Quantcast Will Harry Potter Parklett make an Impact on Disney?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Will Harry Potter Parklett make an Impact on Disney?

After reading some of the thread on another site about HP land, I was just wondering if anyone here believes it's going to make a huge impact on Disney attendance or not?

Screamscape also released something recently rumouring several major additions being "released" through Disney press releases in the near future.

I think the only thing that would happen will be more Pixar rides in HS since Pixar has put out several popular films, a probable rehab of FL and maybe some new technology that is state of the art at Epcot. There were a lot of Walls up at Epcot when I was last there as well as some walls at the Magic Kingdom, but I don't know if there will be anything updated at AK.

I doubt HP will have a huge impact on Disney attendance seeing as many guests go to both parks during their visits to Florida and a lot of people I know, do NOT like US as much as Disney. There is no magic.

What do you guys think?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Harry Potter will have the hard core Disney fans that have refused to go to Universal in the past try it out. I do not think that Disney will lose attendence because of Harry Potter but I do think it will bring many more people to Universal. I personally love Universal, I love the atmosphere there. Is it the same as Disney....no it is much different but not in a bad way. I like both places equally the same and almost get the feeling that some people feel they are being disloyal to Disney if they like Universal. Just my opinion but I don't think Disney will lose attendence because of Harry Potter.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Harry Potter will absolutely make a dent in Disney's attendance, and Disney better respond. As far as I'm concerned, the only franchise more relevant and popular than Harry Potter is Star Wars. Harry Potter is a behemoth, and though it won't crush Disney, Universal is in good position right now to close the gap.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of those who will be going to Universal i/o Disney once HPland opens. Unfortunately, Disney has lost some of its magic on my family. I admit that part of that is due to the fact that we have gone 8 times in the past 9 years, plus there have not been enough changes in those 9 years. I can't believe Beauty and the Beast is still playing at HS!!
    '86,'87,'92 - Offsite
    '93 - Disneyland Hotel
    '95 - Disneyland Hotel - Honeymoon
    '01 - Fort Wilderness Cabins - MVMCP
    '03 - Wilderness Lodge
    '03 - Caribbean Beach
    '04 - POR
    '05 - POR/Polynesian - SW Weekends
    '06 - Polynesian - MNSSHP
    '07 - POR - MNSSHP
    '09 - Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

Nope... Maybe short term, but that happens with any attraction that opens. But, in the grand sceme of things, it won't do anything. Everyone "has to go to Disney" it's like a pilgrimage, but I've never heard, "What? You're not going to Universal?" And I have never heard anyone say, "Yeah, we're going on vacation to Universal again this year"

Disney knows this and that's why there's no response. They don't have to spend any money to "combat" this new threat...

Another example of Disney resting on their laurels.

BTW - I think IOA is a better theme park than any of the Disney parks, overall, and they have probably the top 2 or 3 rides in Central Florida, but it still doesn't take anything away from Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Nope... Maybe short term, but that happens with any attraction that opens. But, in the grand sceme of things, it won't do anything.
    I think DizneyRox is 100% correct. There will be an initial rush, but nothing that's going to cause Disney major concerns. The problem with HP is that it's coming too late for Universal. This is something they should have done a few years ago. HP movies are still a big deal, but most of the serious fans of HP are getting older - and already know how it ends!

Post Thanks / Like

There aren't many bigger HP fans than me but, that being said, Universal will remain a one, maybe 2 day park, that I need to visit every few trips to WDW. I can't imagine anything that they could do that would make me feel I need to spend 7 nights there!

I already told my husband that it will be time to make the trek there when HP land opens. Since neither of us are roller coaster fanatics ( like them but don't have to ride all of them) we have always bought the 2 day pass, managed to do all we want in both parks in one, and save the second day for our next trip down. Don't think HP is going to make much difference for us.

As for resorts, NOTHING Universal has could compare to what options Disney offers IMHO.
    10/85 Off Site
    2/88 Disney Vil
    10/90 Disney Vil
    10/93 CB & GF
    5/94 WL
    12/95 Cont
    10/98 WL & CS
    12/00 DixLand & Poly
    12/04 Cabins & YC
    10/05 POFQ
    5/07 Cont & BCV
    10/07 Pop
    12/08 POR!
    5/09 Poly!
    5/10 WL
    10/10 POFQ
    5/11 CS
    10/11 PORS & BW
    5/12 Pop
    6/12 gave in & just moved

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know - it's a good question.

I don't think that the HP park will have the widespread demographic appeal that Disney does - but I know personally as much as I'm a Disney-a-holic, I would practically knock over my own 12 year old on the way into the HP park (just kidding - kind of!!)

I'm just a HUGE HP fan and would love to see it. But I don't know if LONG term I'd have the need-to-go-over-and-over thing that I do with Disney; as it is, once every 3 years or so is SO not enough!!!

-Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading a lot about how people think the Harry Potter land will be an initial bump and then it will peter out...and I can't disagree more.

Harry Potter isn't like Jurassic Park or Spiderman or Dr. Seuss. It's not only a book and movie franchise, it's got way more longevity than people realize. Kids and adults love to "live" these stories. If Universal does this right (and from construction photos it looks like it will), I can see it being a big visitor draw for possibly 20 years.

For a bit of insight, look at the 6th movie. The 7th book has been out for two years, everyone knows what's going to happen. In all respects, the movies' interest should be dwindling, yet the 6th movie broke world box-office records for the weekend.

Also, I live in Chicago, where the Harry Potter exhibit made its debut in late April. The Museum of Science and Industry, which is hosting the exhibit, has extended its hours nightly JUST to handle the crowds for the exhibition. In other words, the rest of the museum closes at 4 p.m., but the Harry Potter exhibit is open 'til 9 p.m.

It won't matter that people won't spend 5 days at Universal. Three days, even two, is a big chunk of money out of Disney pockets.

Here's another thing: I made my FIRST trip to Universal last year after many years of wonderful trips to Disney. We spent one day there with flash passes, and one day wasn't enough. I was very surprised by the standards of park service and entertainment, and I now plan at least two days at Universal when visiting Disney.

In fact, we're planning a trip to Florida for the sole reason of visiting the Harry Potter land when it opens.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I think people are measuring impact factor wrong. I don't think HP will destory Disney or put a large dent in attendance figures but It will impact Disney in many other ways.

Here are some possible examples:
    1. People planning to visit HP will most likely rent a car and this leads to them straying from Disney Property for meals and souvenirs. It will possibly also lead them to spend a Day at Sea World.

2. Some people planning to visit HP will do what I am planning to do. Spend a night or 2 at a Universal Resort for front of line access.

3. People will be exposed to more that Orlando Area (ie. Dining & Small Attractions on I-Drive) has to offer and might cut down the number of days they visit Disney parks. Disney tends to shield guests from these things.

On the positive it will force Disney to upgrade their product and offer more incentives to stay on property and visit Disney Parks exclusively. We will start seeing more neew attractions and other experiences that only Disney can offer. Competition is good, Disney started to rest on their reputation as Universal started to decline over the years now they will be forced into action.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

First, I have to admit, I'm not a Harry Potter fan. I will probably visit IOA just to see what the fuss is all about. I think that it will, in the short term, help IOA's attendance which surely needs help. I'm sure that it will have great theming. However, I don't see it affecting WDW's attendance that much. I have heard that Disney plans to introduce major new attractions in all four parks if Harry is deemed a threat. That would be great for all of us. I just don't feel that the Harry Potter franchise will have a lasting appeal for the long run. I think that once the last film has come and gone that its appeal will begin to wear off a lot more than it currently has.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that there will be an immediate impact from HP. It might not make a huge dent in their attendance, but it will be enough to take notice.

As far as people saying it won't effect Disney long term, I think that they really are talking about how Universal deals with it. At some point people will have seen what they have and want more, and I just don't know if Universal is in a position to provide more down the line. I really believe that the people that will be going there are going to have huge expectations regarding this just because of how beloved it is. Time will only tell if Universal realizes just how demanding of perfection the fans will be of the product they put out there.

In the end, with the people at the top of the company at Disney now (ie: Lasseter, Iger) they are going to be more responsive to direct challenges to their business. I still give them credit for taking drastic action at DCA, and really am hopeful they aren't quite done yet with their US themeparks.
    "Let your conscience be your guide..."

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it will affect disney.

Like many previos posters have said, I do not think it will drasticly lower the attendance BUT it will affect the bottom line.
    It is one of the things that makes me think about going to US. If I do that, not all of my vacation money will be spent at Disney. I might stay offsite, split a vacation or even (heaven forbid) not go to WDW on a trip.

Yes it will affect US's attendance. Long term and short term. As it does this, US might make similar hardcore investments to keep people coming back.

If WDW sits back and does nothing...then slowly their core buisness will erode. So WDW will do some things, but will they do them right ? (I am reffering to them dropping lots of money & proper theming & having them well thought out....)
    In the end, HP will take a chunk out of the bottom line.

Please remember HP fans range from youngsters (old enough to read & be enthralled by the movies) through teens, and the original teens who were teens when the 1st book came out are now in their 20's to us older kids at heart (30 +), so the fan base is very widespread. HP will not go away for many years...
    I still will like WDW, but hP aat US will get some of my money...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antngoof89 View Post
    After reading some of the thread on another site about HP land, I was just wondering if anyone here believes it's going to make a huge impact on Disney attendance or not?

Screamscape also released something recently rumouring several major additions being "released" through Disney press releases in the near future.

I think the only thing that would happen will be more Pixar rides in HS since Pixar has put out several popular films, a probable rehab of FL and maybe some new technology that is state of the art at Epcot. There were a lot of Walls up at Epcot when I was last there as well as some walls at the Magic Kingdom, but I don't know if there will be anything updated at AK.

I doubt HP will have a huge impact on Disney attendance seeing as many guests go to both parks during their visits to Florida and a lot of people I know, do NOT like US as much as Disney. There is no magic.

What do you guys think?
    Well I can only say from my perspective. My family ( 5 -15 people depending on the trip ) like Universal. But we only go every couple of trips for one day. But we also love Harry Potter. So we still love Disney more as a whole and will be staying at Disney, but i think we will probably be going to IOA more often for Harry Potter ( if it's good, obviously )... that being said, we'll still be going to Disney more then IOA, but even that one extra day, times many million fans ... I think it will definitely have an impact.
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

I want to add one more thing that is just a feeling I have. JKR has stopped writing HP books and I understand her reasons but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of HP. I think somewhere down the road she will write more HP books and they will be as popular as the others.

I don't think HP at Universal if done right will lose it's appeal at all, just like Pirates or Haunted Mansion hasn't lost it's appeal at Disney.

I really do hope it brings more people to the Universal parks so that they can see what a fun park it is. Besides their great rollercoasters you can't beat Spiderman or The Mummy. I also think ET beats Peter Pan, MIB beats Buzz, and Shrek beats MickeysPhil.

My travel agent has told me many times that the Universal Hotels are four star hotels. I think Universal has the "equipment" to give Disney a run for it's money but they haven't yet figured out how to use that equipment.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not forget that, at the heart of it, Harry Potter is a BOOK CHARACTER! And, at that, a CHILDREN'S BOOK CHARACTER.

Not that it's only for children, but you know what I mean.

All the adult HP geeks, like me, who now have YOUNG children (mine are boys, 3 and 5), will undoubtedly pass along the stories to THEIR children, who might or might not become HP fans as well.

The potential for HP land at IOA to be a HUGE draw for DECADES into the future is there.

People keep referring to just the movies, but let's not forget, where HP is concerned, "It all started with a book..."
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

The Disney brass is absolutely going to notice Harry Potter Land at IOA if I am any indication. When I got to Disney World I do not leave property unless I’m going to Walgreens or Goodings. When I make one of those trips I’m gone for an hour tops. Once Harry Potter Land opens at IOA I will be paying a visit for a day or two. I dare say I will stay at one of the Universal resorts for front of the line access and for the convenience of being there. Rather than spend my full week vacation at a Disney resort now it will probably be five or six nights. This will also keep me out of the Disney shops and restaurants for a few days. I would be willing to bet that I’m not an anomaly with regards to Harry Potter Land opening.
    Clay
    Old Dominion University
    Class of 2001

I got bit by the Big Blue Beast and I loved it...

Post Thanks / Like

The Harry Potter franchise (books & movies) is already a literary classic and is destined to be around for a very long, long time. As a fantasy-adventure, it is timeless, and it's popularity will not be dampened by cultural changes or or technological advances in society. A good comparison to me would be "Star Wars". The first SW movie came out in 1977, over 32 years ago. Even with the 16 year gap between the original 3 movies and the "prequels" the last SW movie is now over 4 years old, and yet the SW franchise is still running strong, even right there at DHS, where Disney still makes a major deal out of it every year (SW weekends).

Harry Potter, like Star Wars, has already become a pop culture phenomenon, and his popularity will span generation after generation of kids and adults alike, just like SW, so I see the "Wizarding World of HP" (it's not HP-land) at IOA as being a very long term investment by Universal (I'm sure the head honchos at Disney are still wishing they had been able to obtain the theme park rights).

I don't know a lot of the details of the "Wizarding World" other than it involves re-theming the Dueling Dragons coaster to be a part of it, and will include Hogsmeade village and part of the Hogwarts castle, but I'll bet it will be a very long-term (decades) draw for a lot of visitors for many years to come.

I can't say what the short or long term effect on WDW will be, but whatever impact it has, it's not going to fade away after just a few years. I see Harry as being a very long-term and wildly popular resident at IOA.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Wizarding World will undoubtedly have an impact on attendance at WDW both now and in the future.

Harry Potter is a world wide phenomenon which will draw interest and will pull people away from WDW. Disney made a huge bid to get the rights to HP because they knew it would be a draw. Here is how I look at it:

- Annual visitors like myself will be tempted to check out Wizarding World. Because the bulk of the ticket cost at Universal is the first day's cost we are more likely to spend a 2nd day checking out both parks resulting in not only one but two lost days of revenue from my family to WDW. We've been to the Orlando area 15 times and only once visited Universal. We never had an interest to go back but with the addition of Wizarding World and my kids like of the HP franchise it's very likely we will visit at least once and if done right more often. Our normal trip is 9-10 days in the Orlando area and always get 9-10 day park passes for WDW. Of those days many are repeating the same rides and attractions. I would have no problem spending one or two of those days somewhere else if done right. Since we spend all of our time now on WDW property a day or two away is lost revenue from food, to park passes to souvenirs. We will still stay on grounds but we will be loured away from Disney and some of our money that has always for to Disney will go somewhere else.

- First time visitors will have a new temptation. 1st is they don't have the love of WDW we have nor may not realize the scope of WDW. The HP draw will undoubtedly draw more to Universal for one and more than likely multiple days. This draw will also help fill the hotels at Universal and will swing patrons away from WDW.

-HP is a worldwide franchise and since Orlando has a great number of overseas visitors I'm sure many will make a point of it to stop at Universal to see HP.

Anyone who is pulled to Universal may stay at one of their hotels, will eat meals there and buy souvenirs which is lost revenue to Disney.

Disney has a great brand name and retains well but a whole new land at Universal with one of the hottest franchises going is going to create buzz and interest and will pull customers from WDW. To counter WDW needs to step up over the next few years to create a buzz of their own. Competition will only make Disney's Parks better which is a good thing.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Am I wrong is understanding the HP Land is handful of rides (I think 3) a restaurant and a couple of gift shops? It's not a whole park, if I were to compare it to anything it would be Frontierland at MK.

The signature ride appears to be pretty interesting, but they are going to re-theme Dueling Dragons as the other big ride.

I don't see a lot of staying power here... Again, I think Universal will do a fantastic job theming this, etc, but factoring in the cost of tickets, transportation, time, etc, I just don't see how this can offer a lot of competition...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: