that is money not spent at WDW.

Just reading through this post there are a lot more poeple saying they may give US a try with HP than saying it's WDW or bust and this is on a discussion board where we have more DIsney addicts than average. Look at the buzz HP is drumming up on a Disney based web site, I can't imagine this not having an impact on Disney.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xipetotec View Post
    I don't know about that. There's Seuss Landing, there's the whole area with the Curious george stuff. The Jurassic Park area has some kid friendly rides. I have taken my small children and we all had a great time. And this coming from a Disney fanatic here.
    We have been taking my son since he was 18 months old and there is plenty to do for young kids I agree. Curious George and Jurassic Park I can't even tell you all the hours that we spent at those places. Kids love that stuff! I would not hesitate to take young kids there. They will have a great time! But I think the difference is Disney has 75% of their attractions geared toward families with young children and Universal has 75% of their attractions gearded toward families with preteens and up. That' is IMO where the two parks differ. Universal is not lacking in quality it just goes in a different direction. I think that is why every preteen and teen I know (and I am stresses that "I know") would rather spend more time in Universal than Disney.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

lockedoutlogic Guest

I see wishful thinking has taken hold here....

Harry Potter poses no threat to Disney (we went rounds about this before...so i won't get longwinded on it again)

Harry potter is big right now....as a movie has just come...
    But let's face it: the picture fell behind gerbils this week....it will be forgotten in a month.
    And then you have a year and a half (minimum) harry potter lull.
    No movies, no merchandise, no new material.
    Then they'll get alot more frenzy when the next movie comes out
    ...And then it will be forgotten again

What happens when there's no more movies?
    It WILL be forgotten

We had this debate two years ago when the last book came out - it was big then. It has disappeared since. No merchandise, no TV, just a loyal fanbase that gets all excited when something NEW comes out.

Harry potter reminds me of Batmania...Spideymania....and LOTR mania.

Bigtime...but for a distinct period of time.

It will not live on...as much as the fans seem to think it will.

The closest thing to a Disney type phenomena has been star wars (star trek to a lesser extent)....and even those have no chance to the staying power of Mickey the Great.

Disney (and subsquently Disney Parks) hold the one game changing advantage.

And that is the they are perhaps the most iconic franchise in World Pop Culture from the 20th Century....and harry potter does not measure up.

And knowing that no significant business will be drawn away from WDW (notice i said "significant"....we all know there will be a "bump" - but we all know deep down that it is merely a "bump")....WDW will do what they want, spend what they want, and do it when they are good and ready to do it.

This changes nothing....the four seasons, actually, changes things for the better

I'm sure that Disney will greenlight a thing or two with harry potter in mind....but it will be far from necessitated by merely the existence of what's over at IOA.

But let's not argue...I have my stance...the potterheads have their's. I'm not discounting the size or dedication of the HP fans - but it's the scale of the franchise that is being blown out of porportion.

Let time and dollars decide (i'll confidently rest on that)

Post Thanks / Like

Say what you want but. . . .my normal ten day Disney vacation coming this February will be shortened to seven as a result of new rides at Universal. Disney can keep doing whatever they want but my dollars will be spent elsewhere if they do.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

But let's not argue...I have my stance...the potterheads have their's. I'm not discounting the size or dedication of the HP fans - but it's the scale of the franchise that is being blown out of porportion.
    I disagree about the longevity of Harry Potter--not as a Potterhead, but as a former elementary school teacher who has seen the amazing hold that beloved children's books take on people's lives for decades and generations after they were written. But that's fine. As you said, time will tell.

For me, the point is less "How long will Harry Potter mania, specifically, last?" and more "How many people will realize, after visiting US for HP, that they really enjoy the experience?" People don't have to come back year after year specifically for HP. As previous posters have noted, they may just as easily find they enjoy the hotels, the customer service, the restaurants, and other excellent rides in the park. I don't think it's as small as a battle between HP and Disney. I think it's the larger scale war or the entire Universal experience versus the entire Disney experience, and while I personally think Disney will always have the scales tipped heavily its way, US might be a strong enough contender to take a small but significant chunk, and THAT is what I think Disney should be concerned about. HP is going to get people through the US turnstiles, no question. If US can do what I'm sure its brass intends and keep them there, that becomes the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed on Universal's property and were extremely satisfied. I had never been to the hotels before and wasn't sure what to expect. Let me tell you it was a great experience. We stayed at Portofino Bay and were blown away by the attention to detail, the costumer service, and the high quality of the room. The staff was cordial and extremely helpful, housekeeping was impeccable, and the atmosphere, in general, was to die for.

Exactly. We've experienced the same thing. So far we've stayed at the Royal Pacific and the Hard Rock, both are incredible hotels with wonderful amenities and cast members. We are staying at the Portofino Bay club level for basically the price of Poly GV (rack.) In addition to how wonderful the hotels are I love fotl access, if IOA draws big crowds I see more and more people staying on site to enjoy that privilege. The food and the coffee are two more big draws, can't Disney find a sponsor that actually makes good coffee (looking forward to the Keurig coffee at PBH )

I do, however, still believe that Disney trains it's park cast members better, we've run into some real doozies at USO. Disney is definitely ahead in the "magic" department. Ultimately though, we're willing to forego a little magic for all we gain by staying on-site at USO.
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

I think many of you are blowing the potential impact of HP out of proportion. I won't rehash everything I said in my above post, but HP will have an impact no doubt, but one land (albeit an awesome looking land) in a park will not all of a sudden create a multi-day vacation destination to rival WDW. HP will boost IOA attendance, ESPECIALLY with the local crowd no doubt. However, as many have stated, I believe that this will just have a minimal impact on WDW attendance.

People aren't going to forgo a WDW trip to go see HP. They may add a day to check it out, or skip a day at one of the lesser parks (DHS comes to mind), to check it out.

Now, just as I say above, this WILL impact WDW, but IMO not in the apocolyptic way some think. Read my above post re: the opening of IOA vs DAK relating to beastly kingdom. I think you will see a similar approach w/ the MK upgrades. It will be a reactive measure. If HP blasts out of the gates and really hurts WDW attendance, you will see big announcements, more elaborate updates to MK and some of the other parks, etc,. in order to counter. If the update is less than expected (i.e. opening of IOA), you will see a trimmed down version of the same additions, upgrades, etc.

Time will tell I suppose.
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will see a similar approach w/ the MK upgrades. It will be a reactive measure. If HP blasts out of the gates and really hurts WDW attendance, you will see big announcements, more elaborate updates to MK and some of the other parks, etc,. in order to counter. If the update is less than expected (i.e. opening of IOA), you will see a trimmed down version of the same additions, upgrades, etc.
    Honestly...I hate to say it, but I almost want HP to score Disney a bit, because I want those upgrades, and if this is how we get them...well...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    Honestly...I hate to say it, but I almost want HP to score Disney a bit, because I want those upgrades, and if this is how we get them...well...
    You know I didn't want to say it but I agree! WDW has been notorious in the past for "trimming the budget" when it comes to new attractions or upgrades (exceptions being EE, ToT, etc.). I think a good kick in the pants is sometimes a good thing. Without competition, things can get too stale and comfortable. I think HP doing really good would be some nice incentive for WDW mgmt to kick it up a notch.

All you have to do is take one look at Tokyo Disney Sea to see what can happen when you give WDI a large enough budget. I would LOVE to see a Fantasyland makeover on par w/ the level of quality at TDS. To be honest it looks like HP land is going to be up towards that standard, IMO WDW needs to step up to the plate and really go all out here.
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    Well I've *always* felt strongly that competition pushes both these parks to be bigger and better. I think if Universal had not come around, we might not have DHS or AK at all! With each place trying to one-up each other ( and other big parks in the area like Busch Gardens and SeaWorld ), it's ever more important for them to keep things fresh.

That being said, I agree and hope that HP is a huge hit so Disney comes back with something great too! I'll be happy to visit both
    Stephane Morrell

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: